New Trait Idea: Foresight

Implementing such a trait would imply the belief that foresight actually existed, which would be a bit hard to swallow for many players.

So how would the U.N./Apostolic Palace work?

Coo, but surely it would be a bit overpowered?

EDIT:I mean no obsolete wonders

I disagree... wonders take a long time to build and w/o the industrious trait each wonder built is a reasonably impressive accomplishment. The fact that you do not benefit from this trait from the get-go also balances.

I think it would be a very cool trait because it would in essence allow you to "pick" your own civ bonuses...

I guess. I just really like bilding wonders.

I disagree... wonders take a long time to build and w/o the industrious trait each wonder built is a reasonably impressive accomplishment.

Well, so I could declare war on a civ with a couple of obsolete wonders, capture their cities, and make use of their wonders even though they themselves couldn't. This does not sound very balanced to me.

Also, I think the few wonders that do obsolete do so for a reason - or, perhaps even for two. One is game balance (a non-obsoleting Great Library would be *extremely* powerful), the other is plausibility (having Chichen Itza provide a defense bonus isn't all that plausible when gunpowder units run around and all walls get obsoleted anyways). Changing this won't improve the game imho.

Also, I don't really see why "foresight" should allow for non-obsoleting wonders. Having foresight might allow me to adapt to global changes that will come in the future, but it can't prevent these changes.

I don't really see the meaning with such a trait. I mean, "build the Stonehenge and watch it's futile powers never go away with Astronomy"? I mean, it's not really THAT many wonders that go obsolete.

Stonehenge is belived to be used as a calender. Since it obsoletes to quickly with calander, in was changed to astronomy, which is quite like calander with the stars etc. Anyway the logic is, after the discovery of astronomy, we can easily tell time and thus do not need Stonehenge. Most ancient wonders are obsolete. Many are so obsolete, we don't know for sure what they were for.

It would be a perfect trait for Atatürk!!11!!

But no,it is overpowered..

Well, so I could declare war on a civ with a couple of obsolete wonders, capture their cities, and make use of their wonders even though they themselves couldn't. This does not sound very balanced to me.

Also, I think the few wonders that do obsolete do so for a reason - or, perhaps even for two. One is game balance (a non-obsoleting Great Library would be *extremely* powerful), the other is plausibility (having Chichen Itza provide a defense bonus isn't all that plausible when gunpowder units run around and all walls get obsoleted anyways). Changing this won't improve the game imho.

Also, I don't really see why "foresight" should allow for non-obsoleting wonders. Having foresight might allow me to adapt to global changes that will come in the future, but it can't prevent these changes.

These just sound like technicalities to me... perhaps think of the trait as more of a Visionary or basically someone who understands and values the lessons of the past and applies them to current situations. Historical sites are still of great value today: you might not hide behind the physical defenses of Chichen Itza but you can still learn from the processes of the engineers who constructed it for example.

I got an idea...
Wonders are obsolete again,but culture doubles.If uni of sankore gives +4:culture:,after it is obsolete,it gives +8:culture: under control of a foresighted Leader.
Maybe it is overpowered too..

I got an idea...
Wonders are obsolete again,but culture doubles.If uni of sankore gives +4:culture:,after it is obsolete,it gives +8:culture: under control of a foresighted Leader.
Maybe it is overpowered too..

It makes sense logically and I think it's a cool idea... except that it would only be useful in fairly specific cases (i.e. cultural victory) so it would be pretty boring from that standpoint :/

Alternatively though, I was thinking they could add a technology like Preservationism or w/e that would serve a similar function. Certainly an important concept in history imho.

you can already do that in a limited basis, if you don't have the obsoleting techs but they do. it's just not retroactive if you do know the techs. in one culture game i flipped washington's chicken pizza city, and the spiral minaret and hagia sophia from fred. all 3 were obsolete for them, but they weren't for little miss backwards me ;).

Effect: No wonder obsolescence

To balance: Cannot be paired with Industrious trait?

This is awful if it's the only thing you get out of foresight. Perhaps a 50% reduction in troop upgrades as well. I still don't really like it. Maybe another no anarchy when you change civics (not religion).

Top Bottom