why cant we ask for tribute

Jim Bro

Emperor of Quebec
is it me or its impossible to ask for tribute in any circumstances

it makes no sense. how can we talk here of an AI when i have the capacity to destroy it with nuclear arsenal yet it wont give me 10 bucks...

Um, there's a button on the diplomacy screen that says "Demand". That's what does it, although I don't think it hardly ever works, unless the AI has the "afraid" status.

Um, there's a button on the diplomacy screen that says "Demand". That's what does it, although I don't think it hardly ever works, unless the AI has the "afraid" status.

It depends on... random luck. Even when they are Afraid, civs can respond with "Please. You are in no position to make demands" or "You ask for TOO MUCH you monster!"

The only time I've managed to get something out of an Afraid AI with that Demand was a one-sided Open Borders agreement. And that was in Vanilla.

Yup; the AI has to show "afraid" in order for them to give in.

I got it to work a while back with England (on vanilla) and I'm pretty sure she was just "Guarded".. I had units near her borders and demanded a lux and some GPT and she said "I'll do whatever it takes to keep the peace." I hardly ever attempt it now unless I have an eventual enemy who is "Afraid"..

I do it just to add another negative diplomacy hit with a civ I'm trying to goad into a DoW so I can not get hit with warmonger.

I guess the AI has a bad enough time playing this game without giving you stuff completely for free. ;)

Top Bottom