Things you only just now realized

I also miss the attack bonus Swords used to get when attacking cities ...
Wasn't this in like, Civ4? I don't think it was ever introduced in Civ5.

Janissary text in civilopedia claims the bonus is now "Gains half health back on kill" or whatever, while before it said it regained full health on kill. I haven't actually tested this out with the Ottomans yet, but assuming this is true, I have to admit I didn't realize this until today (since the issue doesn't seem to have drawn too much attention from most people).

Iron Working is a really useless tech. But I still research it out of habit:sad:
Can't get away with that when I'm fresh to Emperor. Seriously though, they need to do something about spearmen and pikemen being all the non-ranged units you ever really need.

Iron Working isn't useless when you are Russia, since the UA gives an extra hammer to every strategic resource tile.

I just realized that Korea's +2 :c5science: per great person improvement also applies to citadels, so fighting defensive wars for the entire game can actually improve your science output. :D

When you launch a nuclear weapon into the fog of war, you may hit units from a civ you aren't targeting. You have now made enemies with your former alliance members:mad:.

ahawk:

I have tested it out. The text isn't compliant with the game mechanics. Janissaries still heal fully when they kill the unit they are attacking.

I love Tabarnak, and if I ever want to wonderspam on Immortal again (oh yes), I will go with 4 cities.

ahawk:

I have tested it out. The text isn't compliant with the game mechanics. Janissaries still heal fully when they kill the unit they are attacking.

Thanks Roxlimn. I almost never play Ottomans, but I just happened to be browsing the 'pedia and I saw that the text had changed since G&K.

This topic deserves a separate thread, but if you prioritize Iron Working:

First, you get to build Barracks (Bronze Working) and Heroic Epic which is a must for every aspiring warmongerer.

Second, you will be able to better plan your expansion as you will need iron later to build frigates.

Third, if you won't end up with bunch of lancers and no experienced infantry later in the game.

Forth, it takes much smaller investment to get to Iron Working then to Civil Service because of all the prerequisites.

To summarize, the Swordsman is the least useful thing that you get with Iron Working. It's all the other considerations that makes it worthwhile.

Iron Working is a really useless tech. But I still research it out of habit:sad:
Can't get away with that when I'm fresh to Emperor. Seriously though, they need to do something about spearmen and pikemen being all the non-ranged units you ever really need.

Can we retitle this thread, 'things you only just now realized but then forgot'?

Noticed something last night while playing, but can't remember what it was today. Let this post serve as a place holder. I'll fire it up this evening, find it anew, and post here.

i just now noticed that the workers do stupid things if you automate them. So after i built all the farms/ lumber mills/ luxury improvements I wanted, I automated them. The workers ended up building a long road between cities like 20 hexagons away.

been playing this game for years ... and only just noticed that a trading post keeps the jungle science bonus when a university is built. needless to say my games have improved lol:hammer2::hammer2::woohoo::woohoo:

Automated workers have been dumb since they released Civ V. They remove useful features like jungle (for a university science bonus, or Hiawatha's perks), or marshes (Netherlands), where a human mind would consider leaving those once-gone-forever-gone features untouched for a bonus later on. The automated workers also flee too early from enemy units and barbarians, where a manually controlled worker could sometimes stay close to, but not capturable by, an enemy and then finish a tile improvement in stead of leaving half work.

A manually controlled worker has another benefit: they can be used to alert you when enemies are near in the fog of war (you can't see the enemy). An automated worker does this when they start running towards a military unit or a city for protection. A manually controlled worker stops doing what they were doing before the task was completed. This tells you an enemy unit is near (don't know what radius they sense, but it's like 4 hexes away (maybe more!), which is a lot!). This way, you can sense barbs, or if no barbs could possibly be near, an attack coming! Not easy to use, but very handy when you've gone to war with another civ, but don't know if they're coming for you or from where.

I just realized that great artists mess up your other great people. Kinda sucks if you want more culture without getting ga's.

Uh, workers have never removed marshes, at least for me. That's always been super annoying. Pre-Netherlands there was *never* a reason to leave a marsh, it was always a loss of 1 potential food. They'd just spam trading posts on them. I always had to take a few of them around my whole turf draining marshes before automating them.

They won't remove jungles or forests if you turn that option off.

I just realized that every time you get a "free tech," it's a number of beakers and not just one tech. So, that tech you've been working on as a pre-req for a bigger tech and only has 2 turns left can still be chosen and you'll still get to choose the one after it as a free tech.

I never knew this and would always end up choosing another tech simply because it cost more beakers instead of just choosing the tech path I was already on.

I feel really, really dumb now.

Top Bottom