Directx 10/11 support stopped working

overbymeister

Chieftain
I have over 500 hours of gameplay on CIV5, and for the last 100 of them I managed to play in directx10/11 mode after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. But recently the directx 10/11 option disappeared again...! Now im back to directx 9, even tough I had both options just a few weeks ago! I have checked and re-checked all my drivers, they are up to date, both through windows update and the manufacturers homepages.

One possible reason could be that lately, windows have been installing quite a few updates. But since i've had a pause in my gameplay lately, I can't say for sure if that's the reason why the directx 10/11 option now is gone. I know for sure that my videocard support directx 10, but not 11. However, dxdiag finds nothing wrong. I also noticed that I now have directx 11 up and running on my computer, and I'm pretty sure I only had 10 before...

If anyone could help me out here, I would buy you a beer!

I have over 500 hours of gameplay on CIV5, and for the last 100 of them I managed to play in directx10/11 mode after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. But recently the directx 10/11 option disappeared again...! Now im back to directx 9, even tough I had both options just a few weeks ago! I have checked and re-checked all my drivers, they are up to date, both through windows update and the manufacturers homepages.

One possible reason could be that lately, windows have been installing quite a few updates. But since i've had a pause in my gameplay lately, I can't say for sure if that's the reason why the directx 10/11 option now is gone. I know for sure that my videocard support directx 10, but not 11. However, dxdiag finds nothing wrong. I also noticed that I now have directx 11 up and running on my computer, and I'm pretty sure I only had 10 before...

If anyone could help me out here, I would buy you a beer!

Find your Steam application file, right-click on it and select "Properties". Then select "Compatibility mode" and let me know what mode it thinks it's running it.

Thanks!

Find your Steam application file, right-click on it and select "Properties". Then select "Compatibility mode" and let me know what mode it thinks it's running it.

Thanks!
Hmmm... strange. I did as you said, and the compatibility mode box where checked and preset for windows vista. But both the checkbox and the curtain for windows options are grey, and I can't change them.

Hmmm... strange. I did as you said, and the compatibility mode box where checked and preset for windows vista. But both the checkbox and the curtain for windows options are grey, and I can't change them.

That's probably the problem. Click the button for "Change for all users" at the bottom of that tab, and change the compatibility to either Vista Service Pack 2, or Windows 7.

Let me know if that does the trick.

That's probably the problem. Click the button for "Change for all users" at the bottom of that tab, and change the compatibility to either Vista Service Pack 2, or Windows 7.

Let me know if that does the trick.
dshirk, I believe owe you a beer :D

I clicked the button for "Change for all users", and as by magic, I was able to change the compability to Windows 7. Now the directx 10/11 option is back. It didn't go back straight away, I had to reboot first.

Many Thanks!

Top Bottom