New L.o.t.R scenario: 'The Return of the King'

FavouredFlight

Warlord
I'm currently in the final stages of creating the sequel to my first scenario, 'Moria: A Journey in the Dark'. The game takes up where Moria left off, with the Fellowship of the Ring standing in Dimrill Dale, having just escaped from the mines. Goblins and orcs are hard on their heels as they make their way to the safety of Lorien.
The game is larger in scope than Moria but, this time, I've managed to prise it all into just one event file. Taken as a whole it covers the Lord of the Rings story from Moria to the downfall of Sauron. The player, once again, controls the members of the Fellowship, but now he must also take command of the free peoples of Gondor and Rohan. Both these lands find themselves hard pressed by the forces of evil.
From the east comes Sauron's seemingly endless dark hordes of orcs, goblins, Easterlings, Southrons, Mumakil, etc. While from the west comes Saruman's Uruks and Hillmen. The Free Peoples, hopelessly outnumbered, are about to be overwhelmed and crushed, it's surely only a matter of time.
Can you guide Frodo to Mount Doom, in the heart of the enemy's land, and there drop the One Ring into the fires of its creation? Can you use the other members of the Fellowship to rally enough friends and heroes together to buy enough time for that quest to be accomplished? Or will Minas Tirith fall, and with it freedom?

Once the game is finished I'll be posting it to Civ Fanatics for inclusion in their fantasy scenario lists. In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments please feel free to reply.
For regular updates of how things are going, head over to my website at www.favfly.fsworld.co.uk/index.html

A view from the fortress at Helm's Deep to Edoras and Dunharrow.
Do you like the BIG mountains?

Attachments

• rohan.gif
    rohan.gif
    195.9 KB · Views: 493
The view from Minas Tirith across the Anduin to Minas Morgul on the western slopes of Ephel Duath.

NB: Minas Tirith has the outlying Rammas Echor and raised causeway road. I was so happy when that worked!

Attachments

• anduin.gif
    anduin.gif
    162.7 KB · Views: 553
I created it using Fantastic Worlds so it should work with MGE as far as I know.

Just based on those images, I have to say...Stunning!

(But after your last one, that's not a surprise.)

Amazing! :goodjob: Can't wait to play it.

You told me in prev post that you were a programmer/designer so I am assuming you are using some sort of professional design application for you graphics.
I have one question, What is It?
You surely don't use MS Paint like me?

Wow, if a few graphics experts like you and a few programming people could get Sid/Microprose to pop loose with a documented copy of the souces code, we could have the ultimate Civ 2 that we all know is possible!!!

Those shots look awesome!!!!!

:goodjob:
:goodjob:

(double good job :) )

terrain graphics. The mountains look good; the big effect is well done. The Minas Tirith graphic is quite exceptional. Are you creating all your terrains or just some of them?

Originally posted by anarchywrksbest
You told me in prev post that you were a programmer/designer so I am assuming you are using some sort of professional design application for you graphics.
I have one question, What is It?
You surely don't use MS Paint like me?

Yeah, I've been making games now for around fourteen years. I used to use deluxe paint to draw graphics but now use a combination of Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro and (almost exclusively for units and terrain) Pro Motion.
I've never really used MS Paint. It's too limited and restricting. Get hold of Pro Motion if you can, it's the best pixel pushing package since Brilliance on the Amiga.

Originally posted by Peregrine
terrain graphics. The mountains look good; the big effect is well done. The Minas Tirith graphic is quite exceptional. Are you creating all your terrains or just some of them?

I drew the mountains and sea from scratch; the hills came from Fantastic Worlds (momjr scenario); the forest is a conversion of a set I found somewhere (maybe the Angmar scenario), I just tidied them up and put shadows and trunks on; likewise for the rivers - I took the basic shape, then enhanced them.

I'm happy with the Minas Tirith graphic too. Just wait until you see the cheeky way that I've managed to do it.;)

Never seen graphics like it! They're awsome! :goodjob:

I liked moria a lot and this looks like it's going to be great as well!:goodjob:

If anyone has a Civ website and wants to get hold of the Return of the King scenario earlier than everyone else, just put a link on your site for my website (www.favfly.fsworld.co.uk/index.html) and drop me a line to let me know you've done it.

Easy as that.

Wow!

Top Bottom