• I play both equally

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I don't like polls :)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkestOnion

Prince
After lurking around a few posts here on the forums, I have begun to wonder about the distribution of players who mostly (with few exceptions) play only single player Civ 4/5, and players who mostly (with few exceptions) play only multi-player Civ 4/5. Without further ado, feel free to enjoy this poll and comment freely folks.

MP.

Personnal preference. MP is a lot more unpredictable and offers better competition than AIs(if other players are equally skilled), even when we compare deity. With strong players it's like playing deity++ but without being forced to take only super effective paths because other civs tech and produce more than you(like deity sp).

All paths can be useful in mp if you are acting right(detour to Physics before Edu for example).

The poll should really "what do you prefer to play 4/5 times". I personally almost always play singleplayer, but if I could arrange a stable game I would always play multiplayer.

Exclusively SP these days, MP feels like something the devs put together in about 3 days and decided it was good enough

I feel like MP is definitely the superior game mode. You aren't forced to take a very linear tech path, build order, sp order and such. At least not like you are forced to on Deity that is. In MP you have more strategy and you have more options. Also its pretty nice that you can actually build some wonders for the first 2/5 of the game.

^ didn't try MP on steam, the few times I played is on lan with friends, so I was wondering if the flexible tech path is viable, like going machinery before education. Also don't MP games tend to turn out to be situations where people play nice until they hit dynamite and then it's a war fest? Have MP players ever had games with diplo/cultural/science victories?

^ didn't try MP on steam, the few times I played is on lan with friends, so I was wondering if the flexible tech path is viable, like going machinery before education. Also don't MP games tend to turn out to be situations where people play nice until they hit dynamite and then it's a war fest? Have MP players ever had games with diplo/cultural/science victories?

Yes. Of course the dom. route can be easier if you are on a roll. But on stalemate games it can go until peaceful victories. You might wanna check FilthtRobot's youtube page there is at least a hundred of games involved and some of them ended ''peacefully''.

Yeah MP isn't great in term of stability. But with right group of players you can play a full game. You have to reload at some occasions due to random disconnects/bugs. Public games are the worst of course. If people only experiment public games i can understand their frustration.

The only way to fully enjoy MP nowadays is to join the NQ group or get a strong friends field and focus on some epic games :)

Single.

I'm not particularly opposed to multi-player, but Civ games take a long time (I don't like how quick games flow, even though the numbers are just raw percentages of standard, the flow seems off).

That, and I hate playing against randoms over the internet. I've done it for some games and still do once and a while, but there is something critical missing for me. Now like back in college when we would have LAN parties for the entire floor of our dorm, that was awesome fun. That I can really get into, but the moment a game is loaded up with some random player, something is loss and removes all the enjoyment for me.

And it isn't necessarily that I don't know any other gamers--gaming has become very mainstream in recent years. But for whatever reason, all the other gamers I know play completely different games than I do. And I've been gaming since I was 4 years old, so it isn't like I haven't played many different types of games, just some odd coincidence that my gaming lists seem to be completely different than those I meet.

I get the feeling if MP was better implemented (proper mods, AI, scenarios, stability) you'd have a far more vibrant multiplayer scene.

From this poll, I think that Civ 5 is more likely played as a single player game than as a multi-player game.

Top Bottom