Questions about The BUG Mod

I have seen it work (as you also said). I'm just saying that your experience may be spotty. One aspect to look into is that (as I have been told) ... all players must be using the same BUG options. You might want to agree on the options and then request all players use the same ones.

I have seen it work (as you also said). I'm just saying that your experience may be spotty. One aspect to look into is that (as I have been told) ... all players must be using the same BUG options. You might want to agree on the options and then request all players use the same ones.
I knew about the same options. That's why we clear UserSettings folder and everyone replace it with my own. This should ensure that everyone has the same options.

Well, just an update, I've been able to play directIP with two other players. No out of sync for almost 160 turns over 1200 with Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn. Only pitboss is still going out of sync after the first turn. There's probably something with the graphics, which pitboss can't handle (I think), or maybe with how some component of the mod, possibly BUG, is handling the "pitboss player"

Is it possible to select which features you want when installing? Some features conflict with a mod I use. I was going to merge them, but I can't find the tutorial. Clicking on the link in the respective thread just brings me to a download page.

AFAIK, there is no way to choose which components can be installed. BUG is not a very modular mod. Everything fits together and crosses many common files.

As for the tutorial, it was destroyed several years ago and never recreated.

Hi, I use BAT mod 4.1, and I'd like to add some extra music to the soundtrack to bolster the classical and modern eras. How can I do this in a way that is compatible with your mod?

Hi, I use BAT mod 4.1, and I'd like to add some extra music to the soundtrack to bolster the classical and modern eras. How can I do this in a way that is compatible with your mod?

Yes, I believe that you can do it. It requires some XML editing. Look in the Sound folder of \BAT 4.1\Assets\XML to find the files that you need to edit.

Keep in mind that the actual music files must be mp3 and they must live in the folder where all of the other music is. I think that's in BTS\Assets\someplace. You'll have to look for them.

I know that people have replaced music quite easily. You may have to make extra entries for more sound files. Try it with one. You'll know right away if it works because the mod will crash if it doesn't. The sound XML is really really fussy.

Yes, I believe that you can do it. It requires some XML editing. Look in the Sound folder of \BAT 4.1\Assets\XML to find the files that you need to edit.

Keep in mind that the actual music files must be mp3 and they must live in the folder where all of the other music is. I think that's in BTS\Assets\someplace.

Thanks for the response :goodjob:. If I make the edits to the general BtS XML, will those changes take effect while using BAT 4.1?

Totally unrelated side question: Quill18 once said in a video where he used one of your mods that it raised the AI's level of competency. Does BAT 4.1 contain alterations to the game's AI?

Thanks for the response :goodjob:. If I make the edits to the general BtS XML, will those changes take effect while using BAT 4.1?
Don't edit the general BTS XML files. If they are already included in the BAT folders, then edit those. If they aren't included in the BAT folders, then copy them from the BTS folders (or Warlords or Vanilla Civ folders - depending on the file. Some aren't in the BTS folders), then edit them in the BAT folder. You never want to directly edit your Civ master files.

When you load a mod, the game reads first from the mod's folders to find any info that it needs. If it can't find the information that it needs to load, then it looks in the BTS folders, then Warlords, and then Vanilla Civ, until it finds what it needs. So as long as you put your changed files in the BAT folder, the game will read them before the regular BTS files, and it will ignore the regular BTS files as a result.

Also, get a good editing program like Notepad++. It's free and it's wonderful. You can get it here:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Totally unrelated side question: Quill18 once said in a video where he used one of your mods that it raised the AI's level of competency. Does BAT 4.1 contain alterations to the game's AI?
BAT 4.1 does not change the AI at all. It subscribes to the BUG Mod mantra of not changing gameplay. However, BAT's sister mod, Better BAT AI, does improve the AI and still gives you all the goodness of BAT with an improved and smarter AI.

If you'd like to try it, the download link is in my sig. Enjoy! :)

Don't edit the general BTS XML files. If they are already included in the BAT folders, then edit those. If they aren't included in the BAT folders, then copy them from the BTS folders (or Warlords or Vanilla Civ folders - depending on the file. Some aren't in the BTS folders), then edit them in the BAT folder. You never want to directly edit your Civ master files.

When you load a mod, the game reads first from the mod's folders to find any info that it needs. If it can't find the information that it needs to load, then it looks in the BTS folders, then Warlords, and then Vanilla Civ, until it finds what it needs. So as long as you put your changed files in the BAT folder, the game will read them before the regular BTS files, and it will ignore the regular BTS files as a result.

Also, get a good editing program like Notepad++. It's free and it's wonderful. You can get it here:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

BAT 4.1 does not change the AI at all. It subscribes to the BUG Mod mantra of not changing gameplay. However, BAT's sister mod, Better BAT AI, does improve the AI and still gives you all the goodness of BAT with an improved and smarter AI.

If you'd like to try it, the download link is in my sig. Enjoy! :)

Thank you for the informative response! I don't actually want the AI to be changed from its default state, so this is a good thing. I like to play save files and then send them to my dad using worldbuilder and it would hardly be fair for comparison's sake if my version of the game contained gameplay alterations!

Thank you for the informative response! I don't actually want the AI to be changed from its default state, so this is a good thing. I like to play save files and then send them to my dad using worldbuilder and it would hardly be fair for comparison's sake if my version of the game contained gameplay alterations!

Save games from BAT 4.1 and Better BAT AI are not compatible, so no worries there. :)

How can I merge BAT with K-MOD? I've been playing with BAT for a while, and want to try out the rule changes of K-MOD without losing all the nice graphics of BAT.

It's been done.

MMod is an unauthorized fork of BAT with KMod and is not fully complete, AFAIK. As I understand it, it's been unavailable for some time. The author also can't be bothered to credit any of the modders involved, beyond Karadoc, so it is not supported in any way by me.

If you're going to do it yourself, it's a heck of a lot of work. ;)

I use Linux Mint. I had this Bug/Bat thing installed before, but maybe some wine updates broke it? I don't seem to see the mod features like the fat + layout aid from pressing alt X. Clicking on bug mod 4.4.exe says "error launching installer"
File Civ4BeyondSword_PitBoss.exe has a error list in terminal of it not being able to find a Pythonerr2.log but a setup wizard comes up all the same. I try selecting bug mod 4.4 from the list of choose a mod, then click next. It shuts down. If I click on it again same thing and it defaults at no mod every time. And it does not seem to be working.

I am attempting to install it anew but still trying to figure out what I need to do.
"folder in assets goes into custom assets"
But there is no custom assets folder.
I put those into the regular assets folder. Otherwise I managed the other instructions, but it still doesn't seem to be installed. alt X still doesn't bring up the layout thing.

Last edited:
I use Linux Mint. I had this Bug/Bat thing installed before, but maybe some wine updates broke it? I don't seem to see the mod features like the fat + layout aid from pressing alt X. Clicking on bug mod 4.4.exe says "error launching installer"
File Civ4BeyondSword_PitBoss.exe has a error list in terminal of it not being able to find a Pythonerr2.log but a setup wizard comes up all the same. I try selecting bug mod 4.4 from the list of choose a mod, then click next. It shuts down. If I click on it again same thing and it defaults at no mod every time. And it does not seem to be working.

I am attempting to install it anew but still trying to figure out what I need to do.
"folder in assets goes into custom assets"
But there is no custom assets folder.
I put those into the regular assets folder. Otherwise I managed the other instructions, but it still doesn't seem to be installed. alt X still doesn't bring up the layout thing.

It's been about 10 years since I really looked at the Mod, but I'll do my best from memory. The folder named Assets is named Custom Assets if you are running the game not as a Mod, but as the normal game. So if running from the Mod directory, the folder structure should be Bug Mod/Assets. Otherwise just rename the Assets folder in the archive to "CustomAssets", and place in your main game folder. If you put the contents into the Assets folder of the main game folder it will break the install, and will require a full install of the complete game to fix, IIRC. Since you're running a Linux flavor, you can't run the installer. I'd highly recommend running this as a Mod, and if you want it to run all the time the modify your Civilization.ini file to automatically run the Mod when you started the game.

When you download BUG ( and expand it if you downloaded a zip or similar file ) you will find a folder labled BUG, or BUG 4.4, I don't recall which offhand. Your download is the Archive mentioned by alerum68. Inside that folder is the "Assets" folder to which alerum68 is referring to be renemed and moved. If you have other things that you have already placed in the CustomAssets folder, move the contents of the "Assets" folder instead. Do not mess with the Assets folder in the main BTS directory. Unless you know what you are doing, that is a good way to totally trash your CIV installation. To run the game as a mod, start the game and then choose the main menu option to run a mod. It will list your mods and you can pick the one you like. In WIndows, there is a line in the EXE that you can modify to automatically launch the mod when you launch CIV, instead. In Apple OSX, you can launch the mod and let it launch CIV. I know nothing about Linux, so I don't know what options you have there. If you install BUG in CustomAssets, instead of as a mod, it will launch every time that you start CIV without you having to do anything extra. There should be a Read.Me file in the download expalining how to install BUG. In case that is no longer included, here is a copy of it below (note that this assumes Windows, you may need to make minor changes for Linux. Also, the strings of "......." are only there to indicate indents in the listing of folders, since this board strips out leading spaces. The indents indicate subfolders.):

README for BUG
==============

1. Introduction
2. Installation
3. Configuration

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. INTRODUCTION

BUG is an unaltered-gameplay mod for Civ4:BTS. This readme covers how to install BUG manually, but we recommend that you use the installer when you can.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. INSTALLATION

WARNING: You should never modify or replace the original BTS Assets files.

To install BUG as a mod so that you must load it to play, place the folder that contains this README file into your BTS's Mods folder.

....C:\Program Files
.......Sid Meier's Civilization 4
..........Beyond the Sword
..............Mods
.................BUG Mod

To install BUG so that it is always active with your games (this will allow you to use it with succession games and games you open from the CivFanatics forum), you must first copy the files and folders from the Assets folder into your CustomAssets folder. Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets and copy the Info and UserSettings folders into it. Finally, copy the files inside PrivateMaps into BTS's PublicMaps folder.

At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

...C:\Documents and Settings
......<your user name>
.........My Documents
............My Games
..............Beyond the Sword
................CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
................BUG Mod <-- create this folder
..................Info <-- copy these two folders here
..................UserSettings
.................PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here

3. CONFIGURATION

Once you start a game with BUG you can customize how BUG looks by hitting ALT + CTRL + O to get to the BUG Options screen. It has many tabs to organize the settings, and they are all written to INI files inside the UserSettings folder. You can also change them in these files, but this is only necessary for a handful of options.

Last edited:
I had already read the bug read me file before coming here, which is why my questions had direct bearing on it's instructions.

I had already had Civ4 set up to auto do Bug but for some reason it no longer works. Oddly enough my old saves were missing too (it had been awhile since I had played) When I go to advanced and choose the bug mod, the game shuts down immediately.(I installed it for mod loading like instructed)

I have tried to follow all instructions for both loading mod and default on and I think some parts of bug are working? (can't remember which stuff came from bug and which came from default game) ctrl alt o doesn't bring up bug options and alt x doesn't bring up the city placement guide.

PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here

Am I correct in assuming the files from the mod download is meant here?

Top Bottom