Random Events list

I got once Civilization game, I choosed happiness bonus.

After a bit of nudging ;)
I just updated the list to 3.13 :smug:

Awesome, and I appreciate the work ori - your list makes it much easier for me to mod the events to the way I like them!

one minor note: event 44 (Truffles) increases food by +1 in the tile, as indicated. It also increases commerce in the tile by +1 as well. I thought it was interesting when this happened on a forest grassland tile next to a river in the very early part of one of my games. This gave me a tile with +3F,+1H,+2C with no improvements! Very nice.

Corrected, :thanx:

I just updated the list to 3.13 :smug:

:band: yay! :dance: thank you!
Spoiler :
i left off the "welcome to CFC" part but i looked up emotes that i know you like!

Ori, fantastic work. I'm trying to make a spreadsheet based on your list, for easier navigation, which I'll share with all y'all when done. However, I'll prolly have some questions along the way. Starting question is this:
========================
Event2
City Ruins
Prereq: City Ruins in your control
Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT

or ECOLOGY
Active/Weight: 90/1000
Result:
1.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech
2.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech AND pay gold (5% of tech cost) for a chance for 3
3.you get +15% of remaining tech cost for a tech
================

It looks like result 3 is the same as result 1. Is that intentional? If so, could you clarify result 2, is the "chance for 3" in reference to result 3 or 3 techs?

Again, thanks for the awesome work you've done, and hopefully my spreadsheet based off your data will be a welcome contribution.

Oh, I forgot to mention it yesterday (some :coffee: really helps ;)): Thanks to Solver for speeding the update up :)

Spoiler :
i left off the "welcome to CFC" part but i looked up emotes that i know you like!

:blush: maybe I should alter my welcoming message a bit more often, but they are cute and my other favorites:
:hide: :evil: :devil: and with the BtS patches ever more used cutey: :gripe: usually don't fit :)

Ori, fantastic work. I'm trying to make a spreadsheet based on your list, for easier navigation, which I'll share with all y'all when done. However, I'll prolly have some questions along the way. Starting question is this:
========================
Event2
City Ruins
Prereq: City Ruins in your control
Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT

or ECOLOGY
Active/Weight: 90/1000
Result:
1.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech
2.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech AND pay gold (5% of tech cost) for a chance for 3
3.you get +15% of remaining tech cost for a tech
================

It looks like result 3 is the same as result 1. Is that intentional? If so, could you clarify result 2, is the "chance for 3" in reference to result 3 or 3 techs?

Again, thanks for the awesome work you've done, and hopefully my spreadsheet based off your data will be a welcome contribution.

you get to chose between 1 and 2, with 2 giving you a chance that 3 occurs :)

Thanks for the clarification Ori, after I'd really started analyzing and trying to figure out how to reword things to fit in the tiny columns, I figured that was probably the case, but wanted to be sure (3 TECHS woulda been UBER powerful, but possible I suppose).

New Question, just for my own education. If a result does something to more owned cities than you presently have, will it credit you for future cities? For instance, if the result says my State Religion spreads to 10 cities, and I only have 5, will the next 5 cities I build gain my State Religion, or is it a one-shot?

Thanks for the clarification Ori, after I'd really started analyzing and trying to figure out how to reword things to fit in the tiny columns, I figured that was probably the case, but wanted to be sure (3 TECHS woulda been UBER powerful, but possible I suppose).

New Question, just for my own education. If a result does something to more owned cities than you presently have, will it credit you for future cities? For instance, if the result says my State Religion spreads to 10 cities, and I only have 5, will the next 5 cities I build gain my State Religion, or is it a one-shot?
Its a one shot thing - you get max that what it says, if you cannot because of lack of cities that is your loss the game does not keep track of anything (this is almost true ;)).

Got a nasty, nasty event last night, but a quick glance at the lists didn't help. First time I've seen it in 40+ games, so I thought I'd check here.

Hammy caused "massive upheaval" (or the like) in my capital, and I lost both improvements (mine + farm + fishing boats) and town bldgs (lighthouse). Ouch.

So is this an event that I missed :crazyeye: in the lists posted at the top? I don't think he ever got a Great Spy (I had the GW, and he lagged in techs) for the Infiltrate mission, and I can only imagine how many points something like that would take. Should have taken a screen cap, I know. And there was nothing in the log.

(The happy ending: Shortly thereafter I had knights, and Hammy still hadn't figured out that whole Feudalism thing. :hammer: )

NB: Just playing BtS 3 out of the box. No patches, no mods other than Blue Marble.

there does appear to be some new events, I got an awesome one just after the patch. Forget what exactly happened, but I got a temporary -2 happiness to each city as if they'd been whipped and a permanate +2 health.

That one isn't on the list, I'm pretty sure.

Got a nasty, nasty event last night, but a quick glance at the lists didn't help. First time I've seen it in 40+ games, so I thought I'd check here.

Hammy caused "massive upheaval" (or the like) in my capital, and I lost both improvements (mine + farm + fishing boats) and town bldgs (lighthouse). Ouch.

So is this an event that I missed :crazyeye: in the lists posted at the top? I don't think he ever got a Great Spy (I had the GW, and he lagged in techs) for the Infiltrate mission, and I can only imagine how many points something like that would take. Should have taken a screen cap, I know. And there was nothing in the log.

(The happy ending: Shortly thereafter I had knights, and Hammy still hadn't figured out that whole Feudalism thing. :hammer: )

NB: Just playing BtS 3 out of the box. No patches, no mods other than Blue Marble.
:hmm: there are some events that do kill city buildings and there are some that kill improvements but both I have not seen...

there does appear to be some new events, I got an awesome one just after the patch. Forget what exactly happened, but I got a temporary -2 happiness to each city as if they'd been whipped and a permanate +2 health.

That one isn't on the list, I'm pretty sure.
Look closer ;)
Spoiler hint :

Solver's events :mischief:

:hmm: there are some events that do kill city buildings and there are some that kill improvements but both I have not seen...

OK, I went back and found it in the log after all.

"35 BC The Spanish city of Madrid is suffering civil unrest. Riots and looting have broken out."

Ah - this must be it:
Spoiler :
I must have lost two bldgs, not one (maybe a temple?).

Event29
Looters
Prereq: at least one angry in neighboring AI's city
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 70/100
Result:
1.one tile improvement is pillaged
2.you pay 40 gold AND 2 to 4 tile improvements are pillaged
3.you loose 50 Espionage points (with that AI) AND 3 to 5 tile improvements are pillaged AND 2 to all buildings in that city are destroyed AND chance of 4
4.-2 Attitude with neighboring AI

Hammy went with #3 - yowza. Just about the worst event out there, unless you edit the tsunami back into the game.

OK, I went back and found it in the log after all.

"35 BC The Spanish city of Madrid is suffering civil unrest. Riots and looting have broken out."

Ah - this must be it:
Spoiler :
I must have lost two bldgs, not one (maybe a temple?).

Event29
Looters
Prereq: at least one angry in neighboring AI's city
Obsolete: None
Active/Weight: 70/100
Result:
1.one tile improvement is pillaged
2.you pay 40 gold AND 2 to 4 tile improvements are pillaged
3.you loose 50 Espionage points (with that AI) AND 3 to 5 tile improvements are pillaged AND 2 to all buildings in that city are destroyed AND chance of 4
4.-2 Attitude with neighboring AI

Hammy went with #3 - yowza. Just about the worst event out there, unless you edit the tsunami back into the game.
wow I forgot about that one :D You are right that is pretty much and see I made a text mistake there: I wrote neighboring AI when it should have been neighboriong player (unless of course you are an AI :evil:).
Corrected, :thanx:

Is there a way for us to limit the sudden appearance of Barbs as a result of an uprising? Too often they happen why do not have some sort of chance of even having a resemblance of a defence. It would be nice for them to be limited in time or turns so that they appear when you should have enough defence, or if they do happen early, then they should have smaller numbers earlier.

Is there a way for us to limit the sudden appearance of Barbs as a result of an uprising? Too often they happen why do not have some sort of chance of even having a resemblance of a defence. It would be nice for them to be limited in time or turns so that they appear when you should have enough defence, or if they do happen early, then they should have smaller numbers earlier.
Well one could either add a new loop with an additional tech prereq (or change the existing ones), one could add another loop that would allow these uprisings only to occur if more than 1 player know the prereqs or even if all of them know them, and one could change the numbers spawned. All of those are in CvRandomEvenInterface.py and can be modded with a text editor, though it would need some discussion on what would be more balanced without changing them into free XP for the civ thats affected ;)

Some questions and observations.
1. How many events are likely to be valid in any given game ? Is there in fact a limit ? And how many are likely to be triggered ?
2. It would appear that events #6, #20, #27, #30, #78 and #79 should be active in all games, since they all have active = 100. Correct ?
3. Has anybody ever seen event #7, "Man named Jed" ? The trigger conditions seem wildly improbable, although with a weight of 5000 triggering must be highly probable if ever those conditions are met. Also, this should surely go obsolete with Sci. Meth., which reveals Oil. Sub-question: when a resource is revealed by tech discovery (or Jed !) does it becaome visible to all players or only to the revealer ?
4. A result from some events merely says "you pay X gold". Does this always counter the potential loss, i.e. should the result be, for example, "you pay X gold and keep the Theatre" ?
5. When a result shows "chance of 3" does this always mean "chance of result 3 in addition" ?
6. Some results show a gain by a building: is this once only or per turn ? Presumably tile gains are per turn ?
7. Some results give a free promotion to certain units or unit types. I believe this applies only to new units, not to "all" which would include any existing ones. Correct ?
8. Event #139, Partisans - shows weight zero, so ought not to occur. Huh ?
9. Event #37 shows no condition for obsolescence.
10. Events #99-103 ought not to occur if game is set for "no barbarians", but is this the case ?
11. There is apparently no religious Quest available with Hinduism. Why ?

Event #139, Partisans - shows weight zero, so ought not to occur. Huh ?

Partisans is a unique event, being triggered through Python.

Some questions and observations.
1. How many events are likely to be valid in any given game ? Is there in fact a limit ? And how many are likely to be triggered ?
There is no hard limit - every single event is looked at and if it is decided to be active it is. How many are likely to be triggered? no idea - this depends on the number of players and the number of turns the game prgresses...

2. It would appear that events #6, #20, #27, #30, #78 and #79 should be active in all games, since they all have active = 100. Correct ?
Events with iActive = 100 are active in all games, yes.

3. Has anybody ever seen event #7, "Man named Jed" ? The trigger conditions seem wildly improbable, although with a weight of 5000 triggering must be highly probable if ever those conditions are met. Also, this should surely go obsolete with Sci. Meth., which reveals Oil. Sub-question: when a resource is revealed by tech discovery (or Jed !) does it becaome visible to all players or only to the revealer ?
It sort of becomes obsolete, since it cannot be triggered if there is no oil resource that has not yet been discovered, but the trigger does indeed not obsolete - it would probably be more efficient if the game did not have to check this every turn...
Discovery of resources is for the player only.

4. A result from some events merely says "you pay X gold". Does this always counter the potential loss, i.e. should the result be, for example, "you pay X gold and keep the Theatre" ?
Those events were I just wrote you pay xxx do not result in anything else, sometimes it says pay xxx and lose the building, then that is what happens. Of course this is only true if there are no mistakes in this list :rolleyes:
5. When a result shows "chance of 3" does this always mean "chance of result 3 in addition" ?
I should have been more explicit there, and might rewrite it if I find time. Yes that is what it means, you have the result and a chance that the result no.x also occurs.
6. Some results show a gain by a building: is this once only or per turn ? Presumably tile gains are per turn ?
an event like "library gains 2 culture" does indeed mean "library gains 2 culture/turn" - maybe another thing I should be more explicit whenever I update this next.
7. Some results give a free promotion to certain units or unit types. I believe this applies only to new units, not to "all" which would include any existing ones. Correct ?
all units means just that all units that exist and/or will come into existance

8. Event #139, Partisans - shows weight zero, so ought not to occur. Huh ?
what solver says :) it is also the only one I know of that caused CTDs in 3.02/3.03 because of the drafting units bug...
9. Event #37 shows no condition for obsolescence.
see one mistake less in the list :) (the prereq somehow moved into the obsolete line and the "None" for obsolete got lost on its way from my computer to this forum :rolleyes:)
10. Events #99-103 ought not to occur if game is set for "no barbarians", but is this the case ?
this is indeed the case
11. There is apparently no religious Quest available with Hinduism. Why ?
Does Sid himself know this? ;) Seriously the answer is: because the designers did not include one...

for anybody interested in changing events who might have missed the link in Solver's thread: the explanation in this thread is so great that even i can make tweaks to them! fun fun :)

Top Bottom