Are the religions useless?

Religion adds to your options but it's not overpowered.

For the other civs - ability to become a player on the religions front depends on rare lucky happenings such as stumbling onto Religious City-States ...

It's really not that difficult to produce faith for any civ if they commit to it, and there's enough effective pantheons that even if you don't get to choose the first few, you still can get powerful ones.

I am using Religion mostly for the Great People that come with Order/Rationalism. By that time I can generate 100-200 Faith per turn so it can get me a lot of GP fast.

P.S. Why do you name Maya here? They can't generate more faith than any other civ, they just gain science from Shrines.

shrine +1 faith per turn

Mayan replacement - Pyramid +2 faith, +2science per turn

And it is early enough in the tech tree to matter in the Pantheon and Establish Religion races that occur at the start ...

It's really not that difficult to produce faith for any civ if they commit to it, and there's enough effective pantheons that even if you don't get to choose the first few, you still can get powerful ones.

Most Pantheon believes are somewhat geographical in nature - if you are not the first to pick you risk losing the one that would've provided the most early bonuses in that particular situation and are (potentially) forced to pick one that starts to provide bonuses later during med-late game...

The pantheons are always worth getting early.

It offers some very good synergies, for example Carthage plus free harbors (insta trade routes) with the +2 science per trade route pantheon? Winner? You blaze through the early tech tree :D

+ 10 % food + 15% Food + 1 food per temple and shrine = population explosion. Religion should be way more in dilpo hits imho, they had to it this way, so some peoples feelings would not get hurt. Do not blame the game maker here, blame people who cannot tell games from reality.

Religion causes influence to degrade 25% slower on ally city states, and religious community can give you 15% production in decent cities. Tithe can get you large amounts of gold if you spread it and same for culture with world church.

Religion is not op but iit does give you a number of powerful benefits. Now I always get a gp wioth liberty for quick enhance and more early faith to buy things when they are cheap.

Religion imo, you either have to focus hard on generating and be all about religion, or set up religion for the mid-late game bonuses you can find.

I especially like the Pantheons. Not only for powergaming (though they ARE good) but they give more of the feeling that your early civ is growing organically with its environment, not as a stack of abilities plopped down onto a random map (are you around deserts? Maybe the people will find something cool and interesting about the desert spaces). I also like that there isn't necessarily one "best" choice--it all depends on the situation you find yourself in.

I've found religion is anything but useless. Sure there is no Religious victory, but there are just so many options and things to select from religion to enhance your civ, it really does change the game. My old tried and true Babylon kicks even more scientific ass with the ability to purchase GP with faith. I've really got to try one of the new civs to check this out, and can't deciede between Maya or Celts. Any suggestions and/or tips for religious options with those two?

I've noticed one of the new maps is a forested planet. That's got to be a huge advantage for the Celts.

I've found religion is anything but useless. Sure there is no Religious victory, but there are just so many options and things to select from religion to enhance your civ, it really does change the game. My old tried and true Babylon kicks even more scientific ass with the ability to purchase GP with faith. I've really got to try one of the new civs to check this out, and can't deciede between Maya or Celts. Any suggestions and/or tips for religious options with those two?

Maya lets you get "free" GPs upon researching Theology, which is extremely helpful in letting you get GS or GE for strategic moments of the game.

As for religion...

Maybe something like this?

Spoiler :

For my money, the Byzantines are hands down the best religious civ, but the Maya and Celts are also very good.

Happiness is too easy to get in this game so I ignore simple happy plus unless Im planning insane expansion. Cathedrals can be really helpful to get that culture up, plus 3 culture and artist slot, pretty much mandatory for power culture games prob. If you're focues on spreading world church or tithe can have great results. One building belief or holy warriors can really help you use that faith though late game gp farming can be quite powerful.

Get Just War and start spreading your religion around. Declare war. Profit.

If that doesn't do it for you, you can always spam great people with it. That alone makes it worthwhile.

I especially like the Pantheons. Not only for powergaming (though they ARE good) but they give more of the feeling that your early civ is growing organically with its environment, not as a stack of abilities plopped down onto a random map (are you around deserts? Maybe the people will find something cool and interesting about the desert spaces). I also like that there isn't necessarily one "best" choice--it all depends on the situation you find yourself in.

One game, everywhere I looked, there were Flood Plains, enough to found 3 giant cities on top of. Since that counts as desert for the desert folklore perk, my cities were rolling in faith, and I was the first to found a religion.

shrine +1 faith per turn

Mayan replacement - Pyramid +2 faith, +2science per turn

And it is early enough in the tech tree to matter in the Pantheon and Establish Religion races that occur at the start ...

Yeah, Shrines/Pyramids come with Pottery, which can literally be the first tech you research, and since Pottery leads to writing, it probably should be.

Don't underestimate the ethiopians. Stele is incredibly useful and Stele first builds can get religion even faster than Mayans while also helping culture.

As said, the bonuses make it quite powerful. Powerful enough that some of the happiness ones should have diminishing returns after the first 5 :c5happy: or so.

Religion victory would work really well though. Say, if 67% or more citizens across the world are followers, a short countdown occurs, and then you win.

I do think they need a greater variety of bonuses, and maybe make the bonuses that appear in a given game random (so that each game will be different). Of course, they'd have to balance out economic/combat bonuses, but it would be nice.

Religion is far from useless, even in the end game you can hire Great Persons (albeit for exorbitant prices). I would really like to see some kind of Apostolic Palace though....and I would also like to see multiple religions coexisting in a city more easily.

ALSO, I would really like it if there was a nice city screenmouseover tooltip as to what a given religion's bonuses are. It's annoying to constantly have to click the religion panel to find out what bonuses each religion confers. It'd be easier to have a separate city screen panel.

Top Bottom