Any religion suggestions for RevDCM

johny smith

Deity
Well I know the Rapture has not had appealed so much in relation to Revolution. Anyway I wanted to start a thread if there any ideas on changes to the religions. I am not going to recycle the Rapture ideas here. I would just like to know any ideas of how I could adapt some of the work I have already done to benefit Revolutions in anyway. I do not plan to use any of code, unless wanted here. I simply want to put the art use if anyone has a use for it. If there is no interest whatsoever that is fine as well. That tells me as enough in itself. Thanks you for interest ahead of time.

You know, there IS one set of options I'd like to see that would allow RevDCM to be used for easier scenario building (without requiring a separate mod):

The ability to enable/disable certain religions as a game option. I'm not even sure if it's possible, but for example the Europe map scenario could very much use the ability to disable the Eastern religions.

Perhaps if it was possible for Custom Games for the game screen to pre-read the religions.xml file and allow a check-off to disable certain religions (which would then disable all of their respective buildings)?

This would allow for the base RevDCM to be used for scenario creation without needing any "extra" stuff. This would also allow some of the WoC religions to be included-but-disabled by default, allowing for more specific customization.

Basically, I want to be able to publish scenarios for RevDCM that can be used by anyone with RevDCM without needing each of them to be their own mod.

(of course, I also wouldn't mind the ability to pre-disable specific civ choices, so a Europe-scenario doesn't get China or Japan, but hey)

The functionality we really want is a new array tag field in WorldInfos that allows the mod creator to allow/disallow specific religions based on map size (Or alternatively an array tag in ReligionInfos that allowed the specific religions to be set to specific map sizes). This way the modmaker could add as many religions as they want to their XML and fonts; balance the number of religions, and when they emerge to map size, and it would allow scenario makers to use any religions defined in the mod's XML. A win-win all around. Afforess looked into this but abandoned the work on it; he has a pretty full plate. I as well have a full plate, and also this seems too complex and above my pay grade to implement. However if such an array could be set up, with the ability to specifically set certain religions (or rather the tech in which those religions emerge, as "choose religion" would allow the user to change the automatic religion by that tech if that gameoption was enabled) to specific map sizes, then adding a larger religion modpack to the core of RevDCM and to it's derivative mods would be more viable.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it and browse through the SDK, I think it's very possible to set up a mapsize array in ReligionInfos, but I wol't be doing this until after the release of 2.7.

What I have probably would be best suited for scenarios. Well if anyone would be interested in using them to make very specific scenarios around the times they came about I can give some ideas.

1. Judah scenario with Rome in control would be possible at the time of Jesus. I made 3 Jewish religions of the time.

2. Chinese Unification Scenario with the other philosophies like Legalism that Qin followed, and Mohism.

3. The first three way split in Islam(Sunni, Shia, and Kharijites)

I mean for something in a very short time range versus a longer scenario. There are plenty of over ideas of course they could be used for.

I have ways of religions being founded with other things than techs that can be set in the xml so it can be left as default with no changes to RevDCM.

Two things that may or may not be of use are.

1.Civilizations always have a certain religion when building a city.
2.Buildings can found religions without some building like a corporation HQ in your city added.

Well anyway just info. I could see ways the extra xml tags could be used in scenario I mean, but I'll let you guys decide. If anyone needs help with the religions let me know.

I would echo what I've already mentioned to Johny about religion. I play with 35-50 civs every game, so I need more religions to balance things out and to prevent huge religious conglomerations from developing. I'd like to see what Duuk and Phungus talked about, but instead of being linked to map size to instead be linked to the amount of civs starting the game (plus whatever amount of civs one might normally expect to appear over the course of the game). A selector switch to enable the use of a certain number of religions (say 20) as well as a second switch to pick the 20 specific religions you would like to be available for use would be in order.

I like Johny's ideas, but practically speaking I don't know that the scale of the game is well-suited for such diffusion. Perhaps when Civ5 comes out, and civ can use quad cores and thus enable us to play on "life-size" maps of the world!

I love Johny's work and want to see it come to fruition too.

Top Bottom