Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Peat Bogs on hills are floating. Look really strange, like a guys head with a bad toupee. Who is in charge of terrains now?

Also why is Poison Tech before Naturopathy in the tech tree? Shouldn't Naturopathy come 1st and then Poison?

And Animal Riding Tech when researched has 2 TEXT_KEY_XXXX_XXXXX. As doe Warfare.

Screenshots below.

JosEPh

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0124.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0124.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Civ4ScreenShot0120.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0120.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Civ4ScreenShot0122.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0122.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 82
Peat Bogs on hills are floating. Look really strange, like a guys head with a bad toupee. Who is in charge of terrains now?

Also why is Poison Tech before Naturopathy in the tech tree? Shouldn't Naturopathy come 1st and then Poison?

And Animal Riding Tech when researched has 2 TEXT_KEY_XXXX_XXXXX. As doe Warfare.

Screenshots below.

JosEPh

1: The person in charge of terrains is Toffer.
2: Poison is much easier to discover and medicines, including medicinal herbs, are just poisons that have been put to positive use. Medicinal study is, therefore, a higher pursuit. Discoveries initially stemmed from studies into poisons rather than the other way around.
3: What buildings or whatever have the bad txt key?

I'm curious as to the logic behind some of the tamed animals.

Why are there, for example, three kinds of tamed rhinos (albeit available only when you have their specific myths), but no tamed sheep, goat, or deer?

It seems odd to have several versions of "superfluous" tamed animals (ones that only provide their stories, standards, governor's pets/menagerie, and enclosures in some cases), yet no versions of some animals which may provide a significant benefit (for example, you need a local sheep resource - whether herd or map tile - for the shaman buildings).

I'm curious as to the logic behind some of the tamed animals.

Why are there, for example, three kinds of tamed rhinos (albeit available only when you have their specific myths), but no tamed sheep, goat, or deer?

It seems odd to have several versions of "superfluous" tamed animals (ones that only provide their stories, standards, governor's pets/menagerie, and enclosures in some cases), yet no versions of some animals which may provide a significant benefit (for example, you need a local sheep resource - whether herd or map tile - for the shaman buildings).

Lack of time to implement stuff.

1: The person in charge of terrains is Toffer.
2: Poison is much easier to discover and medicines, including medicinal herbs, are just poisons that have been put to positive use. Medicinal study is, therefore, a higher pursuit. Discoveries initially stemmed from studies into poisons rather than the other way around.
3: What buildings or whatever have the bad txt key?

1. Thought so but was not sure.
2. Naturopathy is the process of learning All about the flora and fauna around your environment and should therefore precede Poison Crafting/Medicines. If you don't know your surrounding how do you determine what is good or bad?
3. See screenshots. The Pop ups for when each Tech is discovered has the TEXT_KEY problem.

JosEPh

How can i stop barbarians spawning on non earth tiles?

I have a map made with a lunar section partitioned off by impassable terrain tiles, ice and orbit. But the barbarians spawn on the lunar tiles. How can I stop this and only allow the barbarians to spawn on earth based tiles?

2. Naturopathy is the process of learning All about the flora and fauna around your environment and should therefore precede Poison Crafting/Medicines. If you don't know your surrounding how do you determine what is good or bad?
Disagree. Poison crafting is the first half of getting to that well rounded knowledge of all flora and fauna. In the process of trying to learn about those things, you tend to find the poisons first and once found they are easier to implement immediately. Say you're out in the wild and you nibble on a plant. It makes you sick. You now know about a poison that can be ingested. You might test how effective it is as a puncture poison as well as that can help with your hunting.

Now, conversely, if it doesn't harm you, you may start taking it for food, provided it doesn't taste all that bad. Whether it does or not, you might try using it to help with ailments down the road. That'll be pretty hit and miss as to whether it helps or not. Many of the poisons that you've catalogued may actually be much more effective at that, which you'd never suspect until you start understanding what the flavors in things may mean about its chemical ingredients.

It's in the process of this research that the poisons stand out much more quickly and are applied much more readily. I figure most civilizations weren't looking for poisons so much as cures when they found the poisons along the way. Once you have a tool that can improve your survival, you use it - particularly if it's in a preternatural setting where survival is hard won on a daily basis.

How can i stop barbarians spawning on non earth tiles?

I have a map made with a lunar section partitioned off by impassable terrain tiles, ice and orbit. But the barbarians spawn on the lunar tiles. How can I stop this and only allow the barbarians to spawn on earth based tiles?
It takes giving the units they are spawning the restriction to Earth plots. MapCategoryTypes tags need to be applied to the units that are incorrectly spawning. If that doesn't work then the coding would need reviewed.

Disagree. Poison crafting is the first half of getting to that well rounded knowledge of all flora and fauna. In the process of trying to learn about those things, you tend to find the poisons first and once found they are easier to implement immediately. Say you're out in the wild and you nibble on a plant. It makes you sick. You now know about a poison that can be ingested. You might test how effective it is as a puncture poison as well as that can help with your hunting.

Now, conversely, if it doesn't harm you, you may start taking it for food, provided it doesn't taste all that bad. Whether it does or not, you might try using it to help with ailments down the road. That'll be pretty hit and miss as to whether it helps or not. Many of the poisons that you've catalogued may actually be much more effective at that, which you'd never suspect until you start understanding what the flavors in things may mean about its chemical ingredients.

It's in the process of this research that the poisons stand out much more quickly and are applied much more readily. I figure most civilizations weren't looking for poisons so much as cures when they found the poisons along the way. Once you have a tool that can improve your survival, you use it - particularly if it's in a preternatural setting where survival is hard won on a daily basis.

It takes giving the units they are spawning the restriction to Earth plots. MapCategoryTypes tags need to be applied to the units that are incorrectly spawning. If that doesn't work then the coding would need reviewed.

Sorry, talking to a newcomer to this, what file do i need to look at to add these tags and can you show me an example of adding this tag?

Sorry, talking to a newcomer to this, what file do i need to look at to add these tags and can you show me an example of adding this tag?
Try asking Pepper2000. He has a 'space terrains' thread in the maps section and may know the answer.

1. Thought so but was not sure.
3. See screenshots. The Pop ups for when each Tech is discovered has the TEXT_KEY problem.

JosEPh

1. I've noticed but a quick fix is not plausible atm,

Understand

JosEPh

A far as I can see they are still there. Assets/Modules/StrategyOnly/More_Events, there are 8 of them and I have seen them active in game too.

HUH< weird, in my in-play game they are gone, but i just looked in SVN and they are there, WT . . .:crazyeye:

Hi guys, I am a follower of this mod for years, I admire your work, thanks !!

keep it up!!

Welcome ChukyVega! And Thank you for playing our mod. :)

JosEPh

Me said:
Quck fix not plausible atm.
Understand

JosEPh

Giving it another thought, perhaps you could restrict the feature to flatlands until I can make it tillable and height adjustable like the forests type features are.

The relevant tag is named something like bFlatland, I think swamp and mangrove are set up to not appear on hills if you need examples of it.

I'll try to find it.

EDIT:
Code:
<!-- Peat Bog -->
		<FeatureInfo>
			<Type>FEATURE_PEAT_BOG</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_PEAT_BOG</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_PEAT_BOG_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_FEATURE_PEAT_BOG</ArtDefineTag>
			<YieldChanges>
				<iYieldChange>-1</iYieldChange>
			</YieldChanges>
			<RiverYieldChange>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
				<iYield>1</iYield>
			</RiverYieldChange>
			<iMovement>2</iMovement>
			<iHealthPercent>-50</iHealthPercent>
			<iDefense>25</iDefense>
			<iAppearance>80</iAppearance>
			<iWarmingDefense>3</iWarmingDefense>
			<bRequiresFlatlands>1</bRequiresFlatlands>

Looks like it already has the bRequiresFlatland. So why is it showing up on hills? Does it need a <bRequiresHills>0</bRequiresHills>

JosEPh

I'll try to find it.

EDIT:
Code:
<!-- Peat Bog -->
		<FeatureInfo>
			<Type>FEATURE_PEAT_BOG</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_PEAT_BOG</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_PEAT_BOG_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_FEATURE_PEAT_BOG</ArtDefineTag>
			<YieldChanges>
				<iYieldChange>-1</iYieldChange>
			</YieldChanges>
			<RiverYieldChange>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
				<iYield>0</iYield>
				<iYield>1</iYield>
			</RiverYieldChange>
			<iMovement>2</iMovement>
			<iHealthPercent>-50</iHealthPercent>
			<iDefense>25</iDefense>
			<iAppearance>80</iAppearance>
			<iWarmingDefense>3</iWarmingDefense>
			<bRequiresFlatlands>1</bRequiresFlatlands>

Looks like it already has the bRequiresFlatland. So why is it showing up on hills? Does it need a <bRequiresHills>0</bRequiresHills>

JosEPh

It also has a list of valid terrains. It maybe that the map script is checking for the valid terrains and ignoring the "requires flat lands". For example, it is possible the programmers or designers considered that you would either require flat lands or take that requirement from the valid terrain list.

Anything not listed will have the default value so there is no need to have a <bRequiresHills>0</bRequiresHills>.

Well then it's beyond my meager knowledge to fix the floating peat Bogs on Hills. And since I've tried a variety of different maps during my GS tests I forgot which map I saw it on. :p Plus I've deleted several early test games to clear up my savegame folder.

JosEPh

Top Bottom