How do you stop Nukes?

Hamishator

Chieftain
Is there any way to stop nukes since you can't build bunkers or SDI defence or anything in civ 5? I've tried putting my aircraft on intercept missions and putting anti-air guns around my cities and nothing works :(

In exactly the same way you would stop nukes in real life - duck and cover. :)

Hmm, this is a problem. I can't seem to get through a single game without annoying one of the AI's and once one declares war they all jump on the bandwagon and there's no way I can take on 7 AI's on immortal when they all have nukes :(

All they need to do is make it so Aircraft intercept or AA guns can shoot them down. It may not be realistic but would make for a more fun and strategic game.

Nukes in CiV to the best of my knowledge is currently unstoppable.

Its gonna hit you full force in home :p Pity there's no desertification in this civ. I like that aspect in civ4 XD

I often play on a continents map, and if you clear out your own continent and preemptively murder any stinking AI piece of crap settler that even thinks about the possibility of maybe stepping foot on it (have a navy) you're usually out of range of his city stationed Nukes. If he has them on Cruisers/Subs you should be able to see coming... if you have Destroyers all on "alert" ringing your continent during times of war.

That's about the safest way probably, other than nuking every single AI city of every Civ every single turn... which I'd prefer to do but gets expensive and the Uranium is too scarce :lol:

Repeat after me .... "Our Father, who art in Heaven ....."

Nukes in CiV to the best of my knowledge is currently unstoppable.

Its gonna hit you full force in home :p Pity there's no desertification in this civ. I like that aspect in civ4 XD

The desert fairy magic mechanic in civ IV was one of the stupidest features in any game:

1. Gameplay Balance check: FAILED. Reason: any source of global warming (actually desert fairy magic DFM) hit tiles on the world at random, without any bias toward people who caused it. On average, it penalized all empires equally, never managing to change the relative position of civs in the game meaningfully.

2. Realism check: FAILED. Nukes couldn't possibly cause that particular effect in real life. Nukes wouldn't even cause DFM in the traditional sense. Also, the timeframe scale of fallout was off-kilter; if you had nukes early it was possible to have 100's of years fallout which is longer than any nuke's effect in history.

3. Player-controlled outcome: FAILED. In any reasonable game that made it to modern era, DFM happened consistently, regardless of nukes, every civ in the game running environmentalism (which actually opened the door to making DFM worse because health didn't benefit anti DFM while :yuck: increased the odds). Essentially, any reasonably high level game that made it late saw DFM without exception. What's the point of a mechanic that always happens and is always a penalty to everyone? All that does is create a universal nuisance. If you're going to do that, why stop there? Why not just play really loud noises and rotate the screen 90 degrees at random? Those make just as much sense.

Please don't support flawed, pathetic, ignorant design decisions whose sole purpose in the game is to annoy the player. It doesn't reflect well and it will hurt everyone if the designers get it in their head that it's a good idea.

As for nukes, right now there's no counter which SUCKS. IV did nukes pretty well; they were very strong with a tech lead or parity, but SDI made even tactical nukes reasonably cost-ineffective. Political hatred over them was higher too, which is reasonable for an uberweapon.

You are on the clock in civ V; get a big enough lead late-game where you can out-nuke everyone (or nuke pre-emptively) or avoid war entirely/get a scapegoat that's closer to absorb them. Until they add SDI that's all we've got.

I think that SDI should be in, BUT, I think there should be a reasonable period between the ability to manufacture nuclear weapons, and the ability to build SDI. That way you a period similar to the cold war where MAD is the rule of the day. Of course the AI would need to be more sane to avoid EVERY game ending in nuclear armageddon.

The desert fairy magic mechanic in civ IV was one of the stupidest features in any game

Ugh... I HATED global warming in civ IV. I don't even mind a mechanic that penalizes everyone equally, but that was horrible! I actually sorta liked civ II's global warming mechanic because it provided a real challenge in the late game. Now I will admit I was pretty young when I last played II so I may just have stunk.:lol:

Good post.

However. Atomic bombs are delivered via aircraft. With intercepts stationed in target cities & AA, you should have a chance to shoot down the bomber before the payload is delivered.

2nd thought:
You should be able to put missiles on intercept as well, to shoot down incoming planes, and possibly, nuclear missiles.

I think the main problem with nukes is that the AI doesn't require Uranium to build them. In my last game Askia was at war with me the entire game and he was right next to me. I only had three cities since I was doing a defensive game. I way way behind in tech the entire game, so when Askia built the Manhattan Project I knew I was screwed. Luckily he spared the nuking for at least 50 turns until I teched up to Atomic Theory. I saw the only source of Uranium he had was in his borders, but directly next to my borders. Luckily I had a Great Artist just sitting around so I quickly culture bombed his borders and took the Uranium.

I checked the list of city states and none of the city states had Uranium, although some of the other AI's did have Uranium, I don't think he could have built 10 atomic bombs with borrowed uranium. Anyways that's exactly what he did... 10 atomic bombs in 10 turns all to my capitol, lowered it down to two citizens from 38 and decimated the landscape. Made me lose the game just because of that.

I think the main problem with nukes is that the AI doesn't require Uranium to build them.

Doesn't this only apply to the higher difficulty levels? The devs said that besides somewhat cheaper unit production the AI doesn't get any bonuses on prince.

Good post.

However. Atomic bombs are delivered via aircraft. With intercepts stationed in target cities & AA, you should have a chance to shoot down the bomber before the payload is delivered.

2nd thought:
You should be able to put missiles on intercept as well, to shoot down incoming planes, and possibly, nuclear missiles.

That is BRILLIANT! Missiles on intercept would be great!:goodjob:

Top Bottom