Prince to King

Ajuga

Prince
So yesterday I decided to finally up my game and play on King difficulty.
Now I know that the gap between Prince and King was pretty big in vanilla, I experienced it myself and ended up winning on King.
I dropped the game for a while and picked it back up with the expansion, which of course changes many things. Kept playing on Prince while learning about the mechanics and yesterday I figured it was time to move up (after playing perhaps 10 Prince GaK games (and winning without breaking a sweat)).

First attempt at GaK King:
Spoiler :
Went with Babylonian on Frontier and bordered Spain on a snakey continent of maybe 8 tiles wide, before I knew it she declared war on me. I recovered fast and using some strategic placement I could stop all her advancements with just two crossbowmen. Tried to spread my religion but sadly Arabia was just a 6 tile ocean away and spammed his religion. I could do nothing against it, his natural pressure was strong enough to even block my holy-city from flipping.
Germany pretty much settled everywhere he could, even on my continent and I was just stuck with crappy tundra tiles for the most part.
The religion spam combined with what seemed to be 2 civs per land made simply ragequit the game. It wasn't fun.

(Though I could have taken out Spain and Arabia with some effort, their defenses were crap against Trebs.)

Second attempt at GaK King:
Spoiler :
Into my second try, again with Babylon.
Rolled a desert start filled with floodplains and bordering the sea, space for maybe 3 cities but all I got was Spices and Sugar (with a distant Cotton and Marble), wanted to get the Petra to make a powerhouse but decided to not get a religion for a change.
Pacal was just 8 tiles north of me and pretty much blocked me from settling further inland. Never met the dude but apparently he's a warmonger and he made me roll back to a save (multiple times) when he suddenly charged me with +20 units.
Could not counter-attack because his land was filled with jungle. Siege wouldn't work, had to play defensive.
Long story short he got killed by a joint attack from Ethiopia (my ally) and England (former ally, now a huge b***h).

Have the worst everything on demographics, was 3rd in science but I just barely managed to get 1st after rushing all science buildings and going science focus.
Everything else is still worst, but to make things even worse Egypt is in the game and his capital has Marble and he has pretty much build every single wonder in the game except for 2 I rushed with a engineer (he also got petra ._.).

Just really bad luck or do you really need a religion to boost the happiness to stand a chance against the plague that is the enemy civilizations?

Got any tips in general? I know most basics such as building more military.
The hammers and gold lost to military make up for the loss you suffer when the AI starts pillaging or blocking your tiles. (Although at this point I didn't even have 1 military unit for every city).

It's just, gah.. Having way more trouble with King on GaK then I used in vanilla.

Defense against enemy AI civs:
1 Composite per city (built as Archers and upgrade) will work.

For offense, you need some offensive units as well which is tech specific.

Happiness issues conquering an AI:
1. AI builds a lot of "junk cities" that don't bring in any key tiles not already within range of another city. Raze those to the ground.

2. Don't just be barely happy when your planning on conquering and keeping cities pre-war; build more happy structures. Concentrate on the no maintenance ones first such as Circus, Stone Works, & Circus Maximus.

If you rolled a multi-city desert start, I would have definitely tried to get Desert Folklore and had a massively powerful religion, which can erase any happiness/ money problems (depending in beliefs).

As for the early rushes, I like to have two range and maybe a melee depending on the location. Try to settle on hills when possible; they give a defensive as well as a production bonus. As Babylon, your Bowman and Walls of Babylon should be enough to hold off most early rushes. Planting and working your Great Scientist will allow you to leap ahead in techs and have much better units anyway.

Got any tips in general? I know most basics such as building more military.
The hammers and gold lost to military make up for the loss you suffer when the AI starts pillaging or blocking your tiles. (Although at this point I didn't even have 1 military unit for every city).

It's just, gah.. Having way more trouble with King on GaK then I used in vanilla.

No additional advice from me, will just echo your military comments. I worked my way up from prince to emperor prior to the fall patch. Dropped back down to Prince and have gotten back up to King. So I know where you're coming from. The biggest difference for me was the size of my military.

Prior to the fall patch I knew pretty well how large it had to be to prevent a DOW or hold my territory up to Emperor. The patch really changed the scale significantly for me as I typically try to build the smallest military possible.

The least I've been able to get away with on King is having 4 ranged and 3 melee units up to medieval with coin and production ability to get more quickly once the inevitable DOW happens. Of course if there is a runaway on your continent the numbers change dramatically.

The AI grabs a lot more wonders on King than Prince, from what I can tell. I just moved from Prince to King myself, and I haven't been able to grab those Ancient era wonders until I out-teched everyone and built my military.

In my current King game:
Spoiler :
Started as Augustus of Rome on a snaky continent with Siam to my North and Songhai to my South. I decided to forego religion so I could make an early push to settle two more cities and build up to CBs to protect myself, since I knew I was going to piss both neighbors off. My first settler blocked Siam from settling a second city. My second settler settled right next to Songhai's first settler, so he pulled back and made his second city close to his first in a non-ideal location. After rushing a bunch of archers and upgrading them to CB's to cover my ass, I rushed to Legions and used my size and UU advantage to wipe them both off my continent fairly easily.

Now it seems like I'm back at Prince level, but my early rush made me 5th place (out of 5 remaining civs) in founding & enhancing a religion and the first wonder I was able to grab was the Hanging Gardens.

The AI grabs a lot more wonders on King than Prince, from what I can tell. I just moved from Prince to King myself, and I haven't been able to grab those Ancient era wonders until I out-teched everyone and built my military.

AI grabbing wonders is even more so as you go further up the difficulty level and is normal.

Specific to King is that the AI starts with Pottery and so it is one tech closer to wonders whose tech have Pottery as a prereq.

I just finally tried a Prince the other night, and I never saw so many barbarians. It wasn't even set to raging. Thankfully after a while they finally just started trickling in. What is it like on King? It was fun eventually. Japan kept DoWing, then once I got to Berserkers then Ski Infantry I countered him.

I just finally tried a Prince the other night, and I never saw so many barbarians. It wasn't even set to raging. Thankfully after a while they finally just started trickling in. What is it like on King? It was fun eventually. Japan kept DoWing, then once I got to Berserkers then Ski Infantry I countered him.

Barbs behavior is somewhat defined in Civ5HandicapInfos:

In some ways, Prince is as tough as barbs ever get. Details:

By default, Prince is the first level in which new barb camps be created on turn 0. (Note that this is in addition to the camps at game start).

In addition, Prince is the first level in which Barb Spawn Mod is 0. (It is a positive number on lower numbers which appears to increase number of turns between spawns. And yup; warlord + aggressive barbs could indeed be lower spawn rate than prince & normal barbs.)

And in addition, Prince is the first level in which Barbs are free to enter the players territory on turn 0. (There is a delay on lower levels, which since the AI plays on Chieftain gives AI's workers immunity from barbs in early game; note that city states play on Prince so they still get attacked.)

Here's the two things that continue to make barb fighting tougher on higher levels:
1. Bonus fighting barbs continues to decrease
2. Range that barbs will go roaming continues to increase.

I just did my first culture victory on King, though to be fair it was with a few mods and the civ was a mod of The Franks. The only King game I've won without mods was a science victory with Babylon.

Top Bottom