Things you only just now realized

you can build the United Nations with a Great Engineer. i didnt know that until the latest GotM thread.

also, the utter USELESSNESS of the 'Play Now' button. i cant save settings or specify anything so every game is mandatory Askia/Pangea/King/Standard because its alphabetical and some kind of default game settings.

I dont even play king that much. so stupid.

"Play Now" and "Set up game" will remember all the basic settings as long as you begin the game from the non-advanced screen. If you start the game from the advanced options screen, it won't, and it won't remember advanced options in any case.

that sounds really silly. i always go into advanced just to pre-unclick faster movement setting. i like watching them run places. i know you can do it from in the game now but its just so easy to do it in advanced.

again, 'play now' is a really stupid feature. all they had to do was let us save some favorite set ups.

If you capture the Great Lighthouse, any ships you control while you own it receive the upgrade it provides...even if you lose the GL later (I found this out after capturing, then liberating the city that had it)

If you capture the Great Lighthouse, any ships you control while you own it receive the upgrade it provides...even if you lose the GL later (I found this out after capturing, then liberating the city that had it)

I wish that was true for Alhambra or Brandenburg gate...

Celts UA stinks.

I completely glossed over the word "unimproved" and actually thought camps didn't neglect the faith bonus. And why would anybody want to get a Pantheon within the first 10 turns when they barely explored the map? Haile and Pacal gives you the option of flexibility, without having to make a poor judgment due to limited information. Sure, one could just settle no where adjacent to a forest but that kind of makes the UA even weaker. If the UA was a more global one like the Aztecs except it's faith instead (like gain 50% of strength of the unit as faith), I would've liked better, kind of like their UU's ability.

Yea, I think hunting camps should still allow celt's bonus, but not lumber mills or trading posts.

Just pick Fertility Rites, hard to go wrong with that.

Celts UA stinks.

I completely glossed over the word "unimproved" and actually thought camps didn't neglect the faith bonus. And why would anybody want to get a Pantheon within the first 10 turns when they barely explored the map?

I forget the name of the tech (Economics?) that improves the :c5food: yield from farms and what not, but if you're playing as William and you have built Polders, when you research that tech all of the Polders bloom with colorful flowers. It looks fantastic. :D

When two military units are stacked in a city, neither of the two units can attack unless one moves out of the city first.

This sounds like a silly observation, given how much 1UPT has been discussed and critiqued, but if I am hard-building a unit to help fight an invading AI, and that unit pops in a city where I already have a unit defending, I cannot fight with either unit until one moves out of the city, and if the enemy is on either side of the city, then zone-of-control means that when that first unit moves, it'll forfeit being able to attack because it moved through the ZOC.

This is especially a problem in a city surrounded by enemy units. Even if my city has walls, castle, Kremlin, and a huge population, and is in no real danger of being taken down by enemy muskets or some other antiquated unit, I still have the problem of not being able to use any units in the city at all. Why? Because if the city is surrounded and I hard build a unit on top of an existing defender, neither can attack, while at the same time neither can move out.

I had this happen once in a game where, as Rome, the Aztecs had gotten their Jaguars to surround the Roman capital, despite taking damage on a good chunk of their Jaguars. I had a Ballistae in the city, and finished a Legion the turn I became surrounded. I used city bombard on the weakest invader, who held on with 5hp. And with the city absolutely surrounded, I had no choice but to use neither the Ballistae nor the Legion, because they were stacked and there was no place to move. And that Jag with 5hp? Used the heal promo and survived the next bombardment, and I was stuck not using either of my units, and eventually lost my capital because my two strong, advanced UUs had their hands tied behind their backs.

had a similar situation where i built a unit in a city that had a unit there already,
and the city was surrounded by enemy units.. however i got a message
"no room for unit" and it was disbanded.. was very frustrating..

The reason for this is what would happen if you didn't kill the unit you attacked. Then you would have two units in the city.

When two military units are stacked in a city, neither of the two units can attack unless one moves out of the city first.

Doesn't apply to ranged units. The turn you complete building an archer in a city that already has one stationed there, you can ranged attack with both. At the end of the turn, one of them will be forced into a nearby empty hex.

I forget the name of the tech (Economics?) that improves the :c5food: yield from farms and what not, but if you're playing as William and you have built Polders, when you research that tech all of the Polders bloom with colorful flowers. It looks fantastic. :D

It doesn't add food, but it adds +2 gold and +1 production to polders. Guilds is needed to build polders and increases food by 3. But yes, it is pretty.

This sounds like a silly observation, given how much 1UPT has been discussed and critiqued, but if I am hard-building a unit to help fight an invading AI, and that unit pops in a city where I already have a unit defending, I cannot fight with either unit until one moves out of the city, and if the enemy is on either side of the city, then zone-of-control means that when that first unit moves, it'll forfeit being able to attack because it moved through the ZOC.

This is especially a problem in a city surrounded by enemy units. Even if my city has walls, castle, Kremlin, and a huge population, and is in no real danger of being taken down by enemy muskets or some other antiquated unit, I still have the problem of not being able to use any units in the city at all. Why? Because if the city is surrounded and I hard build a unit on top of an existing defender, neither can attack, while at the same time neither can move out.

I had this happen once in a game where, as Rome, the Aztecs had gotten their Jaguars to surround the Roman capital, despite taking damage on a good chunk of their Jaguars. I had a Ballistae in the city, and finished a Legion the turn I became surrounded. I used city bombard on the weakest invader, who held on with 5hp. And with the city absolutely surrounded, I had no choice but to use neither the Ballistae nor the Legion, because they were stacked and there was no place to move. And that Jag with 5hp? Used the heal promo and survived the next bombardment, and I was stuck not using either of my units, and eventually lost my capital because my two strong, advanced UUs had their hands tied behind their backs.

It's also frustrating when you have a unit move to attack and then stop moving because to attack an enemy unit it has to attack from an already occupied tile. So you can't attack with it because you could wind up having two units in one tile. I don't mind this except when the unit you are going to attack has very low HP and it is definitely going to die when attacked, but you still can't make the attack because of the nonexistant chance that you'll wind up with two units in a tile.

I don't mind this except when the unit you are going to attack has very low HP and it is definitely going to die when attacked, but you still can't make the attack because of the nonexistant chance that you'll wind up with two units in a tile.

Though sometimes boats are exempted; or, finishing cities is different, or, any time you have enough movement to attack from the next tile and it calculates a win, it lets the attack go from the occupid tile.

What I am sure of is that just last night I told my destroyer to attack one of Mongolia's puppet cities that was at 0hp and it attacked from the same tile that held an Iroquous frigate.

The projected path, which I had enough movement for, was to reflect out and back after the frigate and then attack, but the boat was feeling pretty tired I guess, I mean it was pretty late at night, so.

Since it's not that big for its own thread, I thought I should do a check with everyone:

Am playing as Sweden now and I noticed with intrigue, that almost everyone wants to be friends, like 6 out of 7 AIs. Does the game data or XML indicate anything that AIs tend to like Sweden a lot or is it just another coincidence? I'm usually very diplomatic so I don't do things like expand or buy tiles if they asked me not to, but I would deny requests to ignore CS bullying or no CS allying, or make friends with their enemies.

Top Bottom