Do You Want XCOM Squad in game?

Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
I do hope we'll get a few more "Future" units to be on par with this. Nothing too crazy, just some stuff that can slog it out with this and the GDR, I'm sure something awesome can be figured out.

Also, I'm sure there'll be mods removing the X-Com thing from the game if you don't like it.

I hate this XCOM unit. I still absolutely despise the GDR's addition.

In all the Civ V I've played I've never once come across an enemy GDR. Though that might be because of mods I use to purposely rid of it. :p I will be doing the same with this XCOM unit.

Yes x1,000, there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't expand the late game units with an upgrade to the paratrooper, and there is no reason why they shouldn't use a unit that comes from a game that is built within their own company.

Were this a question in a vacuum, I would have voted No. However, that's not the question. The question is essentially, "Given that it has been included in the game, do you want it removed." And I'm not bothered at all by it so as to want it removed. It's a fun light-hearted addition that won't harm gameplay because it's so late. However, when it comes to gameplay, it serves a useful purpose. It's a rapid deployment unit that can appear wherever you need to to quickly.

So I voted Yes.

Agree with this. Seeing as how we could not have conceived of the unit being in the game ourselves before this demo, the poll question implies that we somehow have the power to "band together" to have it removed. So after I downloaded Civ 5 did I say to myself, "This game really needs an XCOM Squad unit"? No. Do I like the XCOM Squad unit presented here? Yes. Do I want it removed? Don't care. Should the people who voted 'No' is this poll lighten up? Yes. It occupies a trivial area of the game and the resources they devoted to putting it in can't be reassigned to other things deemed more appropriate. It's a fait accompli as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with this. Seeing as how we could not have conceived of the unit being in the game ourselves before this demo, the poll question implies that we somehow have the power to "band together" to have it removed. So after I downloaded Civ 5 did I say to myself, "This game really needs an XCOM Squad unit"? No. Do I like the XCOM Squad unit presented here? Yes. Do I want it removed? Don't care. Should the people who voted 'No' is this poll lighten up? Yes. It occupies a trivial area of the game and the resources they devoted to putting it in can't be reassigned to other things deemed more appropriate. It's a fait accompli as far as I'm concerned.

If what Firaxis is saying is true, then we, the fans, have the power,

They clearly mentioned the game wasn't finished yet and was full of bugs, thus, it means they still have the power of to change things, it doesn't stop them from removing units, features, aspects etc.

So yes, we, do have the power to remove units, if there's a great negative reception to something the right thing to do is to remove it.

It's clear that the reception is positive, it's not what I want, but after a while, I'll get used to it, I got used to isabella being included as a 10th civ despite me paying money and I know I made a big deal out of that.

Do I like it? No.
Will I learn to accept it? Yes.

Did people accept GDR? No.
Did they learn to accept it? They still bought the game.

I will still buy BNW no matter what.

It provides a new unit for the future era which is severally lacking in content.

If you don't like it, a mod will show up within a day removing it or renaming it to something less fake. There's no bad to having it in (i.e. there's no downside for there being more official assets to play with)

This game is too realistic to have an X-Com project.
I mean they have worked so hard to keep realism and historic content in the game, that this just throws out the whole feel of the game. It's just too futuristic for the times we have.
I mean it just spits in the face of our history. It's a slap in the face too all the real life people who died when Rome and Carthage were fighting to get our race to Alpha Centurai. That was the greatest, proudest moment of my life. Hail Caesar, our immortal overlord.

I'm hoping that, although unlikely, if there's a third expansion pack, it would actually focus on the ending eras and add some Futuristic Stuff, I would have NO issue with that, in fact, I'd welcome it.

Some thoughts:

1. It is advertising, but I don't think it is a battle to be won. Like I said in another thread, this is a trend that is occurring all across the industry.

2. It isn't all bad; it will come late like the GDR, and it gives something for modders and/or folk who want to play around with future tech. And as mentioned before, better that it is XCom than a lame attempt to come up with something that sounds realistic.

3. I would prefer if it wasn't in but in all honesty it doesn't bother me enough to care too much one way or another. Seeing as it won't affect my gameplay unless I let it (purposely teching to it and using it in the same way as GDR) it can practically be ignored.

If what Firaxis is saying is true, then we, the fans, have the power,

Well, they also said they rarely ever have to abandon content they've created. So, unless the Pueblo Council objects to the XCOM unit, it's here to stay.

It provides a new unit for the future era which is severally lacking in content.

If you don't like it, a mod will show up within a day removing it or renaming it to something less fake. There's no bad to having it in (i.e. there's no downside for there being more official assets to play with)

Yes I agree here, I am on the side that loves the idea of expanding the late game units, and something that can stand nearly toe to toe with the GDR (which I also love) is a good thing.

If you don't like it, it is a very simply xml file that will have it removed. :king:

Since I don't see the third option "I don't realy care will it be in game or not" I voted "Yes"

Well, they also said they rarely ever have to abandon content they've created. So, unless the Pueblo Council objects to the XCOM unit, it's here to stay.

Plus, if the results of this poll are typical of the entire community, why would they even consider abandoning it. I would even bet that the percentage of people who would be bothered by the XCOM would be higher among those of us who frequent this forum.

I voted that they shouldn't be in Civ, because it's Civ, though that doesn't mean that I'm dissapointed in it's inclusion. I think it's a fun easter egg and a nice contemporary to the GDR, though unnecassary.

And George Washington duking it out with Patton's Landsknechts in 1500 BCE is supposed to be better??!

Yes indeed my friend! Far better! :lol:

Next maybe they'll give us the Battlestar Galactica or the USS Enterprise NC-1701. Why not? How about the Death Star! :lol:

Firaxis should have used the time adding in an XCOM unit to making sure each civ gets its own great people. Instead of Patton being spawned as German, or Chinese, or Russian general (In a previous game of mine he was Spanish). I think he would be apalled by that. Especially, a Russian general. He could not stand the Russians. In any case, there are so many things they have made better. They certainly could add some depth to espionage for one thing.

Perfectly fine with it. I'm not the kind of person who gets bothered about "lore" problems, and instead I concern myself with gameplay issues. Paratrooper is a cool unit with a lot of tactical applications. Giving it an upgrade opens the game up to some interesting strategies toward the end when time is running out. So call it an X-com soldier, special forces, or the tooth fairy death squad for all I care. What interests me is how it plays.

Top Bottom