Crime & Punishment

@WimpyTheWarrior

Selling the Bandit's Hideout seems like an exploit. Perhaps buildable crime buildings should not be sellable.
I don't consider that an exploit. You put in the effort to build it, because you needed to train thiefs and then you sold it. While it was there, it caused some extra crime.

People cause/commit crime, not detention centrs/jail/courts.

Certainly an exploit which deprives the player of the intent of the system.

I don't consider that an exploit. You put in the effort to build it, because you needed to train thiefs and then you sold it. While it was there, it caused some extra crime.

But then your bandits loose their hideout so they should disband or settle somewhere else.

There is a large difference in play styles, in multi player this is the kind of thing that does not unbalance the game, but for single play against the AI, at this stage of implementation, it is.

I agree with AIAndy. No different than selling off a library or 2 to help with cash flow as an example.

Basically anything the player can do and the AI can't is an exploit. The real crux is whether you the player uses it or not. Or if you even consider it to be one.

JosEPh

I can see everyone(s) point to an extent. Would be be like those "fly by night" places that were back in the late late 90's early 2000's, "tech places"?? Just like Jobs and Gates?? But each went their own way, so the main building that they set it up, more than likely their dorm room, was here today for awhile and then poof separated, so its gone??

I dont know? Then what do you do with the AI here, because it is a GAME, and things are different here posed to actual real life, got to give and take once in awhile.

@Hydro,

Do you want save games posted so you can see how things are progressing in different game setups? I thought you had mentioned this earlier. With tons of details right?

JosEPh

I can see everyone(s) point to an extent. Would be be like those "fly by night" places that were back in the late late 90's early 2000's, "tech places"?? Just like Jobs and Gates?? But each went their own way, so the main building that they set it up, more than likely their dorm room, was here today for awhile and then poof separated, so its gone??

I dont know? Then what do you do with the AI here, because it is a GAME, and things are different here posed to actual real life, got to give and take once in awhile.

I don't have strong opinion on this one. It's a rather 2-edged strategy (if you are actually using your thiefs/rogues they are going to die from time to time so you're goign to need to replace them), and low crime levels really aren't that bad anyway. It also wouldnt be very hard to program the AI with this pattern if it did turn out to be that significantly advantageous, but I doubt it's really a huge thing. There are more important areas of the AI to improve, and at some level its difficulty (relative to the AI's always-noble) that is itended to make up for the inevitable better play by humans. I don't think the ability to destroy buildings (and this is not a unique example where it might be advantageous, so as a general issue not new) is a sufficiently major factor (compared to other AI weaknesses) that it significantly modifies the (existing) balance.

I appreciate their early value, but honestly aren't they really being used as "Early scouts that can survive the wilderness?" Rogues in particular are awesome scouts. But is that what they're supposed to be?

But we could always use something like DH is using for his sea animals, whereas they wont reveal any land/fog, or cant???

It looks like there is no clear consensus about handling the Bandit Hideout, but what is the collective view on Thieves/Rogues as scouts? Rogues in particular; as they move 2, ignore terrain, +1 visibility range, and are 100% safe in the winderness. The perfect scout, albeit with a +1 :gold: cost per turn. But is that their intended use? I think not, and I like SO's idea about restricting the ability of Thieves/Rogues to reveal terrain, as we have for subdued animals. (Imaging Subdued Eagles as Scouts!)

What do others think about SO's idea?

Another option would be to allow some animals to detect hidden units; felines are pretty alert. This could also be used to reduce the value of Thieves/Rogues as scouts.

@Hydro,

Do you want save games posted so you can see how things are progressing in different game setups? I thought you had mentioned this earlier. With tons of details right?

JosEPh

Personally I prefer screenshots with written descriptions. Save games can only do so much. Your own experiences on why you did what you did is more valuable to me.

Another option would be to allow some animals to detect hidden units; felines are pretty alert. This could also be used to reduce the value of Thieves/Rogues as scouts.

1. I like the idea that thieves/rogues cannot reveal territory. It would give some power back to the scouts/explorers.

2. I disagree. The animals you capture are still wild. So I do not think they would help in tasks until they are domesticated/tame.

EDIT: Unless you wanted to have an alt timeline where you had a Big Cat Trainer wonder that trains a domesticated big cat that works like a dog, but stronger.

Dogs already spot stealth units though using great felines would be a good alt timeline way to go too, as an alternate hunting/war/guard animal unit.

Cheers

I'm not a big fan of cannot reveal units. It seems a really artificial restriction. I think they are more or less fine as they are. Having some WILD (not subdued) animals able to see them seems reasonable though to me.

Edit - also, given you have to build something that has a nasty crime effect to build them they need to be good in some unusual way. I vote for the status quo on the units themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimpyTheWarrior

1. I like the idea that thieves/rogues cannot reveal territory. It would give some power back to the scouts/explorers.

2. I disagree. The animals you capture are still wild. So I do not think they would help in tasks until they are domesticated/tame.

V21 subdued wolves see thieves, this is changed for V22?.

V21 subdued wolves see thieves, this is changed for V22?.

I have not changed any animals as far as what they can or can't see.

I do like the idea of some wild animals being able to see and attack thief and rogue units but I am not sure if that will man that nearby other barbarian units will be able to see them also.

I believe these two buildings (Assassins Den and Mercenary Camp), i haven't yet checked anything out beyond the Thieves/Roues/Merc/Assassin yet, are WAAAY to high, my Capital which is my best city, only has a crime rate of 222, and yet the AD requires at least 700 :eek: , and the MC 750 i didnt even look at Rebels Camp yet, but i bet thats outrageous also??

I am even in Medieval Era and way past these now, so more or less these buildings/Units are useless?? Please tell me i am wrong.

Since I am removing the requirements for buildable crime buildings I had a few ideas.

1. Have crimes give a faster production of crime related buildings. Such as Crime (Drugs) allows you to build Druglord's Mansion 50% faster. Or Crime (Poaching) allows you to build Poacher's Camp 50% faster.

2. This would need new code but have say the Poacher's Camp automatically build for free Crime (Poaching) in that city without the need of a high crime rate. Likewise other crime buildings like Chop Shop would make Crime (Car Theft) in that city. I do not know how to set it so it only builds in that city and not all cities.

It was good to put the Bandit's Hideout available again, the problem is that the AI don't build it !!!
In the early game you can go and pillage their territory without opposition. I usually love playing "cat and mouse" (don't know if it works in english in french it's : jouer au chat et à la souris) but now there's no challenge.
Is there a way for fixing that ?

What bugs me is how can you have crime if you don't have a code of laws!

So people never raped or murdered other people before the code of laws? :confused:

Seems to me bad behavior, tricking people or taking their stuff against their will has been going on long before they wrote down formal laws.

People are still going to be :mad: or :yuck: wither or not you say they broke a law or not.

Top Bottom