Another WW2 scenario

Sure, here is the thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea...map-appears-to-be-bugged-only-for-other-users

Nothing as of yet, and I'm not gonna hold my breath on anyone providing help anytime to be honest. That support forum looks pretty underused to me, and I don't see 2kgames support being able to do much more than I have been able to on my own with the map file. Maybe they have some software that debugs civ5 map files? Doubt it, but it was still worth posting I suppose.

I was thinking that viewing/saving the map from Worldbuilder is one of the few differences between my having a working scenario and others having a CTD.

Perhaps it is worth opening the map in World Builder and saving your own version of it. From there then make sure you select the map you viewed and saved on your PC; not the map file that you downloaded.

So to do this the way I'm thinking you would follow these steps:

1. Aquire World Builder/Civ 5 SDK off Steam tools and install it
  2. Start World Builder
  3. Select Mods from the main menu and check the boxes next to the 2 wwII mods
  4. Select Load and open the ww2 map
  5. If you want to change anything feel free to mess around, but ultimately be sure to use the "save as" function and create a separate map file.
  6. Delete or move the original map file from your maps folder, so that it won't show up in game.
  7. Start civ5, enable mods like normal (they should already be), and attempt to start the scenario using the map version you created

Again, this is just something I have pin pointed to be a difference between our situations with the scenario. Perhaps when you save the map locally on world builder with the mod enabled, it fixes whatever ID conflict is causing the CTD error.

I have worldbuilder, but i dont have all the DLC civs, so I dont think opening the map in worldbuilder and saving it will work well. But hell its worth a shot

Maybe it's the DLC civs that are causing the problem then. Changing them out for custom ones might be something to try. Considering the work of creating this mod, adding a few civs and changing the dlc civ references to the new ones is a minor task.

I had succes by open the map (the original one who came with the scenario), open it in world builder, deleted a few units (because I deletet the part with 2 units/plot and the max hit & co) and saved it in the Maps-folder. Then it worked, but my pc hanged up making AI's turns betwen round 2/3...
Don't know why it crashed, just stoped when England made Airstrikes...
Befor that, I played it on a WWII scenario, made for vanilla-setup (with no changes to your mod), there it crashed too.
I have whole DLC-pack, PC isn't the best, so don't know what was the reason for the hang up...

At least it loads then. Did it crash to desktop, or did it just appear to hang up? Because, I had the hang ups in between turns too.
For me the game would appear to stop where the only thing I could do was move the mouse cursor around the screen (the cursor globe kept spinning). It lasts anywhere from several seconds up to 3 minutes or so, and then a slew of ai actions takes place on the screen. That would happen multiple times throughout the AI players' turn, so in all the turn waits were ranging as high as 10 minutes sometimes.
Anyways, I have removed the DLC requirement and posted a revised version to support the civilization changes, plus I included a few still frame images for diplomacy. This is mainly to test if the mod works, as the map still needs to be repopulated with units.

please can u help - i followed the instructions regarding the running of the mod but when i click on start scenario i get the followin message and everything crashes 'Assertion failed'

At least it loads then. Did it crash to desktop, or did it just appear to hang up? Because, I had the hang ups in between turns too.
For me the game would appear to stop where the only thing I could do was move the mouse cursor around the screen (the cursor globe kept spinning). It lasts anywhere from several seconds up to 3 minutes or so, and then a slew of ai actions takes place on the screen. That would happen multiple times throughout the AI players' turn, so in all the turn waits were ranging as high as 10 minutes sometimes.
Anyways, I have removed the DLC requirement and posted a revised version to support the civilization changes, plus I included a few still frame images for diplomacy. This is mainly to test if the mod works, as the map still needs to be repopulated with units.

Oh, OK.yeah, the british fighter stopped in the air, sound stopped, and the cursor was a moving globe all the time... but waited only 2 minutes or so, then opend the task-manger. by opening the task-manager, there was the masage that CIV doesn't answer and I closed it how recomended.

please can u help - i followed the instructions regarding the running of the mod but when i click on start scenario i get the followin message and everything crashes 'Assertion failed'

Check this:
-open the worldbuilder (SDK tool)
-load the map from the maps-folder in mod-direction (in part 1 or 2, just look)
-go to the toolbar and edit the scenario-info (rename the map, so you can see the differens, and don't have to maps with same name when you want to start the game)
-save it in the maps-folder from Civ5 (not in the mod)
-start game, should work now

Check this:
-open the worldbuilder (SDK tool)
-load the map from the maps-folder in mod-direction (in part 1 or 2, just look)
-go to the toolbar and edit the scenario-info (rename the map, so you can see the differens, and don't have to maps with same name when you want to start the game)
-save it in the maps-folder from Civ5 (not in the mod)
-start game, should work now

Looks like this part about viewing/saving the map needs to be added after install instructions then.
As far as the "not responding" task manager shows, I think that is normal. It's just slow going. As long as you don't get a separate message popping up saying "civ 5 stopping responding and must be closed" w/a "close program" button or something along those lines.
I even had the screen go black for a while on be while the AI was working. Again I just waited it out (a minute or so) and then the screen came back and a lot of actions took place.

Well it works with worldbuilder, and wow is it crazy, the amout of WW2 units is overwhelming, almost as overwhelming as the amount of units on the map! I can't wait to kill some serious amounts of troops to speed this up.

But yeah, great mod!

Glad it's finally working :D. I posted how to get around the loading error and attached the updated map at the bottom of the OP. The full mod with the new map included is being uploaded right now as well. Nothing in the mod itself has been changed since yesterday, so that's why I attached the map.

Alright that's cool, I used the old DLC civ map so I could have a map loaded with units. The DLC civs were alright and the units were kept through worldbuilder, which I was expecting them to go away.

But yeah thanks for the mod! You can tell you put a lot of time into it.

GREAT WORK!
But in the map, brasil and spain were changed... (The map wich was download-able a few posts above)
After first rounds of playing I am thinking that there is a problem at AI building units, haven't seen tanks or plaines of newer modells, so I guess that the AI doesn't build them. (p.e: ones intercepted all the english aircrafts, I've never ever seen new plains atacking me) I know, it was a problem at CIV5 all the time, flavors are set for all the units I've seen, and map has anough ressources so far.
But I've played no so long so far, but I'll focus on that and give you a repord.
So, I'm out, have to play that fantastic mod :drool:

Hi. Im having trouble getting this mod to show up in my mod list. After I put the 2 mod files into the mods folder and start civ5 I install it however, it crashes during the install of the mod for some reason? Know any solutions?

Update: I have the R.E.D. mod activated. Anyway, I deleted my cache and edited the config file and now it work fine.

GREAT WORK!
But in the map, brasil and spain were changed... (The map wich was download-able a few posts above)
After first rounds of playing I am thinking that there is a problem at AI building units, haven't seen tanks or plaines of newer modells, so I guess that the AI doesn't build them. (p.e: ones intercepted all the english aircrafts, I've never ever seen new plains atacking me) I know, it was a problem at CIV5 all the time, flavors are set for all the units I've seen, and map has anough ressources so far.
But I've played no so long so far, but I'll focus on that and give you a repord.
So, I'm out, have to play that fantastic mod

Glad you like it. The Brasil, Spain, and Australian civs were all swapped out for custom civs because they used DLC (inca, spain, polynesia) that some don't want to have to bother purchasing, plus I mistakenly suspected the DLC requirement may have been causing the crash at one point.

I have tried to combat that AI issue already, and it looks like it still makes poor choices on what to build (if slightly better than vanilla I hope). Fixing the AI flavors/priorities is ongoing, so anything you can tell me about what you observe it doing will help.

Hi. Im having trouble getting this mod to show up in my mod list. After I put the 2 mod files into the mods folder and start civ5 I install it however, it crashes during the install of the mod for some reason? Know any solutions?

Update: I have the R.E.D. mod activated. Anyway, I deleted my cache and edited the config file and now it work fine.

Yep, that would explain the crash. The two mods are very large and change a lot of the same stuff.

Thanks for the information. I've started updating the flavors, and it looks like it will take some time to get them right. It's like finding the "sweet spot" for the AI. I have noticed it still builds some aircraft units in the early game at least. Tanks and especially naval ships are lacking from what I can tell though. I've yet to get very far into a game, because of the long turn waits of course.

I also think submarines are OP in terms of how difficult they are for destroyers/cruisers to sink, so I've decreased their combat strength some. To compensate I gave them a 50% bonus vs land domain. With those changes they should be easier to sink for surface ships, but tough to sink from land, and be devastating when attacking embarked units.

Yes, England is still building a few plains, has to be with the flavors-definition of the civs. Played to Round 44 now, p.e. japan (conquered the chineese cost, korea and the phillipines) has 41 iron, 12 oil and 19 alumineum to trade. So should be that they are not really building tanks and warships (left so much iron) and no high-class plains (alumineum). Hope that info helps you...
Also seen in round 44: Russia didn't make war all the time. might be cool to raise the flavors of the strategic ressources, that would AI start easy war angainst small countries to get there ressources.

Hope I could help. This could be one of the greatest mods ever for a CIV game.

LIKE IT!
Only negative for me: why did you change the hitspoints so flat? I personal removed the new hitpoints-rules and the 2 units per plot.

Yes, England is still building a few plains, has to be with the flavors-definition of the civs. Played to Round 44 now, p.e. japan (conquered the chineese cost, korea and the phillipines) has 41 iron, 12 oil and 19 alumineum to trade. So should be that they are not really building tanks and warships (left so much iron) and no high-class plains (alumineum). Hope that info helps you...
Also seen in round 44: Russia didn't make war all the time. might be cool to raise the flavors of the strategic ressources, that would AI start easy war angainst small countries to get there ressources.

Hope I could help. This could be one of the greatest mods ever for a CIV game.

LIKE IT!
Only negative for me: why did you change the hitspoints so flat? I personal removed the new hitpoints-rules and the 2 units per plot.

Good idea about changing strat. resource flavors, as I had not thought about it. Very helpful information again :goodjob:

You don't like the HP increase, or 2 units/tile? I'm somewhat surprised on that, so let me explain why I went those routes.

On the HP increase the idea is that it makes the large difference in combat ability that exists among all the units more of a factor than if they were still only 10HP/unit.

For example:
Take a Yamato capital ship vs 2 cleveland class cruisers with 2 gleaves class destroyers. That's arguably the most powerful unit in the game @ 2 iron/2 oil & 750 production cost to build with 140 combat/115 ranged attack with level 7 hull armor/level 7 guns vs 4 lesser ships (that are still useful in different ways from the Yamato's brute force).
Assuming no ship retreats, At 10 HP the yamato will sink each ship in 1 hit, so it needs 4 turns to win. But, it can lose the battle in the case that it does not get first attack. It takes 4 hits the first round, so it is down to 6HP. 3 hits the next=> 3HP. 2 hits the next=>1HP. And finally sunk on round 4, while 1 US ship (presumably a Gleaves destroyer) sails away victoriously. This is assuming the US ships don't score any lucky hits (2 damage in 1 hit), plus the Yamato doesn't get unlucky against the cruisers (<10 damage in 1 hit) too.

With the same scenario at 30 HP the Yamato cleans house, regardless of which side scores the opening attack. At best the US ships reduce the Yamato to around half of its health, and force the Japanese player to consider heading back to port for repairs.

The 30 HP especially helps the AI in cases like that too, because it likely is going to miss on opportunities to score hits when a human would not have. Having 30 HP instead of 10 makes it so the AI has more leeway basically.

Anyways, that is the reasoning behind 30 HP vs the vanilla 10HP. It makes building a few advanced units more beneficial than they would be otherwise, as opposed to just building tons of lesser units. I have seen people argue in favor of building junk units like scouts if they didn't go obsolete late game for vanilla civ for this very reason. A large group of scouts in vanilla can defeat a Mech w/10 HP.

2 units/tile is just to accommodate larger battles. Once again it has the extra benefit of allowing the AI more leeway too. Less organization of units is required if 2 units/tile is allowed. The 2 units/tile was something I was experimenting with and kinda liked, so I kept it in to see what others thought. I'll put you down as a "don't like" for it. If most people turn out not to like 2 units/tile it can be removed in a future version.

Top Bottom