Helicopters: A full implementation

searcheagle

Emperor
Since Civ 2, the franchise is having a hard time figuring out how to include helicopters in the game. In Civ 5, helicopters are treated completely like a land unit and completely exposed on the water and have to travel at same embark speed that all other embarked units. The game classifies it as a land unit but it also has many features of an air unit (and in real life, it technically is it).

Helicopter technology allows a unit to move over land and sea at the same speed, which means that it travels like an air unit. It requires no transition between “feet wet” and “feet dry” (Flying over land versus over land). However, I can see why the game designers did classify helicopters as land units. Helicopters have travel ranges that are comparable other land units and are vulnerable to combat fire, especially when they end their turn, aka “landed” and enemy units attacked them.
So, in the below graphic, it would take a unit 3 turns to get from Utrecht to Prague in Civ 4 and 5. But a helicopter should be able to get there in 1 turn. This will give helicopters more of a quick strike capability, and really diversify combat in the modern era.

But the attack capability of helicopters is just one half part of a helicopters capability. I want to bring back the capability of Helicopters to transport infantry units from Civ 3. The helicopter had the capability to pick up any land infantry unit that did not have vehicles (so, infantry, marines, paratroopers, etc). Unfortunately, the range was short but it did provide you with the capability move units overseas with a combat assaults. The other big disadvantage of the Civ 3 approach was that you had no method to retrieve troops you deployed by helicopter. They had to wait until I could get them a transport ship to pick them back up. (This was in the days before embarked units existed.)
These helicopters also had the ability to detect and attack submarines, which added to their value. Helicopters should also be able to operate from naval ships that can carry air units (Carriers, Missile Cruisers). I always wanted to see an amphibious assault ship, which you could fill up with marines and transport ships to allow for deep penetrations into enemy territory. Think of the combat implications!

i think carriers and cruisers being able to carry a Helicopter is a super idea; and with a Heli's combat stats, they would not be imbalanced vs. naval units anyway. but i think having them see submarines is a bit OP, even though irl they can sometimes spot subs.

i'm not so sure about massively increasing their move points either, but i wonder what others think on that.

i think carriers and cruisers being able to carry a Helicopter is a super idea;
I really what the Carriers or Amphib Assaults Carriers to have helicopters. I'll sacrifice the cruisers for them!

and with a Heli's combat stats, they would not be imbalanced vs. naval units anyway.
Well, balance would be the most important aspect to it! The strengths and weakness would have to be adjusted correctly. But I think they should be more treated like an air unit than a ground unit.

but i think having them see submarines is a bit OP, even though irl they can sometimes spot subs.

I assume you mean that them seeing subs is going too far. The big reason that I put the sub hunting ability is that it was included in Civ 3. But since I don't see subs as make or break, I don't see their inclusion as "make or break." I do think they should be included, just to add more diversity to the game.

i'm not so sure about massively increasing their move points either, but i wonder what others think on that.
The airdrop range of a helicopter in Civ3 was 4 tiles, that is too small to be usable. With 4 tiles, it was almost like, what is the point. Considering that infantry units can travel 2 tiles, I think the air drop needs to be closer to 8-10. This would give you the ability to drop troops behind enemy lines.

There should be 2 helicopter units: an attack helicopter and a cargo helicopter.

Top Bottom