Which hurts turn times and lag more: more civs or bigger map?

Aaron90495

King
Simple as it sounds. Would a game with more civs than typically-allotted on a certain size hurt my frame rate much, or does map size affect frame rate more?

Both. A larger map means more civilizations to go through or more units to process.

Both. A larger map means more civilizations to go through or more units to process.

If you had to choose one, which would it be? I want to play a game with a lot of
Civs for my first try at Sweden, but I can only run it on a standard map before turn times become ridiculous (and I don't want to turn down the graphics :)).

The lag used to be caused by workers, iirc, so more civs would be bad. I think they've fixed that particular bug, though, so I can't answer the question.

Probably more civs, but I haven't got definitive evidence. More AI is the primary cause of longer turn times, and adding civs will increase the strain on the AI faster than adding tiles will (though adding tiles WILL have that effect).

Incidentally, fiddling with graphic settings won't have any effect at all, most likely.

Simple as it sounds. Would a game with more civs than typically-allotted on a certain size hurt my frame rate much, or does map size affect frame rate more?

If the question is about turn times as in topic adding civs slows the game more from the start than increasing map size while keeping the number of civs constant - most of the cpu time goes to calculating units' actions. Depending on wars & number of civs wiped out this eventually will turn around in later stages when all the available land is filled.
If, however the question is about fps neither of those makes much of a difference but it's all about graphics easy solution being turning off the combat graphics but I fail to see how anyone should have a problem with low fps on a turn based game.

G

I found that going into Strategic View (F10) prior to hitting next turn (or even during the turn) sped up large maps the most. Both CPU goes down by 50% or so and the camera does not show you every AI battle in view. For me actually adding more memory ended up a bigger factor as I had 4 GB previously and Windows 7 would thrash around with Civ and other apps like firefox.

Top Bottom