'One World' to 'Brave New World'?

One world is the cooperation of AA, BA, airberlin, Qantas and some other airlines. They didn't want to pay for advertising so the name was changed.

I like BNW a lot better than One World since the latter is also associated with a humanistic, new-agey utopia, a kind of false and illusionary peace.

Brave New World has a better ring to it than One World.

Some people were already complaining about the "One World" name. Might be part of the reason for the change seeing the reaction from various forums?

I'm pretty sure almost all of the uses of the phrase "Brave New World" in history are references to The Tempest or Huxley (who was also referencing the Tempest).

So, there is no doubt the book played a role in their decision. (Unless their markting department is completely incompetent.)

FWIW, I doubt that the marketing department (either of Firaxis or 2K) decided the name of the game.

As for the difference in name. One World definitely struck me as emphasizing globalization. Brave New World seems to have some diplomatic elements ("O brave new world that has such people), but it also seems to strike me of referencing modernity. Certainly, Poland's UA of Solidarność seems to evoke this. It would be cool if they pushed the tech tree a bit more with future tech. At a minimum, drones would be cool.

Yep Drones are a unit that should make it into civ now. Its a unit of the times and times to come

I didn't really get this title. First I thought it has something to do with the geographical-cultural "New World", but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't think I've ever heard this phrase (Brave New World), but some people is relating it to ideologies, diplomacy etc. What am I missing?

There was a book from 1931 about a dystopian World State formed together after states voted on resources and such over time - So I guess it could be that. It sounds better than One World and potentially a bit more mysterious/ominous?

There was a book from 1931 about a dystopian World State formed together after states voted on resources and such over time - So I guess it could be that. It sounds better than One World and potentially a bit more mysterious/ominous?

I'll see what I can learn about this book. But yes, it sounds more... illusive, somewhat misleading to me.

I'm probably going to think of Aldous Huxley whenever I hear of this expansion for like 6 months. Even if I haven't read that book since a couple years before I joined CFC.

But I like the name better than "One World". "Brave New World" applies well to progressing technology, and not just futuristic dystopias. It was a brave new world when the New World was being settled, when revolutions were forming across Europe in 1848, when the Great War and all its devastation occured, when Communism took hold in Russia. In a way, it indicates a more modern focus, similar to how "Beyond the Sword" did, but less militaristically. It also fits in rather nicely with both the literarcy references, and the struggle between freedom, autocracy, and order that is said to be emphasized. And it still works with globalization and trade - that in itself is a brave new world compared to the more isolated economies of the past century. But these "brave new worlds" don't have to be dystopian, as Huxley portrays it.

Whereas "One World"... IMO the associations are worse. It says there is only one world, which will make Call to Power fans yearn for its multiple maps - not a good thing to be reminded is lacking. It can portray unity, but more so portrays one world government, which I think most associate more with dystopia than utopia. I reckon it's actually more dystopian than Brave New World. I tend to associate one world with the Majestic 12, Illuminati conspiracies, the New World Order, and so forth. And while your goal in Civ may well be to conquer the world and be the sole ruler, I don't think the "One World" title would be portraying that in a very positive light.

Top Bottom