Brave New World: New units, building and improvements

I'm leaning toward replacing the Chariot Archer myself. Assyria is already an Ancient Era warmonger. Giving them a siege replacement to spearmen would invite too much comparison to the Huns. They have to do something to differentiate them. Replacing the warrior and the archer is not as good, because you get warriors right off the bat and archers are necessary for defense.

If we're right about the speculation that the unit is indeed an Assyrian Siege Tower, then why can't it be an "early catapult" that they receive, much like the Mayans receive an "early archer"?

There's already a precedent of this happening with the Atlatlist being unlocked with Agriculture (first tech) and the Mayans not getting an Archer with Archery, so I think it's quite possible that the Assyrians unlock their Siege Tower at, for instance, Masonry, and then not get a catapult at Mathematics.
I reckon the the Siege Tower would then also be slightly more powerful than a catapult when attacking cities. Like maybe 150% strength vs. cities or something.

IMO, the great war infantry crowded up the warrior unit line a bunch, which already had a bunch of post gunpowder pre 1950s units, which you had for a short amount of time, then you had infantry for a long period of time.

In my head, they should have added a cold war era unit, which would have split up the time between units better.

I sort of agree with the sentiment that GWI is spaced poorly, though the only workable alternative would be to just not have a unit in that position for that time, which may be what the quote is getting at.

Aren't mechanized infantry a cold-war era unit, however? Russian BMP was out before they were in Afghanistan. Are you saying add another cold-war era unit?

I sort of agree with the sentiment that GWI is spaced poorly, though the only workable alternative would be to just not have a unit in that position for that time, which may be what the quote is getting at.

Aren't mechanized infantry a cold-war era unit, however? Russian BMP was out before they were in Afghanistan. Are you saying add another cold-war era unit?

I'm thinking:

- Switch gunpowder and chemistry
- Switch steam powder and rifling
- Push plastics to be one slot later on, and change infantry to be "Cold war era infantry".

My thinking is that the changes in small arms tech between the 1st and second world wars wasn't enough to warrent a whole new unit, but the changes between the second world war and the vietnam war era is.

I'm thinking:

- Switch gunpowder and chemistry
- Switch steam powder and rifling
- Push plastics to be one slot later on, and change infantry to be "Cold war era infantry".

My thinking is that the changes in small arms tech between the 1st and second world wars wasn't enough to warrent a whole new unit, but the changes between the second world war and the vietnam war era is.

My main thought, when you mention plastics, is that the laboratory building and infantry unit should not be unlocked by the same tech. One key way to delay the infantry a little more would be to push it on to a bit later tech that isn't immediately preceeded by plastics. Right now, part of why it feels like it occurs too quickly after GWI is, in part, probably related to many players going after plastics for labs right away. I can't say for others, but I go for labs very quickly after getting a couple public schools up.

But who knows. Maybe Brave New World is going to add extra techs in the late-game. Especially since that's sort of what the title connotates, with the implied emphasis on late-game and techs (although some of the few leaked details seem to imply the opposite: siege towers, winged hussars).

Probably because it's not a misspelling, but an alternate spelling. I'd guess it's more likely to be seen in non-American previews.

Has anyone heard of any new resources that will be added? If not is there any speculation about this? I'd like to see coffee, tobacco, and olive oil added as luxury resources. They could add poultry for a food resource. Any other ideas?

I don't think the Assyrians will get a chariot archer replacement. It would make them too... Hunnish. I would think they get a later unit or a building instead.

i like the idea of the siege tower being unlocked as an early catapult. i'd guess that'd happen upon researching the wheel but doesn't catapult unlock about 14 turns later with mathematics?

Do you think we see many/any new military units? I remember one site mentioning "dozens of new units" but that would include the Unique Units and Great People, caravans etc. and still I doubt we get many new ones.
G&K had eight I think.

A sort of assault line (bonus to attack, penalty for defense?) line might work, like
Axeman -> Maceman -> Grenadier -> Assault infantry(flamethrowers)

My main thought, when you mention plastics, is that the laboratory building and infantry unit should not be unlocked by the same tech. One key way to delay the infantry a little more would be to push it on to a bit later tech that isn't immediately preceeded by plastics. Right now, part of why it feels like it occurs too quickly after GWI is, in part, probably related to many players going after plastics for labs right away. I can't say for others, but I go for labs very quickly after getting a couple public schools up.

But who knows. Maybe Brave New World is going to add extra techs in the late-game. Especially since that's sort of what the title connotates, with the implied emphasis on late-game and techs (although some of the few leaked details seem to imply the opposite: siege towers, winged hussars).

Well, plastics for a cold war era infantry unit would make sense.

Do you think we see many/any new military units? I remember one site mentioning "dozens of new units" but that would include the Unique Units and Great People, caravans etc. and still I doubt we get many new ones.
G&K had eight I think.
The official site says "dozens of new units, buildings and improvements", so they're grouped together in the "dozens." G&K had 27 new units, of which 23 were combat units.

I don't see a lot of obvious openings for new units, as G&K stuffed in a lot of new units (overstuffed in some cases, in my opinion). Maybe some new late-game air and naval units. A WWII-era cruiser would be nice.

Mobile Tactical Missle Launcher,
Mobile Nuclear Missle Launcher?

In the official site they don't mention new resources, but you would think they add some because of the theme of the expansion and Africa scenario.

Its also interesting to see what are the new Improvements they are talking about. Are they all culture related?

I dont think they are going to add a lot of new units. One thing I would love to see is that barbarians would have their own unique units. It would be cool if you could hire these special barbarian units as mercenaries. Barbarians could have special terrain based bonuses and bonus when attacking.

I think we're not going to see many new units outside of the civies already mentioned as well as UUs. They would have mentioned it already, or at least hinted towards it. I wouldnt mind seeing a dreadnought, and a more fleshed out ranged line (grenadier and sniper at the end are my thoughts).

the jump from pikeman to rifleman is also huge, I always wait beeline for rifleman because they are so powerful compared to others and then I can murder my opponents while i pick up the now 1-4 turn earlier techs i missed.
Also, Siam's UU the elephant is soooooo overpowered.

Grenadiers as ranged units don't make sense - grenadiers were close-assault troops used to break fortifications (with their explosives) and particularly skilled in close-quarters combat.

Ok i would like that Military CS could give theyre own UU isntead of UU from other civs,example:

-PIRATE SHIPS (rennesaince) -could wage warfare and steal gold from cities without causing war.
- WOLVES OF WAR (modern era) sniper unit specialized in killing GP from 2-3 tile away, wery weak against other units

INFRANTRY should improve to MODERN INFRANTRY ( 3modern soldier with M-16 or AK47,both weapons are very famous,and only 1 armored vehicle) and
MARINES should improve to SPECIAL UNIT (with unique amphibious graphic,LCAC my suggestion)

I am also for infrantry line with blunt weapos,bonus dmg,minus defence ( two handed axmens, then maces , (then total switch like pikmens to lancers) to something else and later going to marines)

Also SAPPERS or COMBAT ENGIENIERS, that would put obstacles for tank/infrantry units (mines,barbed wire) and remove the same.Mines are historically one of the most used modern weaponry that is yet to see the light of day in Civ

MERCENARIES (with minus dmg and defence then same era basic infrantry unit) that can only be bought, and is cheaper then other units

Also i would put religious units that u can buy with faith such as GHAZI,PILGRIMS,FANATICS etc ,that would be good front line target units hehe

Top Bottom