RandNES 1: Dawn of a World

Decided to try to do a NES. Mind if I join next turn?

Sure, that's fine.

Is there a way to take a certain layer/color from one Paint file and paste it onto another? I want to copy the rivers onto the political map, but I'm too lazy to manually try to get it perfectly right.

Is there a way to take a certain layer/color from one Paint file and paste it onto another? I want to copy the rivers onto the political map, but I'm too lazy to manually try to get it perfectly right.
I dont believe its possible in paint. You may have to either manually do it, or get someone else to do it. I would if I wasnt going snowboarding for the next two days.

I'm roughly 1/3 of the way done. I'll certainly be able to finish it today or tomorrow.

Here it goes...

-Name/Player: Svealand/Pole475
-Starting Location and Color (show on map):
Spoiler :

I believe there is a river on it.

-Government: Tribalism
-Unique Power: Power of the Kraken; The Sveans can build faster and stronger ship than their rivals.
-Cities: Estralskea
-Size: Small
-EP produced per turn: 10 (for the capital)
-Maintenance: 0
-Unique Features: Palace (+5 EP per turn)

-EP per turn: 10
-Stored EP: 0
-EP Spending: Wait for next tun ;)
-Army Size: 5
-Description: The Sveas were uncivilized until Gothar the Great conquered all the tribes in Svealand making his tribe, Estralskea, the capital. Estralskea is located with mountains to the north, forests to the south and west and straddles the River Vasborg. Since then the Sveans have settled down to live a more peaceful life under Gothar's son, Haraald. Haraald currently leads Svealand with an iron fist (even though were still in the stone age) and the opposition are plotting a revolution lead by Jeppe the Peaceful (who also isn't very peaceful).

Apologies if this is a bit selfish, but assuming hypothetically it isn't done in about 12 hours could you give me an update then? That's approximately when I'll get up tomorrow and assuming it isn't almost done I'll be wanting to know when it is.

Update 1
Stone Age
Unknown Year

Map:
Spoiler :

Notes from the Mod: This is my first update, so I might have missed a few things, but overall, please give lots of feedback on whatever you feel should be noted related to this NES, though please keep it constructive and bear in mind that I’m still learning how to mod (I DM’ed Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 for several years and ran a few games similar to NESes at school), so I will certainly make mistakes. A few general things:

-I got 9 orders out of the 11 players for this update (I did not get Bair’s or talon’s orders), so I think that is pretty good. My policy for missed orders is if it is just once, make it up in the next set of orders (they would get 20 EP), but if you miss 2 orders in a row or you abuse my missed orders policy, you will be temporarily NPC’ed until you submit orders and will not be able to make up those orders.

-This Update is a bit bland, as there are no pressing concerns or anything of the like. Before you complain about that, this is the first update of the Stone Age, so this isn’t going to be groundbreaking. Once we advance a little and people start to branch out in their decisions, things will get a little bit more interesting.

-While it may look like there are few stats and it is mostly storytelling, I am keeping track of many things like population growth, culture, and wonder-building through hidden stats only known to me. I am doing this to rid this NES of statistical baggage, at least early on when it isn’t really necessary and I feel that it will only hurt the integrity of the story.

-What I meant earlier is that there are no specific costs for anything in terms of EP, with the exception of founding a new city, which costs 60 EP. I take into account detail and storytelling when I look over your orders just as much as spending, so that is just as important.

-What I previously stated means that include EP spending by EP spent, not percentages, in orders. Also, so I don’t have to keep checking the first page, include all of your civ details (UP, city names, and such that you filled out for the application) with your orders in the future.

Several decades have passed since the Dawn of Civilization, and civilizations have emerged all over the world. Several “cradles of civilization” have developed, with many civilizations emerging in fertile areas near rivers that are perfect for farming.

Individual Reports:

Vengra/Lord_Herobrine:
Spoiler :
Your farming projects have largely been a success, and combined with your people’s unique ability to harvest crops more efficiently, there has been significant population growth among your people. Your roads and pathways have been unremarkable, but relatively convenient for transportation, but some of your more inventive people have been looking to the Vahme River for transportation. Additionally, a very basic archive of primitive records carved onto stone tablets has been established in your capital. What will you do?
EP: 10
Stability: Stable

Aimoni/Neverwonagame3:
Spoiler :
Your armies and attempts at expansion have mostly been successful. You have expanded in the surrounding area and subjugated several peaceful villages that surrendered as soon as they saw your army. Your advanced organization has also allowed your farms to support a slightly larger officer elite than most, though your population grows a little slower as a result. However, some of your scouts have told you that there is another city nearby, one that has also taken the first few baby steps into becoming a civilization. What will you do?
Army Size: 10

Tusdar/Everblack:
Spoiler :
Your people’s work with flood plains has largely been a success. While progress is very slow, the population is growing steadily because of your projects, and with more spending and efforts, the flood plains will be perfect for farming. Also, your religion is starting to develop as a major part of your culture, and it is starting to spread to nearby areas. Lastly, an army of warriors has been successfully trained. What will you do?
Army Size: 8

Ura’qui/Silverman6083:
Spoiler :
Your attempts at building primitive canals for fishing have been a moderate success, as your people’s ability to build canals has greatly helped. This, combined with your fishing expeditions, has caused considerable population growth. Lastly, your shrine to the Oceanic Gods has drawn people in from far and wide, and in turn this causes nearby tribes to begin worshipping them. What will you do?

Bhalibirs/Immaculate:
Spoiler :
Your people’s maritime prowess and focus on fishing and collecting salt has resulted in considerable population growth, as well as a fleet of ships that can be used for exploration or even combat in the distant future. Your salt-collecting and pottery have also sparked trade interests amongst nearby minor villages. What will you do?

Eshika/thomas.berubeg:
Spoiler :
Your people have successfully learned basic fermentation processes, and your discovery of beer has not only caused your people to become much happier (though occasionally unproductive ), your attempts at trading with nearby villages have been greatly successful, spurring on diplomatic opportunities and increases in communications and trading interests in the area. What will you do?

Foeinu/bonefang:
Spoiler :
Your civilization’s work on your massive project of Foerin has begun! It has been a major source of unity amongst your people and it has greatly increased the influence of your culture around the nearby areas. However, it is only roughly ¼ of the way done, as your people still have much work to do. Your hunting incentives have encouraged your hunters to bring in more food than they normally would, and your population has increased somewhat. Lastly, the Hall of Elders has been built, though a permanent function has yet to be utilized (OOC: basically, I don’t know what it’s supposed to do). What will you do?

Hadun/Amesjay:
Spoiler :
Your building projects have been successful, in no small part due to your people’s talent as builders. Your lumberyard has been useful in acquiring new building materials, in turn allowing your granary to be finished in record time, and your mine has hit a vein of tin. Your shrine has also started to attract a few followers of Ardun outside of the Hadun. What will you do?

Elrich/Seon:
Spoiler :
Your people’s efforts in farming and fishing have been rewarded by considerable population growth. Your stone carvings have also been a source of cultural inspiration to nearby villages, inspiring them to consider trading with you. What will you do?

Svealand/pole475
Spoiler :
After the unification of the tribes of Svealand under Gothar the Great and their current rule under Haraald the Stone-Fisted (see what I did there?), your people stand at a crossroads. What will you do?
EP: 15 (you start out with a lot of territory and a slightly higher level of centralization, so that’s why you only get 15 EP)

ORDERS DUE SATURDAY, JANUARY 25, 2014, AT NOON EST!!!

Love the update so far, will make a post about the basic beliefs soon.
Just one thing, I wanted my people to be called the Hadun (perhaps just a typo or something) as opposed to the Hamun.
Otherwise, great job! :)

I am on a Temperate River as requested, right? Because my map posistion suggests otherwise.

Where is equator?

A chance meeting
Spoiler :
Today was a great day for Tulun Sepda. As a young boy of the Hadun, his father had recently allowed him to visit him in the new mines. His father had left bright and early for the mines, though he had told Tulun that he should arrive around midday when the sun was at its highest. Tulun however, was determined to arrive a bit earlier to demonstrate that he too, had the determination to be a builder of Hadun. As he hurried towards the mine, he spotted the shrine of Ardun out of the corner of his eye. His father had told him about Ardun and he decided that he should definitely thank Ardun for today, so he approached the shrine, knelt and began to pray.

“Blessed be to Ardun, the Great Spirit of the Earth. He provides this land, the trees, the animals and the stone all for us to use, yet he asks for nothing in return. Thanks be to ... “

“Excuse me,” interrupted a robed stranger, who was much too slim to be a man of Hadun. “Who is this Ardun?”

Tulun was slightly taken aback, but he was happy to explain to the stranger.
“Ardun is the Great Spirit of the Earth. He created all the land, he shaped the mountains, carved the valleys, dug the caves and caverns. He raised the animals and planted the forests, all for our use, though he asks for nothing in return.”

“Wait. Ardun created all this but asks for nothing?” asked the stranger.

“Of course not, he cares for us. Though, my father and the other builders of Hadun have decided that they will dedicate their lives to building magnificent structures to thank Ardun for his kindness and protection.” Replied Tulun, as he stiffened and puffed out his chest with pride. “As will I, when I’m older.”

The stranger nodded slowly, as if pondering the words of the young child.
“Ardun truly does sound like he is worthy of prayer. Thank you, you have given me a lot to think about.” The stranger turned and began slowly walking away from the shrine and away from the city of Halturias.

I'm going to assume I'm on a Temperate River, and go ahead from that. I trust the problems related to my starting location will be cleared up shortly.

I'm still not clear if my neighbour is a PC or an NPC, but I'm going to assume NPC as it seems likely. If it's PC, I'll change these around.

--------------------

Aimoni: Orders

Name: Aimoni/Neverwonagame3
Location and colour: Any Temperate River, Green
Government: Despotism
Unique Power: Meritocratic. Officers of the state, whether military or civil commanders, slightly better than they would be otherwise.
Cities: Aimon
(NOTE: For future names, anything that's a word in Old Germaniac works. Yes I know this is a lame way of doing things, but at least it has some liguistic unity)

EP per turn: 10
Stored EP: 0
EP spending:
Army size: 10 units

Description: The Aimoni are an unusual tribe in their system of legitimacy- victory is considered proof of being in the right in the conflict, as it proves endorsement from Heaven. This has pros and cons- hierarchies tend to be meritocratic as internal struggles for power help to ensure only the best suceed, but the society is always close to civil war...

---------------------------------------------------------

-4 EP on using our superior officers to start creating the first primitive supply system. Using some of our agricultural surplus on supplying the men in warfare is bound to stunt growth somewhat, but will also make warfare easier.

-4 EP on developing a primitive system of writing. This will probably have to be cuniform (i.e.- no letters of the alphabet, which means an entirely new symbol has to be made for a new concept and also makes writing less efficient), but that's good enough for starters and I can improve on it later.

-2 EP on the creation of primitive books of military theory, i.e. our universe's equivalent of "The Art of War", except with emphasis not on the commander-in-chief but the officer. Particularly considering our primitive writing system, it will be impossible for these books to contain everything. However, if written by skilled officers then those training to become officers but not yet officers can learn it from youth and gain an advantage before they even start on the battlefield.

-A new policy will be introduced for conquering lands, known as Rainarding. Rainnarding will consist of a distribution of the newly conquered lands amongst our soldiers. The soldier is obliged to stay in the army until they are too old, but state administrators can look after the land for them (or they can make some other arrangement- it's their choice). For every new conquest, all soldiers who participated in the campaign will get a piece of land, and the guarentee that the state will help them look after their new profits. This will be determined partially by rank, partially by deeds. Soldiers can, of course, have land in more than one area and send viceroys, or rely on the State, to administer it for them and deliver the profits. This is to encourage soldiers to feel like they have a stake in the Empire, and aid recruitment that way.

-The balance of this is that although the soldiers are nobility, they are under the State. They will be able to extract profits and will have legal rights over the conquered (more specifically, the conquered will become literal slaves of the conquerors), but will still have to obey the law.

-AFTER the war with the enemy, a new policy will be introduced known as Sucession by Mock War. Any candidate with enough influence to secure for themselves 100 supporters, free or slave will travel to the capital. Outside the city gates, these warriors will fight and officers, in minature, wars against each other. They will form alliances, use formations, and fight with real weapons to the death. The victorious candidate will be the new King.

War Plan:
The rival civilisation cannot be allowed to grow in strength, so the King will march on it in full force. We have both superior quantity and superior quality. Our primitive supply system is very unlikely to give us all the food we need, so we will compensate by looting and pillaging for food.

If it comes to all-out battle, we will use our formation strategies for the first time. With those plus superior officer quality, victory should be likely.

If it comes to an attack on the city, our tactics vary:
-If they have stone walls, we will launch a conventional siege assault with pre-built ladders (we build ladders before invading if our scouts report stone walls). If stone walls take us by surprise, we will try to attack with ladders and archery.
-The exception to this is if we could in theory exploit the river and boats in order to get around their walls (highly likely) in which case we do. Our scouts will tell us this, so we take it into account,
-If the enemy buildings are flammable, we use fire to get rid of them.
-If not, then once into the city our strategy is to launch a diversionary attack led by our monarch and his best men that aims either for the enemy King, or a target of great cultural/emotional significance if we know of any.
-Our real target, however, is to send the bulk of our forces to take the Granary. Our enemy must have stored up food, and once we have it the enemy has no choice but to surrender even if our King is dead.

Whatever the case, the existence of a rival civilisation means we will not back down. We throw EVERYTHING into this.

------------------------------------------------------

King Rainnard
King Rainnard had a different name early in his life, but changed it to Rainnard when he became ruler. This is because Rainnard in Aimoni means "The Great", and Rainnard had from his youth an ego to make himself believe he was clearly worthy. Although weak physically, he had been raised with the army and had already gained a reputation for skill at military administration. Since the Aimoni armies were larger than everybody else's, this was an important skill.

King Rainnard was convinced that the Aimoni were the greatest people on the Earth. This was because the size of their armies and the extent of their might exceeded all enemies. All Aimoni believed that victory came from Heaven- and since Heaven would not change its mind, it followed that the trend of victory after victory would continue. Simplicistic reasoning, but Rainnard came from an age before philosophy.

Upon entering into office, Rainnard would begin reforming the state left and right. Naysayers worried in their hearts that he was abandoning the traditions that had brought the Aimoni to their present heights, but as per Aimoni tradition Rainnard would kill any who objected to his policies publically without his permission. To silence such voices, Rainnard "pleaded the Mandate", asking that any who doubt him wait until it was determined if his policies brought victory or defeat.

These reforms would found the core of "Rainnard Aimoni" as a phase of Aimoni history. Though Hughard was the one who both perfected the primitive writing system and suggested it be applied to books of military theory, Rainnard both insisted experienced officers learn to write their experiences of war as best they could and wrote many books himself in old age. Rainnard created Rainnarding, invented many new formations, and popularised the study of books of military theory for officers within ten years.

By this time, Rainnard had fought a great war against a nearby city state, but was sixty-five years of age and without heir. By Aimoni tradition, this would mean a civil war. Fearing a civil war would destroy his legacy and harm the people, Rainnard proposed one last reform- that instead each candidate take one hundred men and fight the war in minature. In his last remaining years, Rainnard arranged this contest and promised to abdicate to whichever candidate was victorious.

After the first "Mock War" (it did involve masses of people fighting to the death) was over, there was a dispute. One candidate had been defeated and fled the field, but argued his opponent had cheated as he had broken his sworn oath of alliance. Rainnard was on his death bed, and his last words resolved the dispute. "There is no honour in war. If you are beaten, you die."

That resolved the dispute fairly clearly, and the complainer in this case was executed.

EDIT: Changed a few commands

-Name/Player: Svealand/Pole475
-Government: Tribalism
-Unique Power: Power of the Kraken; The Sveans can build faster and stronger ship than their rivals.
-Cities: Estralskea
-Size: Small
-EP produced per turn: 10
-Maintenance: 0
-Unique Features: Palace (+5 EP per turn)
-EP per turn: 10
-Stored EP: 0
-EP Spending: 15
-Army Size: 5

-4 EP: Building specialized war ships called Dhimis to pillage the land around us and then pillaging the land around us. If the present military has enough power to conquer these lands, conquer the countryside in the surrounding areas not under rule of Haraald the Stone-Fisted :p

-3 EP: Find and mine the sparkling metal located in the mountains to the north. There are rumors of copper in the Nordbjerge Mountains

-2 EP: Figuring out a way to capture the salmon that runs through the River Vasborg. People have tried throwing objects at them and catching them with their hands to no avail

-1 EP: Create trading posts on the River Vasborg to export raw materials to and from the Nyhavn Forest and the Nordbjerge Mts.

-1 EP: Collecting wood from the Nyhavn Forest to the south to use for building. Recently Olaf the Wise was recognized by Haraald the Stone-Fisted as being a great thinker of his time after coming up with the idea of building with wood

-3 EP: Attempt to domesticate the wild horses found on the island of Aalvord. When pillaging the island, Haraald found these four-legged creature with hair like human on their head.

-1 EP: Improve the training of our army and equip them with the latest spears.

-Description: The people of Svealand all view pillaging as an honourable job and are willing to carry it out on any request from the leader. Sveans enjoy plundering the loot found in these villages and tribes. These pillsging runs make the Sveans very rich in food and tools and other loot. Haraald the Stone-Fisted along with his adviser Gustav Yanery, call into action a request for all able bodied men to help them set out on a voyage to pillage surrounding land. These men are ecstatic to join and soon a party of 45 men sets out to plunder and loot… (To be continued…)

-Government Meeting: Haraald the Stone-Fisted, Gustav Yanery, Sven, Olaf, and Jeppe the Peaceful all met at the tribe meetinghouse to discuss the rule over Svealand. All agreed that the tribal government was not going to work and that they had to change the government in correspondence of a change of time. Haraald threw out the best idea in the meeting, "Our society shall suffer from tribalism no longer! Our society shall revolve around honour and the honour of pillaging and plundering!" The others agreed on that idea and Pilagism was born. The one question Haraald pondered was... "How will the civilians react to the proposed government change? I suppose they will accept it as pillaging is such an important idea to our society. Well, we'll just have to find out and see."

BTW, as well as the answer to whether I'm on a temperate river or not and next to an NPC or a PC, I'd like to know if the government's institutions can be improved without spending E.P. Either I or pole475 have a problem, depending on which it is. Either part of my orders are invalid, or he's wasting money.

EDIT: Finally, my army probably is a bit larger than 5 right?

I just thought you had to spend time thinking of ideas to change your government and use EP to actually come up with an idea for changing it, I could be wrong though.

BTW, as well as the answer to whether I'm on a temperate river or not and next to an NPC or a PC, I'd like to know if the government's institutions can be improved without spending E.P. Either I or pole475 have a problem, depending on which it is. Either part of my orders are invalid, or he's wasting money.

EDIT: Finally, my army probably is a bit larger than 5 right?

You're on a temperate river, I'm just too lazy to try to add it on the political map. Your neighbor is an NPC, and pole475 started with 15 EP. I completely forgot about the a army size statistic. I will edit it in to the update.

Noted. Final question- are larger armies likely to be slower, other factors being equal?

And for the original question, can you improve govt. institutions without spending EP?

Top Bottom