Liberating Venice's puppets...

uncle bulgaria

Chieftain
...does this attract the large warmonger penalty or do you get the credit for liberating a puppet?

I'm in a game with Venice (he loves me at the moment) but he's puppeted most of the nearby CS, one being Cape Town with a juicy 8 Al in it's border that I want as I only have 7 and as Babylon I was heading for a science win so I need 6 for the spaceship. Would liberating 2 of his puppeted CSs, and nabbing Cape Town for myself result in a horrendous penalty?

Rome is a beast on another continent and seems to be swimming in gold, normally liberaing a puppeted CS results in pretty much permanent "ally" status which would be very handy. Rome has stated denouncing me and has a massive army, my start was terrible, hardly any duplicate luxes for trade so I couldn't afford much of an army until I now have loads of sea based trade routes so I'm playing catch up there.

You can't liberate them, since they weren't conquered. Just like you can't liberate Austria's city states. They belong to Venice now and if you conquer them it's the same as if you conquered one of Rome's cities - you'll need to puppet or anex them.

Or raze them. Once Venice acquires a CS with a MoV, they lose their "CS cannot be razed" flag.

Heh, deliberately skipped razing cause I wasn't sure on the mechanics of it. But makes sense, since they're not occupied CS and can't be liberated that they behave just like any normal non-capitol city. :goodjob:

If Venice conquers a city state though, that's different. You can liberate those and you can't raze them.

Next time I play as greece I have to remind myself to make wiping Venice off the planet my #1 priority. :rant:

Top Bottom