Deity Introduction Guide for Julius Ceasar

Daviddesj is right,it's just a mistake of the game'creators.
The pause between revolutions should be counted from the end,not the begining,of the previous one.And,why I say it is a mistake and not a normal strategy?Because it turns a trait(spiritual)into a disadvantage.
Best regards,

OK, I've tried this strategy to the letter 3 times now. All three times, an AI civ declared war on me shortly before or after the second city. What am I missing?

Same here. I always seem to manage that the AI declares war... Am I simply too slow? Moonsinger (or everyone who successfully won with that strategy), could you please post some corner dates like, when did u research Iron Working (in marathon, of course) or when did ur first Praetorian hit an enemy?

Thanks a lot...

necrociv said:
OK, I've tried this strategy to the letter 3 times now. All three times, an AI civ declared war on me shortly before or after the second city. What am I missing?

Post your 4000BC save and a save from the year they declared war on you; I will check them out. Btw, did you sign open border treaty with anyone? If you do that before you can defend yourself, someone may get angry with you. Also, who are the AIs in your game? Issabel is very nice, you should pick her. Catherine is also very nice and often very powerful too; she usually goes to war against someone else long before I discover Iron. I also pick Washington, he seems nice. Both of the English queens are usually warmongers and most likely will attack you early. Oh, from what I heard, India is also peaceful too.

Also make you to hook up Bronze ASAP and start rolling out some axeman right away, just in case.

Shabbaman said:
So extending the number of turns required for a next revolution on slower game speeds would kill this strategy?

No, you slower the game speed = the better for this strategy. Therefore, Marathon is the best; Epic is ok too, but I don't recommend Normal or Quick (since I have never played anything on Normal or Quick speed, I don't know much about them).

DolAtoR said:
Same here. I always seem to manage that the AI declares war... Am I simply too slow? Moonsinger (or everyone who successfully won with that strategy), could you please post some corner dates like, when did u research Iron Working (in marathon, of course) or when did ur first Praetorian hit an enemy?

Thanks a lot...

I would like to take a look at your 4000BC save and your save of the turn they declare war. Of all the games, I have play so far, only two times that someone declare war on me before I hook up iron. It was England on both count and both were on large world map.

Long time I've not see a post from Moosinger...
Well I'm really impressed by how you manage civ games from civ2, civ3 and now civ4...

For me, the concept of milking a game is from you! and I can not beleive you reach more than 280.000 score at deity. Well congratulations for your strategies... and for sharing it with all the overs...

Hope you will find a new strategy for milking civ4 games....

DolAtoR said:
could you please post some corner dates like, when did u research Iron Working (in marathon, of course) or when did ur first Praetorian hit an enemy?

Here is a log from my 280K game on standard map size from 4000BC to my first war:

Attachments

• Timeline_To_First_War.jpg
    Timeline_To_First_War.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,026
LeSphinx said:
Long time I've not see a post from Moosinger...
Well I'm really impressed by how you manage civ games from civ2, civ3 and now civ4...

For me, the concept of milking a game is from you! and I can not beleive you reach more than 280.000 score at deity. Well congratulations for your strategies... and for sharing it with all the overs...

Hope you will find a new strategy for milking civ4 games....

Thanks for your kind words. I haven't played much of any game lately; therefore, haven't been posting much. I just decided to seriously give Civ4 a try about 10 days ago. At the moment, I'm still new at this game. So far, I have played about 15 games. Civ4 seems a lot easier than Civ3. Once the HOF settle down with an official set of rules and no longer being "beta", I will focus on milking strategies. In the mean time, I'm just having fun learning Civ4. There are still a lot to learn.

shabbaman said:
So extending the number of turns required for a next revolution on slower game speeds would kill this strategy?

Moonsinger said:
No, you slower the game speed = the better for this strategy. Therefore, Marathon is the best; Epic is ok too, but I don't recommend Normal or Quick (since I have never played anything on Normal or Quick speed, I don't know much about them).

What he's saying is what I said in a previous post---at Marathon speed, everything is supposed to take twice as long as at Normal speed, but there are some bugs still, and you seem to have found one. If they fix it so that you can only enter Anarchy after 10 turns (2x the number at Normal speed), then your strategy will work much less well.

"Anarchistic" Mad Praetorian Rush. :lol:

Actually, Anarchy is not required, the game can be won with Caesar without constant revolutions up to Standard size map and 5 or even 6 AIs on Deity but not by Domination. The trick is to balance plunder with expenses. Since on Deity, AI cities are larger this makes plunder more abundant as well.

But this guide is intended to work 100%, so Anarchy actually helps.

The game is broken somewhere around Pangea and Caesar. ;)

akots said:
"Anarchistic" Mad Praetorian Rush. :lol:

Actually, Anarchy is not required, the game can be won with Caesar without constant revolutions up to Standard size map and 5 or even 6 AIs on Deity but not by Domination. The trick is to balance plunder with expenses. Since on Deity, AI cities are larger this makes plunder more abundant as well.

But this guide is intended to work 100%, so Anarchy actually helps.

The game is broken somewhere around Pangea and Caesar. ;)

Exactly!:goodjob: You read my mind. Moreover, the Pyramid and the anarchy business is to help maximize the score (more land and more population = more score).;)

Alright, I made a 4th attempt tonight. At least I got iron before Peter declared war on me. I might have fared better if I hadnt lost copper early on to border shift and couldnt build axemen. Not signing open borders and not choosing a state religion seemed to help prolong the inevitable.

BTW, creating a strategy that involves selecting peace loving opponents is flawed IMHO. That's almost worst than exploiting anarchy to me.

Attempt #5. War by 1870BC w/ Greece.

Apparently this strat doesn't work unless you handpick your enemies not to attack you.

necrociv said:
BTW, creating a strategy that involves selecting peace loving opponents is flawed IMHO. That's almost worst than exploiting anarchy to me.

Realize that Moonsinger appears to play mostly HOF games, where maximizing score is the goal. Also HOF rules allow picking your opponents. By doing so she, and other HOF players, can best get the high score they are looking for. You'll notice when you read players HOF games the majority of the time the opponents are picked.

necrociv said:
Alright, I made a 4th attempt tonight. At least I got iron before Peter declared war on me. I might have fared better if I hadnt lost copper early on to border shift and couldnt build axemen. Not signing open borders and not choosing a state religion seemed to help prolong the inevitable.

Thanks for posting your save game! Wow, you are playing a large Deity map against 7 AIs!:crazyeye: Have you tried any other Deity game on tiny, small, or standard map yet? If not, I recommend starting with something easier and work your way up.

Anyway, you have built too many warriors and not enough workers. Your logs show me that you had built 16 warriors and only 2 workers so far. Until you have mastered the technique, please try to start with a smaller map size and fewer opponents. Here is a brand new game I just started with the Russian. May want to check it out to see how I do it until a few turns after I finished searching iron. If you want any other save games, don't hesitate to ask.

necrociv said:

True! However, if you just want to learn the game or learn how to master the Deity level, you may want to start out with peaceful opponents. Once you have won your first Deity game, step a level by enable barbs and selecting warmonger AIs.

necrociv said:
Attempt #5. War by 1870BC w/ Greece.

Apparently this strat doesn't work unless you handpick your enemies not to attack you.

Again, this is a large Deity map against 8 AIs. Are you trying to set yourself up for failure?;)

Methos said:
Realize that Moonsinger appears to play mostly HOF games, where maximizing score is the goal. Also HOF rules allow picking your opponents. By doing so she, and other HOF players, can best get the high score they are looking for. You'll notice when you read players HOF games the majority of the time the opponents are picked.

For the purpose of this thread, the only reason I'm suggesting to pick peaceful opponents and no barbs is because this guide is intented as an introduction to Deity.

I had one game where I only have three cities, and I ran out of trees to chop, and only have jungles left, kind of make it much harder to implement your strategy.

Alright, I just tried the strategy with peaceful civs, and sure enough, I was able to build up an army and wipe out a couple of my neighbors. Didn't get enough civic techs to survive the cost between anarchies though and the strikes ate my units away. Still I learned a lot this last time. Just being able to survive and wage war on deity is pretty kewl. Thanks Moonsinger.

I'm curious if you'd have better luck than I did using random AI with several warmonger civs. Seems like, regardless the starting position or amount of defense, the warmongers always declared war by the time I had a second city. Surely there must be a way to beat deity with aggressive neighbors.

Top Bottom