Less known facts about armies

I had a bad surprise yesterday. :(

It is known, that an army composed of Marines or Berserks can perform an amphibian attack.

But a mixed Army composed of Marines and Berserks is no longer amphibian. :eek:

Now that is an interesting lesser-known army fact! Who'd have thought? It must do a check like:

1. Is the first unit amphibious? If no, the army isn't amphibious. If yes, go to 2.
  2. Is the next unit the same unit? If no, the army isn't amphibious. If yes, ask this again until all units have been looked at.
  3. If all units have bee looked at and are the same, then the army is amphibious.

Whereas really, it should look at whether the unit is amphibious, not whether it's the same, in step 2.

This is probably a pretty rarely encountered situation - not only do you have to be playing as the Vikings, but you have to add a pretty old unit to an army! I know I generally try to keep armies limited to pretty recent units - perhaps a Pikeman in with my Medieval Infantry, or a Cavalry army instead of Tanks if I need that extra movement, but if I'm adding Marines, I'd probably be inclined to wait until I had an additional Marine to add rather than a Berserker - unless I needed to attack right away, wanted some extra attacking strength, and only a Berserker was available and amphibious!

...not only do you have to be playing as the Vikings, but you have to add a pretty old unit to an army!
Quite the opposite. I had build the Pentagon and added the Marine to an existing Army of Berserks. ;)

My usual approach is to add Tanks to my Armies of Knights and Camel Guards (2 MP), while the Cavalry (3 MP) keep to themself, unless I have allready Modern Armor.

Can a caravel transport a fully filled army without Pentagon ? I think it should but when I tried doing that this morning the army just wouldn't get on the caravel.

Nope. Caravels hold three. The army counts as a unit as well as the constituent units.

So if you want to ship armies you have to only put in two units for Caravels and limit to 3 for Galleons.

An aircraft which is army flagged will bombard indefinitely until the whole world is in flames. Ask this guy here <==

A ground unit which is army flagged, if is given attack and defensive values with Quint's editor, will crash the game upon entering combat. So much for limiting the construction of special units :cry:

Now that is an interesting lesser-known army fact! Who'd have thought? It must do a check like:

1. Is the first unit amphibious? If no, the army isn't amphibious. If yes, go to 2.
  2. Is the next unit the same unit? If no, the army isn't amphibious. If yes, ask this again until all units have been looked at.
  3. If all units have bee looked at and are the same, then the army is amphibious.

Whereas really, it should look at whether the unit is amphibious, not whether it's the same, in step 2.

This is probably a pretty rarely encountered situation - not only do you have to be playing as the Vikings, but you have to add a pretty old unit to an army! I know I generally try to keep armies limited to pretty recent units - perhaps a Pikeman in with my Medieval Infantry, or a Cavalry army instead of Tanks if I need that extra movement, but if I'm adding Marines, I'd probably be inclined to wait until I had an additional Marine to add rather than a Berserker - unless I needed to attack right away, wanted some extra attacking strength, and only a Berserker was available and amphibious!
it's interesting if you're playing with a modded version with more amphibious units.

I didn't want to wait till marines to attack one-tile city islands, so I added a 3/1/1/ Crossbow to the game, which is amphibious.

Makes the AI somewhat less predictable also. :eek:

Quite the opposite. I had build the Pentagon and added the Marine to an existing Army of Berserks. ;)

My usual approach is to add Tanks to my Armies of Knights and Camel Guards (2 MP), while the Cavalry (3 MP) keep to themself, unless I have allready Modern Armor.

:lol: Nice, I forgot about that possibility. That would make sense to give the army some extra strength, but it somewhat defeats the purpose when it costs the amphibious trait.

An aircraft which is army flagged will bombard indefinitely until the whole world is in flames. Ask this guy here <==

A ground unit which is army flagged, if is given attack and defensive values with Quint's editor, will crash the game upon entering combat. So much for limiting the construction of special units :cry:

Well, I guess that's why they disable attack/defense for armies in Firaxis's editor then. Thanks for reporting the results; I'll look into adding a catch for that case in the editor now that it doesn't work.

The aircraft army sounds... interesting. Does it stop once the whole world is in flames?

About aircraft armies:

They will bombard improvements within their range until everything is destroyed just as ground armies can technically pillage forever as long as you have moves to move to another tile. Since planes don't need to move they can bombard the landscape until all is gone.

However their movements are consumed if they bombard a unit. I don't know maybe it could have it's uses. A plane with short range cluster bombing all improvements within its range? I dont know.

About aircraft armies:

They will bombard improvements within their range until everything is destroyed just as ground armies can technically pillage forever as long as you have moves to move to another tile. Since planes don't need to move they can bombard the landscape until all is gone.

However their movements are consumed if they bombard a unit. I don't know maybe it could have it's uses. A plane with short range cluster bombing all improvements within its range? I dont know.

Yikes, never thought of this. What about a submarine army? Would that wipe out everything within the sub's range? That would be awesome. And how about an ICBM army? Better not even think about that.

And how about an ICBM army? Better not even think about that.
Well that's not possible in a regular game. I tried. Maybe one could make such an army using the editor but even that seems improbable as an unlimited number of ICBM attacks at the price of only 3 or 4 ICBMs and an army would hugely disbalance the game mechanics.

I dont think it works. Nukes are like cruise missiles. I look at the 'nuclear weapon' flag as a Tier 2 for cruise weapons. They act the same, but Tier 2 just kills everything around.

In previous test cruise missiles and nukes behaved very similar to each other. I think it will just ignore the army flag and blow up. So far from what i've seen cruise missles overwrite any other bombard related flag just like nukes, and nukes overwrite cruise missile. Nothing gets in between those. Not even the army flag.

Well that's not possible in a regular game. I tried.
:shifty: This scares me.

In previous test cruise missiles and nukes behaved very similar to each other.
:eek::eek::eek: This scares me more.

These are the kinds of minds I like to form MPP's with. :D

Top Bottom