Development Thread

I was naughty and slipped in a couple new features. :mischief:

1. Civ4lerts checks for civs that will sign DP and PA. Totally untested, but it's pretty much a dupe of the (also mostly untested) OB code. Yay for new untested code before release! :goodjob:

2. Clicking the GP bar's text zooms to the city.

@Alerum - Are you still available to put out a 1.0 release this weekend? If so, let us know when you start. I'll try really hard not to add anything from now until then. ;) I'm gonna go play some UrT for a break.

Ideally I'd get to at least run through new code paths before releasing to SVN to make sure they are valid Python. The thing with Python is that you could put

lhjsfhsweofsuiashfl

in the code, and if you don't hit that exact line while playing the game, you won't know it's not valid. But as soon as a user hits that line, boom. Well, the game stops running that part of the code, and that's a bad user experience.

In my "real life" as a programmer we have a rule that no code goes into the repository without a) compiling and b) being tested. Sure, bugs still make it through, but they better not be simple things that a single developer should have caught with minimal testing. And I'm not doing that minimal testing, thus the warning up front that I am consciously breaking that rule. :)

I hoped the wink indicated the tone of the question :)

Yes, python is interpreted (probably a compiler exists too, just never heard of one) so even the "compiles ok" test doesn't exist - and other testing has always been the duty of humans not computers (at minimum writing automated tests and framework, even if computer will handle some level of testing after that).

There are many ways to handle software development. Traditional open source method is "release early, release often" indicating minimal testing only - whatever the developer happened to do. Commonly that's been: compile, try some stuff you usually do or features you just now added, then release to the wild. This is quite contrary to traditional closed source development, although current state of closed source development seems to have left some ideals behind in favour of marketing interests.

Sorry, been celebrating the Raiders finally winning a game. I'm posting the 1.0 right now. Putting out Bug, but not Fbug. @rev 359.

Edit: Strike that, @rev 360... fixed the Yellow ! in Hints & Tips.

Alright, the zip file is completely up on SourceForge, but not going to announce until we get the regen bug figured out. Also didn't have the .exe up there yet. If someone wants to post it, let me know and I'll send it to them.

Thought of a new name for FBUG.... pretty simple, but should be fairly apt after we get some more done with it. Diversity.

There was something else, but I had a long night and my head is still half dead.

for the next release I really think I should set the .exe file to clear all files... I bet some people's CA directories are getting pretty full... just take a look at your doc folder sometime if you don't believe me.;)

About Autolog

Is it possible to have the html formatted log with different lines instead of a unique flow without interruption?
I think it's enough to put in <p> for the turns and <br> for the lines of the same turn...

Another thing that should be done soon or later (of course if it is possible) is to externalize to a xml file the text lines of the BUG option screen, so that it can be translated for localized versions.

Another thing that should be done soon or later (of course if it is possible) is to externalize to a xml file the text lines of the BUG option screen, so that it can be translated for localized versions.

Darn, I was hoping you'd forget about that. :mischief:

On an unrelated note, I put the Unit Naming format codes into the hover text for the options screen. I couldn't fit the number formats (alpha, silent, roman, etc), so I just listed the letters and referenced the readme.

I also renamed the tab to "Unit Naming" instead of "UnitNames". Is that cool with you Ruff? I wasn't sure if the mod had a "real name" like UnitRenamer or something. If it does, we should put it in the text for the enabling checkbox. This would match the "Clock" tab that has the checkbox "Enable NJAGC".

cool with me. And no, this mod doesn't have a name ... custom build for BUG

Planning on putting 1.1 out tomorrow afternoon. Is there any chance of getting the Credits page created, if I make a list of the mods included?

Going to try and do an F&R in the docs to replace all refrences to FBUG to BAT.

do we have a thread for 'outstanding items'? I keep on forgetting to put some of impalerwg's screen stuff in

I've been using a combination of SF.net and a text file. I try to have feature requests in SF.net. I started using their Tracker for bugs, but it kinda sux, so I went with the text file for bugs. Definitely not ideal because it cannot be shared.

Here's my current file:

* = bug
+ = feature
- = to remove

Code:
* Fix CDA readme

* Fix INI writing to all locations

+ Credits tab!

* UnitUpgrades don't work with new upgrade paths

+ Autolog HTML needs <br> and <p> tags

* Civ4lerts:
  * Get alerts about trades even when civ won't talk to you
  + New alerts:
    + Civ will talk to you
    + Civ will go to war
    + Civ will stop trading
    + "Too much on our hands"
    + "WFYABTA"

+ Naming
  + Each time a combat-type format is used [I]for the first time[/I], pop up a dialog to preview it and allow it to be tweaked in-place
    Requires storing this info (easy) and a popup (medium)

Format: xxxx  <-- editbox
      Preview: yyyy  <-- plaintext

Accept
      Try Again

* Externalize options/tabs/labels for i18n

added 'promotion available' and 'action' graphics to units in plot list
let me have a look at Autolog HTML needs <br> and <p> tags
unit naming thingo looks interesting

Autolog HTML has BR tags. There was an error where variable to which <br> was added was zMge instead of zMsg at some point, but that might be my own mistake as well.

paragraph -tag was supposed to be added per turn, ie. for turn start line?

I've been using a combination of SF.net and a text file. I try to have feature requests in SF.net. I started using their Tracker for bugs, but it kinda sux, so I went with the text file for bugs. Definitely not ideal because it cannot be shared.

What about GoogleDocs?

Top Bottom