Tilting at the Deity windmill

The Hall of Fame isn't about points scored, it's categorised by victory date and is a completely separate form of game-training which requires such abstractions as reloading a Tiny Pangea until your rival/s start really close to your first city and then attempting to capture their only Towns before they can even build more than a Warrior for defence - so also involves the luck factor of your Unit defeating their Unit.

When I first saw the list the biggest gaps available to get an entry were on the Huge maps, where there wasn't even 10 people who had completed a Huge Emperor Science win, for example. I completed a lame Dutch Huge Science win in about 1798 which got me on the board (about 8th), but it was rejected because I didn't have the requisite save-games at the exact dates they required - because I never start a game with the intention of making a HoF game, in this map I just happen to notice how easy it was as I was playing.

So the HoF is more about how quickly than how many points and also how quickly within the framework of the rules the HoF allows (such as minimum number of opponents) and does not differentiate between, for example, Continents and Pangea - (good luck getting the fastest domination possible on an Archipelago map on Monarch etc etc.).

But it provides a fun objective for some and people, such as Spoonwood, get a huge amount of enjoyment from attempting to solve early victories on all difficulties and sizes.

So speed is the key, Buttercup? I see, thanks. Oh well, I'm not too bothered about the HofF. I'm really pleased to have won at Deity, learned more doing it and also found (what may be) an original way to go about it. I suppose at some point I should tackle a huge archipelago or something but I am not overly keen on the idea. Multi-player is another interesting way to go, or perhaps a succession game. I'm open to offers on both fronts.

What is an XOTM?

An XOTM in itself is nothing. However, there are 2 competitions every month called the GAME OF THE MONTH. One is for games played using C3C while the other is for playing games using ptw. The former is called the COTM and the latter the GOTM. XOTM is a combined term for the 2 with X standing for C or G as the case may be.

An XOTM in itself is nothing. However, there are 2 competitions every month called the GAME OF THE MONTH. One is for games played using C3C while the other is for playing games using ptw. The former is called the COTM and the latter the GOTM. XOTM is a combined term for the 2 with X standing for C or G as the case may be.

Thanks. How do I know whether I'm playing C3C or PTW?

The words GOTM and COTM are mentioned in the title of the respective threads which allows one to know which is which. Also, at present the running COTM is number 115, an Emperor level game and the newly initiated GOTM is number 143, a monarch level space race. Also note that in a GOTM we almost always (except for Diety games) have a sponsored victory condition which is the only way to win awards while the COTM has an open victory, that is you can win in any way you want.

You're on a Steam-install, right? In that case, you'd only be able to submit an entry for (or compare a solo-game with other players for) the COTMs, because XOTMs have to be played using the appropriate .exe file:
  • Civ3Conquests.exe for COTMs
  • Civilization3X.exe (PTW) for GOTMs
And as a Steam-based Civ3[In!]Complete player, you won't have the Civilization3X.exe in your installation -- unless they've also changed that recently, following their re-enabling of MP Conquests-games via their servers...?

(Or did you manage to find yourself a legitimate (non-CD-requiring) PTW .exe file elsewhere...? And if so, where?!? 'Cos I want one!)

Although you can certainly play the GOTM games by opening the 4000BC saves via the Conquests .exe, you'll then be playing them under the Conquests rules (with respect to corruption, Worker-job times, etc.) -- and with the Conquests bugs as well (AICivs don't use Armies, Barbs have tunnel-vision, and invisible Subs can cause the AICivs to accidentally DoW each other and you) -- which is why your game would then not be comparable with the 'legitimate' GOTM-players.

You're on a Steam-install, right? In that case, you'd only be able to submit an entry for (or compare a solo-game with other players for) the COTMs, because XOTMs have to be played using the appropriate .exe file:
  • Civ3Conquests.exe for COTMs
  • Civilization3X.exe (PTW) for GOTMs
And as a Steam-based Civ3[In!]Complete player, you won't have the Civilization3X.exe in your installation -- unless they've also changed that recently, following their re-enabling of MP Conquests-games via their servers...?

(Or did you manage to find yourself a legitimate (non-CD-requiring) PTW .exe file elsewhere...? And if so, where?!? 'Cos I want one!)

Although you can certainly play the GOTM games by opening the 4000BC saves via the Conquests .exe, you'll then be playing them under the Conquests rules (with respect to corruption, Worker-job times, etc.) -- and with the Conquests bugs as well (AICivs don't use Armies, Barbs have tunnel-vision, and invisible Subs can cause the AICivs to accidentally DoW each other and you) -- which is why your game would then not be comparable with the 'legitimate' GOTM-players.

Thanks. I got about 10% of that :D. I'll just assume GOTM is off limits.

I have to say, you're a very unusual chap. We're all different and it takes all sorts, but I have to admit I've never seen the like of you before on the Civ forums. You have everyone walk you through your games, helping you achieve some personal goal, and then suddenly decide you've achieved everything you wanted to achieve and are at a loss as to what to do with the game now. Sort of like playing an Adventure Game like Myst by following a Walkthrough and then saying 'that was cool' and moving on.

I'm not being nasty, I mean this in the nicest way possible, variety is the spice of life. But Civilisation games are mostly about using the basic rule-set and basic AI to enable endless variety for the user to have a game to play, basically, for life, hardware willing.

So you've achieved one Victory Condition on one Tiny Deity map? Are you not in the slightest bit motivated to try even having another game but using a different Civ as your starting Civ? Another game but on a larger map? Try for a different Victory Condition? Try for a personal best completion date? Try the Scenarios? Try different difficulties with different start locations? Heck, just playing anything because you like the game as a competent and fun time-killer?

If you play Poker do you quit after winning your first hand? If you play Football do you retire after winning the Cup? If you sell houses, do you quit after selling your first house? To throw in another analogy, it's like training to be a Chef and then quitting after getting your diploma and serving your first customer "thanks for all the help guyz, all the time and effort we spent to serve this one meal was so awesome, I'm off to train to be a Interior Decorator now, have fun".

It's not like the game's going to evaporate into dust. You get the urge to play a map, it's there.

Thanks. I got about 10% of that :D. I'll just assume GOTM is off limits.

What tjs282 means is that you need to have the ptw executable to play gotm (although the COTM is played on Conquests) . If his conjecture that you have the steam version of the game is right, then perhaps you won't be able to play a GOTM but you can still attempt the COTMs.

What tjs282 means is that you need to have the ptw executable to play gotm (although the COTM is played on Conquests) . If his conjecture that you have the steam version of the game is right, then perhaps you won't be able to play a GOTM but you can still attempt the COTMs.

Thanks for the translation. OK, I use steam so I must be a COTM person.

I have to say, you're a very unusual chap. We're all different and it takes all sorts, but I have to admit I've never seen the like of you before on the Civ forums. You have everyone walk you through your games, helping you achieve some personal goal, and then suddenly decide you've achieved everything you wanted to achieve and are at a loss as to what to do with the game now. Sort of like playing an Adventure Game like Myst by following a Walkthrough and then saying 'that was cool' and moving on.

I'm not being nasty, I mean this in the nicest way possible, variety is the spice of life. But Civilisation games are mostly about using the basic rule-set and basic AI to enable endless variety for the user to have a game to play, basically, for life, hardware willing.

So you've achieved one Victory Condition on one Tiny Deity map? Are you not in the slightest bit motivated to try even having another game but using a different Civ as your starting Civ? Another game but on a larger map? Try for a different Victory Condition? Try for a personal best completion date? Try the Scenarios? Try different difficulties with different start locations? Heck, just playing anything because you like the game as a competent and fun time-killer?

If you play Poker do you quit after winning your first hand? If you play Football do you retire after winning the Cup? If you sell houses, do you quit after selling your first house? To throw in another analogy, it's like training to be a Chef and then quitting after getting your diploma and serving your first customer "thanks for all the help guyz, all the time and effort we spent to serve this one meal was so awesome, I'm off to train to be a Interior Decorator now, have fun".

It's not like the game's going to evaporate into dust. You get the urge to play a map, it's there.

I haven't announced my retirement, Buttercup. I was just wondering out loud what else I could do now I've achieved a personal goal or two.

I haven't announced my retirement, ... . I was just wondering out loud what else I could do now I've achieved a personal goal or two.

;)

Which was clearly evident from your continued triumphs and posts, so I'm a little confused about the post you are responding to.

Try a single city cultural victory on deity. Its a real humdinger.

Or play without any victory conditions and try to keep every civ alive.

Try mixing up the geography... old/hot/dry as the Egyptians or something like that.

Ha ha, could play with 1 opponent on a huge map.

I've always found the UN victory to be the hardest. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a UN victory - Abe Lincoln can suck it. :mischief:

For myself, I've found that the higher the difficulty level, the more formulaic the strategies become, which over time means that the lesser difficulty levels have become more fun because it allows me to play with more personality. Sid is nice just to say: "I can beat it," but after a while you realize its just 'do this, then this, then this.' Below Regent is just way too boring though, but Regent and Monarch allows you a lot of freedom in decision making (roleplaying as the leader you selected) while at least giving you a surprise every now and again in terms of challenges the opposition might set before you.

In my current game, Regent (but edited), I had a German army full of 5/2 knights dash into a vulnerable but wealthy region of my Russian lands while my forces were concentrated on protecting my distant frontiers from hordes of barbarians and encroaching Chinese - I was trying to establish the USSR's actual borders before other civs could settle on 'my' lands (I'll have to wipe out two Korean cites at some point, alas). An invading army is not too much of a challenge, I realize, if played straight up, but fun to deal with as I switched to a defensive posture while maneuvering forces to deal with it without my two big factories giving up wonder production, and not giving up on my temporary objective.

My current *thing* is, as I mentioned as one of the suggestions above, maintaining world balance while playing on Marla's Earth Map with 31 civs and no airports (if you want to speed up turns late game, hold down the shift key to speed up enemy movements, and disable airports in the editor - but I've disabled airports because they are too OP). Its all about projecting power with navies. Fun fun fun!

:D

one can always reproduce a 4000bc save from any save of a (HoF or any other) game, simply by either
-opening the save you have got, close it again and then "Play the same World" or what the starting option is
-loading the save into CA2, rightclick on the map screen there and get the seed number and the settings of the game under "properties"... and produce a new 4000bc save from that.

t_x

one can always reproduce a 4000bc save from any save of a (HoF or any other) game, simply by either
-opening the save you have got, close it again and then "Play the same World" or what the starting option is
-loading the save into CA2, rightclick on the map screen there and get the seed number and the settings of the game under "properties"... and produce a new 4000bc save from that.

t_x

This is a good idea. My Celts win might also be winnable (in capable hands) at SID because the start position is so favourable: own continent with plenty of luxuries and a full set of resources. But if you reload the same map I guess you don't necessarily start in exactly the same spot.

I was looking through my autosaves the other day, and there's a 4000BC permanently in your autosaves it seems :)

Top Bottom