Stupid AI behaviour

MarshalN

Prince

Things like this is why the AI is terrible - this is late game, immortal, huge, archipelago. AI Ethiopia has at least 20 archaeologists (I already killed some) and there are more than enough to dig up the rest of the sites - if they can get to it first. This is not really rational behaviour and the AI should never have spent that many hammers building these - they could've built more military (it has been in a war with the Danish and Ottomans recently) or built buildings, or even spend the hammers on science or gold.

I'm about to abandon the game because it's just a matter of time when I win, and Ethiopia is the only civ that is sort of remotely competitive. It's just silly when you see things like this.

Any other stupid AI things you see (aside from the usual idiotic "embark near enemy city" and that kind of thing)?

So stupid... lol its a shame the AI sometimes can't get the right priorities.

In my last game, I've seen Egypt spamming great musicians. It must have been buying them with faith in the end, as it sent about 10 to do concert tours in my land, even though it had no chance of a cultural victory - it had 10 tourism being generated in the end game. Really such a waste of faith.

I've noticed the spamming of naval units and archaeologists myself. It really shouldn't be that difficult to stop the AI from building archaeologists when there are no ruins to explore. I mean, my city advisor only recommends building archaeologists when there are available ruins around, so why doesn't the AI get that?

It could be that they built the archaeologists with intent to go dig in foreign lands, then lose open boarders. That happens a lot to me.

Also, :lol:, since when is stupid AI behavior news?

I've noticed the spamming of naval units and archaeologists myself. It really shouldn't be that difficult to stop the AI from building archaeologists when there are no ruins to explore. I mean, my city advisor only recommends building archaeologists when there are available ruins around, so why doesn't the AI get that?

I was rather surprised at how many the AI built. It's one thing if the AI has a few lying around, but there were literally about 20 of them (some are under fog of war, others dead). There were only about 20 antiquity sites left. It couldn't possibly have gotten all of them especially since some are half a world away.

Moreover, they don't seem to be actually going to the sites - they are just shuffling around home turf even before I DOWed.

Maps play an important role in AI behaviour; granted, we all want an AI that is adaptable, learns from its mistakes, etcetcetc. Are we willing to pay for such a thing? Are we willing to wait 6 minutes in between turns? No.

Thus, the option to that is to play under the conditions that were used to "teach" the AI how to play. Sorry man, but your map is far away from those balanced conditions.

Maps play an important role in AI behaviour; granted, we all want an AI that is adaptable, learns from its mistakes, etcetcetc. Are we willing to pay for such a thing? Are we willing to wait 6 minutes in between turns? No.

Thus, the option to that is to play under the conditions that were used to "teach" the AI how to play. Sorry man, but your map is far away from those balanced conditions.

Well, I didn't actually doctor the settings, it was randomized.

Huge did probably play a factor, but since archipelago is one of the basic options, the AI should be able to handle that. The fact that it built so many archaeologists that there aren't enough sites for them means that something is wacky - and that is something that should be easily fixable (i.e. don't build more archaeologists if there are already X out there with Y sites left).

I agree,

They have knowledge of the number and location of the dig sites, they should have some function of the number of digsites remaining, distances of digsites away from them, number or archaeologists they have already and which other players' territory the remaining sites are in, to give a priority to building the archaeologist compared to everything else.

Another stupid thing of the AI is, and it usually happens with City-States, that when under attack if the AI doesnt have room for land movement instead of just stay put and defend land units goes on the sea and get slaughtered by naval units. The AI still stuggle with transports that's for sure.

Archipelago maps are kind if crap way to guage the AI though.

But yes, they do tend to overbuild archaeologists, but usually its because they lose out on a dig opportunity and they don't disband and those archaeologists gets trapped.

In my more recent Pangea game, the Siam AI had 2-4 extra archaeologists running around in their core with no open digs. Nothing too weird, but I did note that they had them. I captured them and used them for my own benefit as there were a few sites off on islands I could dig on.

Top Bottom