[Speculation] National identity of Privateers in view of new trade routes mechanics

Akinaba

Warlord
Will it stay the same or will be changed to '"neutral" or "barbarian" as it was back in CivIV?

Since there are now actual units that forms trade routes it's must be interesting if Privateers will or will not be of certain identity 'cause it obviously inflicts Naval tactics of a player and force him to highly defend naval trade routes.
What are your thoughts on it?

I agree that now that there is merchant shipping to attack, there's a case to be made for true "pirate" units. This could be implemented as a new unit or a change to the Privateer.

But technically, Privateers did not attack anonymously; they flew the flag of their patron nation.

But technically, Privateers did not attack anonymously; they flew the flag of their patron nation.
I wonder if in terms of new game mechanics attacking a trade ship will automatically trigger a war? If not, then it makes no difference, but if yes then it's the other talk.

Additionally, it would perhaps make sense if attacking a trade ship will decrease your relation with a civ to some point.

Great point, Akinaba! I'd like to see this feature return. However, AriochIV is right, they almost always had the flag of their patron.

Indeed, privateers will have a proper function harassing trade routes. Intereseting.

Also because a trade route benefits two nations it's even harder to guess what nation's privateer it is.

The other contra argument I see is that suppose, you at war with some Civ. If all Privateers of the world are depicted as barbarian thet how do you tell what Privateers are of your enemy and what are not?

1. Maybe when you start a war those eneymy privateers will magically reveal their identity (not to cool, if you ask me);
2. No privateer'll need to hide it's nationality if attacking a trade ship doesn't cause the war to start. But such an action certainly must inflict a negative modifyer on relations with those civ.

To be more percize attacking a trade ship must cast bad modifyer at political relations with both countries that sit on either side of destroyed trade route. Right?

Privateers in the Civ 4 Colonization game were anonymous when attacking, so it wouldn't be overly surprising if they went in that direction here, too. As a few others have alluded, however, there could always be an actual 'Pirate' unit of some sort, since Privateers always raised their nation's flag at the last moment so as not to contravene the rules of war of the time.

Top Bottom