AI is not attacking Armies

Jon-Mikko

Chieftain
Please make so the AI attacks armies. I have never seen the AI attack any of my Knight / Cavalry Armies, even though they have cavarly themselves. I can just wander around freely in their lands and pillage EVERYTHING over and over again without them doing squat **** about it. It's

MAJORLY

abusable and should be fixed with the next patch. In my opinion the AI should focus to kill Armies before regular units, since Armies are so super good. Taking out armies should be their no.1 priority.

The AI will only attack armies if there are weakened,...that's the way they made the game, the AI only attacks the weakest target, and usually only targets that are not a lot stronger than the attacking unit. If the AI was able to use artillery..... but hey, let hope for CIV4...

yeah ive noticed that as well, even if you load offensive units or units with low defense into an army, the computer still won't attack it. They should definitely fix this with a patch or even civ4 as aeldrik said.

i recently had the AI hit my army of musketmen a few times with a trebuchet, but nothing constant enough to be a concern. armies seem to be the first defenders when in stack even if the units stacked with it have better individual toughness. i had an army of mounted warriors, stacked with spearmen, destroyed. and i also witnessed my army of cavalry take a huge beating from AI bombers despite being stacked in a city with infantry and musketman. i've also seen the AI mistakenly ignore them as i pillage every square in its territory. i like using armies, and in my current game i have four in the field, i'll try to observe AI reaction more.

The only thing an Army has really to fear are Cruise Missiles - those don't target the weakest, but the most expensive enemy unit (same is true for Artillery in cities)...and once an MI Army is yellowlined, the AI does attack it with regular units as well. But true, before the Modern Era Armies are absolutely safe.

@Seventh try: Armies are not automatically the defending units, thats just pure math:
Defensive Strength = Hit Points x Defence

So a MW Army has 12 x 1 = 12, vs a vet spear 4 x 2 = 8

That's not specific to armies, an Elite Pike (5 x 3 = 15) will defend before a Conscript Rifle ( 2 x 6 = 12) as well.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
The only thing an Army has really to fear are Cruise Missiles ...

It may depend on play stile, but bombers can be very dangerous as well if the AI has enough and your air defense is not strong enough - I loose armies in continued air bombardment more than one time.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Really? While they bomb my Armies in cities like mad (seems to be a prime target, even if the city itself isn't at the frontline), I never had an Army in the open attacked by Bombers.

I've had the AI bomb an army on a WW1 scenario although I think it was once I entered his territory and I don't think I had any other visible units in the open.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Really? While they bomb my Armies in cities like mad (seems to be a prime target, even if the city itself isn't at the frontline), I never had an Army in the open attacked by Bombers.

Yes, armies in cities are the top target for bombers.But if there is no army in a city, but in the open...you better have some Flak ;) The AI bombers generally prefer now to bomb units instead of ressources (like they do in vanilla civ and PTW).

But if there is no army in a city, but in the open
That may be the reason - I hardly have my only Army pillaging (in the IA and MA), I prefer to fortify it in a border city with sufficient Artillery and Air Defense and let the AI impale 15+ Tanks and a couple of Bomber on it every turn...but once that target is available, my pillaging Armies never face Aircrafts.

Top Bottom