Religion Number Incosistent with Map Size

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
This seems to only apply to World Builder Maps.

I've downloaded the Southern Europe Map (so i can play it in Hotseat) and because it has 10 players I selected the "Large" map, this works correctly, however, in hotseat the tooltip seems to allow only FOUR religions (which is the same as a Small map).

This is a bug because if the map size I selected as manually set to Large the game doesn't seem to correctly identify it.

On another note, I do think World Builder should have a special setting to allow any number of religions regardless, because mappers who make specific maps can't make approrpiate sizes without decreasing/increasing religions.

Maybe just me, but shouldn't number of possible religions be tied to number of players?

Why? If you choose to stack a map with additional AIs, it should be harder to get a religion. After all, presumably you are adding AIs in an effort to make the game a bit more challenging => more land coveting, more border friction, maybe more fighty-fighty, more competition for wonders, perhaps higher risk of a military runaway, etc. Why should religion be an exception?

Because if it is only dependent on map size, how do you ensure that everybody does not get a religion? A large map with a small amount of civs would basically guarantee that everyone could have one. The developers said from the start that they wanted to ensure that sometimes you might not get a religion.

I guess it's fair to ask why you're playing an oversized map with fewer AIs? If you are doing that to ensure that every civ gets a religion, why should the developers overrule your preferences? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but this seems like a non-problem.

Anyway, if you want to change the number of max religions for a given map size, you might try editing the <MaxActiveReligions> line for that map size in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\CIV5Worlds.xml (for BNW).

I'm not saying that I would do that, but only that being tied to map size instead of quantity of players allows for that circumstance, which the developers said they don't want.

Top Bottom