UI modifications (suggestions and discussion)

Boring to use the same avatar for more than 1 month.
I only use the first 2 though, 2nd one looks nicer so I replaced it :D

Two things:

Could the event log openable with ctrl+tab be made to recenter viewports when you click on an item in the list that would normaly center your view on the event location, and said event is outside the current viewport?
In my current game I am in classical era so far and my empire includes just 2 viewports, so manually switching is not yet too much a bother, but with continent spanning empires it can be tiresome.

Also, just out of curiosity: Is there a way to display trade routes? Not really important for gameplay so far, but I would find it interesting to see.

Have the "espionage" and "revolution" button to the upper right disappeared?

Also, I recon that the "victory conditions" and the "demographic" button have moved from left side to right side?

Is it a bug or purpose?

Where are the contents of "espionage" and "revolution" to be seen now?

@platyping

Why's your avatar keep changing?

He's at it again, but at least this time its a good looking one, not like the other ones:yuck: I really dont understand a "Guy" putting a female avatar in his spot??:crazyeye: Unless its a Fantasy pic.

Sometimes I use animals or cartoons too.
I use Shrek for facebook :D

Also, I recon that the "victory conditions" and the "demographic" button have moved from left side to right side?

Is it a bug or purpose?

indeed :confused:

Two things:

Could the event log openable with ctrl+tab be made to recenter viewports when you click on an item in the list that would normaly center your view on the event location, and said event is outside the current viewport?
In my current game I am in classical era so far and my empire includes just 2 viewports, so manually switching is not yet too much a bother, but with continent spanning empires it can be tiresome.

Should be easy enough, but no promises on when...

Is it a bug or purpose?

Should have been fixed when SO reversed my changes to the main screen python.

Could the buttons for reducing/increasing to 0/100% research/culture/espionage funding be made different from the regular 5% increment ones?
I like those additional buttons for comfort, but sometimes I forget if the outer or inner one is the one I need. And even when not, it would be nice for the eye to have them not look the same.

Since I am using the autoend-turns option, and gatherers are rare in the longlasting first hundreds of turns in eternity games, I have to call attention to the situation that I have to watch after my guys so they don't actually build the improvements final if I just want to pre-build them, for example, so once I unlock new worker actions, like paths with tracking, I can have the gatherer build a road to the improvement and then built it and "die" for it...

However, right now, all we have is a "pre-chop and stop 1 turn before finishing" button.
I liked a "stop 1 turn before finishing any worker action" button, which would be very useful for the combination of eternity prehistoric start and autoend turn. Gee, I really had plans for dozens of gatherers just realizing they finished the stuff before I could stop the autoend turn in time, to stop them in time of being spent...

In ancient/classical I then will deactivate the option for quicker flow but in the beginning its much needed, I think

@Thunderbrd did you try changing CvMainInterface.py?

Line 241 defines HELP_TEXT_MINIMUM_WIDTH and 520-521 sets up the area of the screen to contain the help text. Also line 4004, 5246-5250, 6388-6395.

Mind you I can't quickly identify where it is used.

I did try adjusting that - set it out to 1000 and didn't see any difference at all. That's a LOT more than double the amount there, what is it now, like 200? No effect. So I really must be missing something. That variable sure shouted like it might have been the one to work with - was rather disappointed it didn't work.

It may be one of the things hard coded in the engine. I know others have tried to change the width but I have not heard of any successes. Of course it may be that we just need to call it something other than HelpText and write our own object.

I found the reference to POPUPS_BACKGROUND_TRANSPARENT

Code:
screen.setHelpTextArea( 390, FontTypes.SMALL_FONT, 0, 0, -2.2, True, ArtFileMgr.getInterfaceArtInfo("[COLOR="Blue"]POPUPS_BACKGROUND_TRANSPARENT[/COLOR]").getPath(), True, True, CvUtil.FONT_LEFT_JUSTIFY, 0 )

Assets/ XML/ Art/ CIV4ArtDefines_Interface.xml
Code:
<InterfaceArtInfo>
                        <Type>POPUPS_BACKGROUND</Type>
                        <Path>Art/Interface/Popups/PopUpBackground.nif</Path>
                </InterfaceArtInfo>
                <InterfaceArtInfo>
                        <Type>POPUPS_BACKGROUND_DDS</Type>
                        <Path>Art/Interface/Popups/PopUpBackground.dds</Path>
                </InterfaceArtInfo>
                <InterfaceArtInfo>
                        <Type>[COLOR="Blue"]POPUPS_BACKGROUND_TRANSPARENT[/COLOR]</Type>
                        <Path>Art/Interface/Popups/PopUpBackgroundTRANS.nif</Path>
                </InterfaceArtInfo>

They are in \Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Assets0.fpk

In Assets0.fpk:

\art\interface\popups

I uploaded the files below for convenience.

Attachments

• popups.zip
    39.1 KB · Views: 45
http://civ4bug.sourceforge.net/PythonAPI/Classes/CyGInterfaceScreen.html

CyGInterfaceScreen isn't in the SDK. It's not a method either, it's an object!

VOID setHelpTextArea (FLOAT fWidth, FontType eFont, FLOAT fX, FLOAT fY, FLOAT fZ, BOOL bFloating, STRING szArtFile, BOOL bExpandRight, BOOL bExpandDown, INT uiFlags, INT iMinWidth)
void ( float fWidth, FontTypes eFont, float fX, float fY, float fZ, bool bFloating, string szArtFile, bool bExpandRight, bool bExpandDown, uint uiFlags, int iMinWidth

Top Bottom