Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
Civ2 had The Cure for Cancer
Civ4 had the Space Elevator

Which civ game for you ends with techs we have now?

Did Civ 2 have a cruiser?

Oh and none, but those things are possible and certainly plausible. A space elevator could be completed in about 35-45 years, due to carbon nanotube technology. Then again a cure for cancer could come any day. Do you think the imaginary development of the XCOM squad might just beat them out? I think not. There would be a better chance for a defrosted Ted Williams to end up being rejuvenated to a younger man in the future. So, he can start his campaign to hit better than .406 in the 2441 baseball season. Hopefully this time he is not hemmed up by a war. :lol: Hmm, I wonder what the Red Sox will be called then?

It could be worse. There actually was a game in the 90s entitled "Super Cybernetic Attack Team". Yes, they used "SCAT" as an acronym for their eponymous organization of super-soldiers. I'm guessing it was a very crappy game.
Somehow I don't doubt that.

Oh and none, but those things are possible and certainly plausible. A space elevator could be completed in about 35-45 years, due to carbon nanotube technology. Then again a cure for cancer could come any day. Do you think the imaginary development of the XCOM squad might just beat them out? I think not. There would be a better chance for a defrosted Ted Williams to end up being rejuvenated to a younger man in the future. So, he can start his campaign to hit better than .406 in the 2441 baseball season. Hopefully this time he is not hemmed up by a war. :lol: Hmm, I wonder what the Red Sox will be called then?

It is more plausible that humans can be cloned for warfare than to have paratroopers with "extraterrestrial" technology in the near future. After all, humans have cloned many different kinds of mammals successfully, even some extinct ones.

Oh and none, but those things are possible and certainly plausible. A space elevator could be completed in about 35-45 years, due to carbon nanotube technology. Then again a cure for cancer could come any day. Do you think the imaginary development of the XCOM squad might just beat them out? I think not.

What was particularly sci-fi about the X-Com and their weapons. A long range plane they arrived in? The weapons involved some kind of energy-type projectile. Is that really implausible? 35-45 years isn't "already in existence either" and the practical concerns actually make it more difficult, even though it's a theoretical possibility. I personally thought it was a brilliant inclusion in Civ4, btw, but I'm not opposed to futuristic things.

And Cure for Cancer is almost as strange as "cure for disease" since cancer isn't one thing with a single cure.

The X-Com guys are totally possible.

Paradrop - high altitude paradrops are regular for speclal forces troops now!
Body armor - D-Boys wear skater style helmets and light flexible body armor as do elite Seal teams and elite Chines and Russian spoecial forces troops. Constantly evolving tech in the field makes the idea if X-Com style suits being a realistic possibility within the next 20 years. Most western troops wear light body armor now.
Weapons - The initial weapons in X-Com are largely based on current tech - plasma and laser tech is unlikely anytime soon but the existing weapons are in use.

Essentially we already have X-Com style special forces troops in most of the major powers armed forces. We'll have guys who look like X-Com squads long before anything as outlandishly ambitious like a space elevator.

Giant Death Robot - not so much

Paratroopers equipped with "extraterrestrial" technology does not sound far fetched to you? We'll have it in 20 years, eh? Now I have heard it all. :lol: I suppose sooner than later, I will meet my first Wookie and we'll sit down to play space Chess together. This according to your little look into the future. :crazyeye:

The other thing is XCOM squad sounds cheesy. At least they could make up a different name for it. On top of that their purpose is to fight invading aliens. In CiV we don't fight aliens. I hope that doesn't change. In any case it does not matter, XCOM squad will be modded out by a huge number of people on day one. Including me, because I simply won't need it. It has no viable purpose. Just because something sounds cool does not mean it should be added into civ. There should be a reason for it to be there.

Paratroopers equipped with "extraterrestrial" technology does not sound far fetched to you? We'll have it in 20 years, eh? Now I have heard it all. :lol: I suppose sooner than later, I will meet my first Wookie and we'll sit down to play space Chess together.

A word of advice for you nokmirt: let the Wookie win.

Sarcasm :confused: or sheer bloody minded stupidity :p I cant decide which. There are so many oddities in the game that to get upset by the kind of cool looking body armored X-Com guys seems bizarre to me. You are playing a game where it's a realistic possibility that Attila the Hun could develop a huge empire that lasts thousands of years, where scientifically inferior Spain can be conquered by the Aztecs, where Gandhi is so driven with bloodlust that he slaughters other civs in his quest for power, where the Christian religion revolves around Stone Circles & Pagodas and the Buddhists worship the God of War.

For the second time this thread: this line of argument is incredibly weak. Just because Civ makes some (significant) abstractions does not mean it does not have to have any connection with reality. If Japan's UU was a "mechwarrior" or if Britain (or China) had a dragon as their UU I think people would be justifiably upset.

The XCOM unit is pure fantasy, not even in the slightest tied to the world as it exists (unlike Civ 2's "Cure for Cancer", which is something people all over the world are actively working on!).

Where is the option for ambivalent folks? I voted 'no' 'cause I guess I lean a tiny bit more in that direction... It's mainly the name that bugs me about it, as there are no aliens in Civ. But it's good imo to have a paratrooper with more range, to make the mop-up phase of the game go faster (though 40 range is serious overkill; try 8-15). Now the GDR is downright silly otoh and should be removed. Even the description notes that it's a nonsensical unit, there solely for the 'cool' factor, for crying out loud. :lol:

Where is the option for ambivalent folks? I voted 'no' 'cause I guess I lean a tiny bit more in that direction... It's mainly the name that bugs me about it, as there are no aliens in Civ. But it's good imo to have a paratrooper with more range, to make the mop-up phase of the game go faster (though 40 range is serious overkill; try 8-15). Now the GDR is downright silly otoh and should be removed. Even the description notes that it's a nonsensical unit, there solely for the 'cool' factor, for crying out loud. :lol:

There are any aliens in civ cos it's based on earth.

You put bacon in the fridge, if you look for bacon in the cupboard of course you're not gunna find any.

Hence, bacon aliens

There are any aliens in civ cos it's based on earth.

You put bacon in the fridge, if you look for bacon in the cupboard of course you're not gunna find any.

Hence, bacon aliens
Your bacon argument is solid; I concede the point. :D

Paratroopers equipped with "extraterrestrial" technology does not sound far fetched to you? We'll have it in 20 years, eh? Now I have heard it all. :lol:

Just because the XCOM tech in that game is based on aliens doesn't mean that's how they developed in Civ5: BNW.

For the second time this thread: this line of argument is incredibly weak. Just because Civ makes some (significant) abstractions does not mean it does not have to have any connection with reality. If Japan's UU was a "mechwarrior" or if Britain (or China) had a dragon as their UU I think people would be justifiably upset.

The XCOM unit is pure fantasy, not even in the slightest tied to the world as it exists (unlike Civ 2's "Cure for Cancer", which is something people all over the world are actively working on!).

Unfortunately, what you've done with this post is make me wish England and China had dragon UUs.

It seems the people arguing against the XCOM squad are split on their reasoning. Some list the futuristic plasma weapons as a problem, and some don't like having such a direct reference to another game (either because they see a marketing ploy or because it's just jarring).

Perhaps some options should be added to this poll:

• Keep the XCOM squad but change the name.
  • " " but change the weaponry
  • " " but change the name and weaponry

Giant Death Robot - not so much

Suidobashi Heavy Industry's Kuratas mecha would disagree. :3

Well, the Xcom soldiers are much cooler than the GDR. The franchise specific nature of Xcom is a bit of an issue since it makes the Xcom unit seem quite different from a "generic" future unit.

The art files on this unit might be useful for modding purposes.

I do wonder how people would've reacted had X-Com not gotten a very recent reboot, and if the X-Com Squad was instead a reference to the original 1990s franchise. Would it have come across more as an homage to another of Microprose/Sid Meier's games?

I am quite looking forwards to the new art files, however. I've already got a near-future mod I've been working on, and the X-Com Squad will make a great option for the end of my expanded tech tree. The airships and landships from G&K were a similar boon to modding.

For those opposed to XCOM in the game. Is there anyone who is in favor of the Giant Death Robot but opposed to XCOM? It seems that, given that one is in the game, it's kinda water under the bridge for the other.

For those opposed to XCOM in the game. Is there anyone who is in favor of the Giant Death Robot but opposed to XCOM? It seems that, given that one is in the game, it's kinda water under the bridge for the other.

Despise both myself, but again, there will be mods to handle the problem.

I just wish the xcom/gdr were inlcuded in the game files, like the Civ III dinosaurs, but not actually in the standard game. Thus modders were able to access the material, and easily use them but you didn't have to verse any stegosaurus' in the ancient era . (Well thats what I understood of those dino units back then atleast).

Well, that's my point. Is this really about XCOM or futuristic/sci-fi units in general. Are we just relitigating the same fight from four years ago?

Just because the XCOM tech in that game is based on aliens doesn't mean that's how they developed in Civ5: BNW.

So, their purpose could be to stop the GDR instead of aliens? The focal point is that they can pretty much get anywhere in the world very fast. This does have to come in very handy. Kind of like American troops, which can land anywhere in the world in 24 hours. In any case you could be right.

Either way there is no sense arguing about this. Soon we both will be proud owners of Brave New World. To me that's what counts, it is not about just one unit we happen to have differing opinions about. Just because I don't care for future units the rest of it sounds really interesting.

To date the Civ series AIs (SMAC, Civ4, Civ5) haven't understood how to employ the paradrop capability, neither offensively or defensively. If this is a step towards getting the AIs more competitive in this realm then I am going to vote for it.

D

Despise both because I hate sci-fi stuff. I barely tolerated the spaceship to AC nonsense and was glad that Civ5 just simply ended at launch.

Top Bottom