Backstabded by Poland?

Uncle Screwtape

Chieftain
Recently I decided to mix things up and play a game that started in the industrial era (also huge map and Deity). As Russia I spawned next to Poland and China. About 30 turns in Poland offered DoF and I accepted. A few turns later Poland asked for open borders. I declined. Next turn I coupled open borders with a defensive pact. Shortly there after he told me the Chinese were "plotting" against me and looking to the north I found a bunch of armed plotters. I moved my army towards China and braced for the assault. Next turn Poland DoW and his massive army floods my soft flank. Then I Rage Quit.

What shocked me was that Poland broke a DoF and a defensive pact. I my 1,000 hours of experience the AI doesn't DoW someone with whom he/she has a DoF. Further Poland has a high (7) loyalty bias and a low (3) deceptive bias according to http://www.civdata.com/. I can't figure out why Poland attacked me??? Any ideas?

High loyalty doesn't stop back stabs but makes it unlikely.
Breaking the defensive pact is meaningless to the ai.
I have seen plenty of of back stabs in 600hours.

Did you have a comparatively tiny army?

I had about half the military in comparison to Poland which is plenty against the tactically impaired AI. He could have perceived my 1:2 ratio as weakness but I think he would still need a lot more motivation to break a DoF.

Note that every AI behavioral flavor can vary by +/-2 in any game, so don't rely overmuch on the base numbers. They reflect tendencies, not absolutes.

Enrico tried to Backstab me, but I facestabbed him first.

Unlikely to happen doesn't mean it will never happen. Math isn't absolute unless you're just doing math because math lacks personality of the AI.

Just means it can happen but unlikely but still can happen.

Top Bottom