Top 5 favourite civs of your play style

I really enjoy playing with some mod civs, but from the standard set:

1. Germany. I like to have a strong army and I like to ally to City States. The UA and the Hanse sure make that possible.

2. Poland. I aim at having lots of science and culture and this UA is really great.

3. Spain. I know many call it cheating, but it is just so much fun to find Natural Wonders early on.

4. Shoshone. I always seem to end up winning via diplo or science, as I prefer to play peaceful. When you can make up a lot of ground/get a head start with finding ruins, you really enjoy this civ.

5. Inca. Such a versatile civ.

4. Shoshone. I always seem to end up winning via diplo or science, as I prefer to play peaceful. When you can make up a lot of ground/get a head start with finding ruins, you really enjoy this civ.

I've been tearing civs apart all week on immortal. I expand to take all the land, while building archers. Then upgrade to c-bows and wipe out the neighbors. Rinse and repeat. They seem so OP to me now.

I think that Brazil is tough because of the uselessness of unimproved jungles while you make your mad dash to machinery to get Camps. This makes it hard to get some of the important wonders that you need for cultural victory. And, if that wasn't enough, the Camps do nothing for production, so you'll always find it hard to make things without buying them. Another thing that is annoying is that the pantheon that gives faith for jungles would make Camps even more awesome, but for some reason that AI always loves taking that early, and as Brazil isn't a faith generating Civ (especially when you're beelining for machinery), they usually get stuck with one of the last picks for pantheons.

Depending on what has happened in a game from the start, Brazil is one of two civs I might consider going piety with (the other would be Byzantium). The biggest advantages of other trees are happiness and culture, but if I am fairly sure I can get Sacred Path, I'll go for it. Yeah, it's hard to tell what the AI will go for, but unless you get a super early culture ruin, you know how much of a fast track religions are on, and by going for the culture pantheon, then following up with a happiness belief somewhere, you just got yourself insane cities (as if you weren't going to be rich enough without extra gold from temples.)

If you miss it, decision time, either get a religion that one city can benefit from (doesn't need to be the cap, remember, To The Glory of God is good anyway but stupidly insane in this context) and let the jungle pantheon religion take over, or find the jerk that took it, take a city, can make sure it's the 2nd religion in all your cities (remember, you went piety, you get their bonus).

I must admit that I either chase religion like a bloodhound or mostly ignore it with Brazil from early on. Their start bias and style of play beg for Sacred Path. If I miss it, and I don't have any other faith generating beliefs, Sun God becomes my goto normally (and it in combination with Sacred Path later can be great).

I both love and hate the Keshiks. I agree that it is the ultimate unit and love to wage war with them, but when this unit becomes obsolete you lose all the promotions. And as I usually get all the promotions for about four of them that is a huge blow to my army.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's not like they go out of style the second you can't build them. Until great war bombers and tanks, they can do well taking down city health alone, and even tanks don't stop them with some meat to provide ZoC. In one game as Mongolia, I was using my leftover Keshiks to take even coastal cities when battleships were available to me. They didn't do as much damage, but they were much safer than the ships exposed out in the ocean.

I've been tearing civs apart all week on immortal. I expand to take all the land, while building archers. Then upgrade to c-bows and wipe out the neighbors. Rinse and repeat. They seem so OP to me now.

With their upgrading ability through ruins, you can easily do that. I just don't want to be the villain all the time.

I like to expand and war but not till later on Id rather pay the AI to fight it out till then and just watch. Normally I win science.

America: Great late game war and pretty good mid game as well with Minutemen.

Greece: Great UA combined with patronage opener is just awesome. Though venice or the Mongols always seem to be in my games...

Babylon: Love the early science boost makes it so you can easily keep up on high difficulties.

Rome: Probably best civ for expansion cause of the building boost. Also good for early war.

Mongols/ Poland: both are great. Keshiks require not explanation. Poland great for getting extra policies I normally wouldn't get otherwise easily finish tradition and get policies in other stuff usally Honor for me for warrior code.

Of course, my play style is to try to not lock myself into any one play style, constantly trying new things. So, all of them. There is no top 5. Once I have a top 5, I'm off playing someone NOT in that top 5.

Total Civ5 newbie here (I have Civ2 and Civ4 but rarely played them) and Ive only finished one game to the very end, which I did with the Shoshone on Prince. That said, I enjoy going for cultural victory, and admittedly havent played even close to all of the Civs yet, but Ive enjoyed these the most:

Shoshone - I dont really like war much, mainly because Im not yet entirely comfortable how to go about it without getting destroyed and/or bankrupt, so in theory I figured that with the Shoshone I had that advantage for fighting within their own borders if another civ came into my turf, and the extra territory was nice to find archeology goodies. Pathfinders are nice early units.

France - Can build a pretty nice army while still shooting for a culture victory. Trying to get the theming bonuses was fun

Aztec - Camping barbs for extra culture was also fun.

Poland - Free social policies? Im in!

Those were probably the most engaging civs for me so far

I'm a tall science player so I like civs that have a growth bonus or a science boost

1. Aztecs: their unique building is awesome and available early. Jaguars are great at exploring (because of the woodsman promotion) and their unique bonuses stay relevant throughout the game. You can also finish tradition insanely fast with barb-farming for culture

2. Babylon: Early academies and a great UU-UB combo that makes early defense easier

3. Korea: lots of science, though they get started rather slow and their UU's are a bit meh (still useful, but not much to write home about)

4. India: they have a rough start but they dominate in the late game with lots of Golden Ages and the tourism from their UB. Elephants are nice too.

5. Incans: those terrace farms give a lot of extra food (even when they just give one food/two hammer they are still more attractive tiles than mined hills that starve you) and the movement boost is always nice for exploration. I put them at number five mainly because their UU is almost worse than the unit it replaces.

I'm a tall science player so I like civs that have a growth bonus or a science boost

1. Aztecs: their unique building is awesome and available early. Jaguars are great at exploring (because of the woodsman promotion) and their unique bonuses stay relevant throughout the game. You can also finish tradition insanely fast with barb-farming for culture

2. Babylon: Early academies and a great UU-UB combo that makes early defense easier

3. Korea: lots of science, though they get started rather slow and their UU's are a bit meh (still useful, but not much to write home about)

4. India: they have a rough start but they dominate in the late game with lots of Golden Ages and the tourism from their UB. Elephants are nice too.

5. Incans: those terrace farms give a lot of extra food (even when they just give one food/two hammer they are still more attractive tiles than mined hills that starve you) and the movement boost is always nice for exploration. I put them at number five mainly because their UU is almost worse than the unit it replaces.

I play the same style. Recently finished a game with Portugal. The trade route gold is nice and the Feitoria is just amazing. Pretty much unlimited happiness so you can just grow and grow and never deal with unhappiness.

Literally my 5 of my 6 favorite civs (6th being poland).

Well, I like steamrollers, so;
1) America: city spamming and Minutemen,
2) Aztecs: rain forest JUNGLES and Honor tree, serious fun on Pangea with no islands, taking out Elizebeth!!;(do it from inland),
3) China .

My play style? (Immortal difficulty) I prioritize the early game (first 50 turns or so); so my top 5 civs that suit my style are:

1) America - aggressive scouting and aggressive land purchasing are two things I already do, so this civ is probably my 'go to'.
2) Shoshone - see point made above
3) Aztec - Can't beat the free culture in the early game from barbs, which (again) I reveal quite early due to my play style. Plus I like going tall, so floating garden anyone?
4) Songhai - slightly weaker version of the Aztec (imho), where I get gold from barbs instead of culture. Plus, I find the MPM to come along right when I need extra culture.
5) Portugal - I don't know why. I have never had a bad game as Maria, she always sees to have great starting dirt, and becomes an economic powerhouse later in the game.

I roll random civs/random maps, as I'm trying to get better at all aspects of the game. That said, I'm a peaceful player at heart and I'm happiest when I get the following (in order):

1. Inca. For SV or DV. I've played them the most and I'm probably better with them than any other civ. Even better is when Mt. Kilamanjaro is on the map. All of those little Incan units literally running across the mountain tops like some super-Sherpas. Good luck invading me, you bastard Shaka. Also love very large city size (my record on Deity is 48). Nothing in this game is as much fun as playing Inca with a mountainous desert start.

2. Poland. Yeah, they're great and they're versatile, but I get a very strange satisfaction from running across the battlefield with W-Hussars to deliver a killing blow. I've been known to turn up the volume for this event. Do I need help?

3. Babylon/Korea. I don't mind the occasional turtle-SV, where the game is pretty much won at Universities no matter who your opponents are. Oddly, it took my numerous tries to figure out how to make Babylon work well on Deity. Once I did, they're pretty bad-aSS. Korea……I also love a good Turtle Ship crunching sound, not to mention how much fun bulbing is.

4. France/Brazil - I love UI's and the way a culture victory picks up momentum gets my twisted little heart beating a bit faster. (Note that although Polynesia fits the above description, I really haven't had a fun game with them yet on standard sized maps).

5. Spain. I once rolled a start where I discovered Lake Victoria and Mt. Kailaish in the first 8 turns and had multiple salt available everywhere. Talk about OP. 3 Super-cities settled by t11. Hardest part was deciding which Victory route to take (it was a random map and I didn't know what type of map it was yet). Also, Spain can be most frustrating when you can't find a freakin wonder. Thanks for the start bias, designer jerks.

It seems a lot of ppl picked Aztex among the top 5. It is just an amazing civ in almost all games that I played I filled at least 3 policy trees before picking my ideology. Filling tradition in around 100-120 turns is amazing with the floating garden the capital often reached 35+ pops before the game ended :D

For me Keshik-Tanks are OP. Keshik anyone near you, slaughter them, once in the late game, slam those Tanks into units, and rocket artillery the cities.

The problem when I played Mongolia on deity is when I built mass chariot archers to defend while waiting for upgrade to Keshiks the AI often killed me. I bribed other AIs to go to war against my neighbor sometimes I got lucky to survive sometimes I dont.

When I played Arabia with the Camel Archer I can defend and bribe better since the Bazaar allows a lot of gold to buy units to defend before getting Chilvary.

My list is a bit weird because a lot of these civs have very different playstyles.

5. Dutch - reroll until I get a floodplain start, then grow, grow, grow with those polders, farm gold from the UA and UU and Polders too.
4. Venice - rolling in gold, maybe take a few coastal cities and grow cap to monstrous size
3. Maya - can generate a ton of science with messenger of the gods, pyramids and a wide empire. Love dominating in religion with that extra shrine faith--great people are nice although they increase the counter.
2. Zulu - probably the best Domination civ that doesn't have a mounted ranged UU. I mean, Impis are almost mounted units themselves, marching across the world with an army of invincible, hyper-promoted impis is about as fun as it gets.
1. Egypt - gotta love those wonders, plus they can solve all your happiness problems. Never did use war chariots that much, I should try them sometime.

Top Bottom