Cultural themes and relics

Ikael

King
Reading trought the Rock Paper Shotgun interview with Dennis Shirk, I stumbled into yet another really cool aspect of the new cultural mechanic, related to the retrievement of antiquities:

Those antiquity sites we keep track of, which civilisations were involved, whether it was a battle, whether it was an ancient ruin that was uncovered or a barbarian camp that was destroyed, and so that’s exactly when your archaeologist goes there, he’s going to try to extract that item and he’ll be able to take it back and create another great work, an artefact, and put it in the museum. And based on the different types of museums you have, you’re sort of trying to collect different types of archaeological pieces.

So for instance the Louvre, if you think about the Louvre, it’s got art, archaeological things, all sorts of things from across the world. So for instance, if you build the Louvre wonder, trying to fill that with a great diversity of different works of art and artefacts from all sorts of cultures from around the world, and the better you satisfy those what we call theming bonuses from the different wonders and museums in your civilisation, the extra points of culture and tourism that you can generate.

It’s actually a really interesting mini-game that kind of happened into being that our community gameplay testers really started to enjoy, because you’ve got this UI that you can bring up that shows all of your great works and artefacts in all of your different buildings. As Ed said, theming them or matching them up or putting all the ones that you’ve found in one particular building, you can get different variations on these tourism buffs, like plus two tourism or plus four tourism, if you theme them well, so actually discovering the themes because we’re not documenting them. It’s up to the fans to find all these different kinds of themes. It can give you big benefits, but it’s actually a lot of fun just seeing what will actually match up from similar time periods, the kind of variety and diversity of artwork you put into place. Very cool.

So let me get this straight: we could actually recreate the great museums and art collection of the world inside our cities by pairing relics and works of art that follows a same thematic and grouping them inside certain buildings or wonders, which in turn will give us great tourism and other type bonuses. Say: Tutankamon's coffin + pryamids + the scribe = New theme unlocked "Ancient Egypt": +3 tourism +2 happiness inside the city".

This game. This freaking game, holy crap. This just keep getting better and better.

it sounds like it could be a really cool little mini game

They're throwing a bone to the simulation aspect of the game in a way that directly contributes to succeeding at the game part of the game.

I love it, A+ idea Firaxis you run with that

very well spotted Ikael!
yeah, that sounds like an awesome little mini-game. I hope I don't find out about too many of the themes by being on this forum too much ;) I like surprises and finding out things for myself :D

I like this idea, although after a number of playthroughs most themes will e known, of course, but still, it's nice and stimulating.

I also wonder if the works have multiple themes on them, for instance by date (eg Late Antiquity), by location (eg near east), by usage (eg. religious), etc.
So one can make different collections with the works available.

Trading and/or loaning of artefacts would be a useful aspect of this mechanic, I haven't seen any mention of it in the articles to date but I hope it's included.

So basically you can become a cultural powerhouse by plundering the the artifacts and relics of other civilizations and hauling them back to the homeland and putting them on display?

Sounds awesome. :D

it sounds like it could be a really cool little mini game

Yes. It sounds like Civilization Pokemon or something. It could fit very well into the game if done correctly. I guess Petra was just the beginning of Civ V's Indiana Jones references.

Top Bottom