The new siege UU should belong to Assyria (with evidence)

Could be an interesting UA, although I wonder if it could become a cheap tactic to gain GPs.

-Declare war
-Conquer capitol
-Get GP
-Trade Capitol back for peace
-Rinse and repeat every ten turns

Hey you Assyrians! Protect your general,dam'it.

I know, right? Maybe they're not at war, but still...

Assyrians could get a science boost from capturing cities, they were pretty famous for dispersing the best people from the conquered civilizations and using them for their own advancements.
I wish Autocracy gave out science for capturing cities instead of culture. Freedom and Order have science bennies baked in, so Autocracy is kind of the odd man out.

I suggested over in the ideas forum that a good UA for Assyria would be free barracks in every city, and half production costs on courthouses, forges, and stables.

Then at least one civ might build those buildings in the same era they unlock them. :)

Could be an interesting UA, although I wonder if it could become a cheap tactic to gain GPs.

-Declare war
-Conquer capitol
-Get GP
-Trade Capitol back for peace
-Rinse and repeat every ten turns
Getting a GP for each captured city is over the top. Consider how few GP Maya gets over the course of a game, and consider how quickly cities can be conquered in succession.

Well my idea was just taking capitals would grant the great person. Maybe make it so that you only get the GP the first time you take that capital, then in a standard game you could only get a maximum of 6 great people (if you got the seventh the game would be over :p)

My radical guess is that the siege tower has the unique ability to directly do a lot of damage to a fortified unit in the city, which could be kinda useful.

That would indeed be interesting. Those fortified units can be such a pain. It would probably have a cover promotion too?

Turns out there's multiple threads discussing this one unit, so posting this idea in various places :blush:

If we're right about the speculation that the unit is indeed an Assyrian Siege Tower (or some other name), then it could be an "early catapult" that they receive, much like the Mayans receive an "early archer".

There's already a precedent of this happening with the Atlatlist being unlocked with Agriculture (first tech) and the Mayans not getting an Archer with Archery, so I think it's quite possible that the Assyrians unlock their Siege Tower at, for instance, Masonry, and then not get a catapult at Mathematics.
I reckon the the Siege Tower would then also be slightly more powerful than a catapult when attacking cities. Like maybe 150% strength vs. cities or something.

Turns out there's multiple threads discussing this one unit, so posting this idea in various places :blush:

If we're right about the speculation that the unit is indeed an Assyrian Siege Tower (or some other name), then it could be an "early catapult" that they receive, much like the Mayans receive an "early archer".

There's already a precedent of this happening with the Atlatlist being unlocked with Agriculture (first tech) and the Mayans not getting an Archer with Archery, so I think it's quite possible that the Assyrians unlock their Siege Tower at, for instance, Masonry, and then not get a catapult at Mathematics.
I reckon the the Siege Tower would then also be slightly more powerful than a catapult when attacking cities. Like maybe 150% strength vs. cities or something.

Would Masonry be any better Mathematics? Going down to Masonry is often an inferior path than to Math, even though it takes less time.

Also, catapults already have 200% strength vs. cities, so maybe you meant 250%?

Would Masonry be any better Mathematics? Going down to Masonry is often an inferior path than to Math, even though it takes less time.

Also, catapults already have 200% strength vs. cities, so maybe you meant 250%?

Isn't Masonry the pre-req for Math??

Yep you're right, 250% then.

Top Bottom