Cultures

Either get rid of the base culture or make the secondary culture not resource dependent. I hate starting with a base culture and then getting plopped in a part of the map where I can't build cultures because of the wrong resources.

Either get rid of the base culture or make the secondary culture not resource dependent. I hate starting with a base culture and then getting plopped in a part of the map where I can't build cultures because of the wrong resources.

No need resources to build Secondary Stage culture.

Which is part of a bigger problem: the fact that you have to choose your initial city site more or less "blind", i.e. you don't know what resources you'll get until you have done a few researches. But once you have placed your initial city, you can't change it anymore. And if you chose a bad location resourceswise, you are out of luck.

Nomadic start would be a solution to that. I'm not a particular fan of nomadic start, other than roleplaying value. Because I think that having to move your civ around all the time will be boring once the novelty wears off. But I'd welcome it if you can place your Band of Homo Sapiens, do a few researches, explore a bit, then be able to turn your initial city back into a Band of Homo Sapiens and relocate to a better spot. That would be awesome. Even if that means you lose all the buildings (except Palace).
I don't even think it would be much work to program, just give the player a Band of Homo Sapiens when he disbands the city with CTRL-A and has not researched Tribalism yet.

So the Team has finally decided to abandon Hydro's base Cultures? You know the base African, European, Asian, Native American and so on?
JosEPh :confused:

No way. Although it may be useful to add in at least one more.

We are starting the review of the Cultures. Looking at what is wrong and right with the current system and seeing if we can come up with better ideas.

Its just names. We can name them as we want.
But maybe Second Stage should apear in ancient era?
And before that we can still got some loose, prehistoric cultures? Like Neandethals.

Yes, sorry it was way past my bed time after a bad day so sorry if I came over grumpy.

If we are going to have second stage then we don't need a new unit. There is a perfect place already. Give the choice when the nation gets the Cultural Identity tech.

Which is part of a bigger problem: the fact that you have to choose your initial city site more or less "blind", i.e. you don't know what resources you'll get until you have done a few researches. But once you have placed your initial city, you can't change it anymore. And if you chose a bad location resourceswise, you are out of luck.

It is on my to do list to ensure that when you choose your start nation and hence start base Culture that you start in the correct part of the world. The problem I am having with this is that the code is split between the Python map scripts and the dll making it very difficult to do. All map scripts will have to change.

I am not talking about making it so that you can get the Culture of the Civilization you chose as I want to get rid of those Civs and think it a waste of time trying to support something that is going away.

I dont know if there even possible to rid off civilizations. Because there is tons of data (art and text) which is linked with them. List of the cities, pedia entries, leaders, flags, buttons...

I dont know if there even possible to rid off civilizations. Because there is tons of data (art and text) which is linked with them. List of the cities, pedia entries, leaders, flags, buttons...

Perhaps they should be kept as template data but kept aside from being actual playables for the majority of them. I think you're right that this is where the platform is for a lot of info we need to have cataloged. We may need MORE rather than less... for this reason.

I've begun to chip away at the ideas project. I'll start a thread on it. I figured if you're going to be pushing on development in this area, I'd start the process of getting the system in place that's going to make this whole subject dramatically improved.

We'll have to discuss how the math should flow and how to best make that happen. This is kinda similar to properties really but I'm hoping it doesn't need to be so complicated nor incompatible with standard practices established by the original civ programmers. Hoping it can be made in such a way that's much easier for us all to work with and for players to interact with.

Cultures would be a good place to start with Ideas anyhow.

I had some thoughts about this just now as I was playing the game, just random ideas, some of which may be completely unfeasible but you be the judge.

1. If there were some kind of "minor-civs" feature civ5-style, they could be 'persuaded' to share their culture resource with you. Or their hero could offer his services.
2. On the same note perhaps some perhaps you can gain a hero from helping a city gain independence from another civ. That is, help the revolt and take one or two cities for yourself for good measure.
3. One way to "choose" what main civ to evolve into could be a bit like what somebody already hinted at, but in more ways. For example you want to end up as turkish or mongolian so you opt for a nomadic lifestyle until the mideval era, presuming nomadic civs is functional some day.
4. It could also be like a quest instead of a building. For example you are already some kind of greek, say Dorian, but you want to become the "Athenian Empire" and basically it amounts to building a huge navy and getting first to research democracy.

1. If there were some kind of "minor-civs" feature civ5-style, they could be 'persuaded' to share their culture resource with you. Or their hero could offer his services.

We don't have Civ 5 style "minor civs" but we will have Indigenous Peoples which you will be able to interact with. Currently they are just a terrain improvement like a mine. You can't build them but they appear wherever a goody hut is found on land.

We don't have Civ 5 style "minor civs" but we will have Indigenous Peoples which you will be able to interact with. Currently they are just a terrain improvement like a mine. You can't build them but they appear wherever a goody hut is found on land.

So it could be cool if these were some of the first sources of culture right? I thought you'd said something about this earlier. They could, when placed, be given an amount of 'idea' influence there that could transfer to units that spend time with them. Those units, when returning, could innately transfer some of their 'ideas' to the city passively. Storytellers could also go out to 'learn' the 'idea' (being their culture) and come back to purposefully push teaching the culture to your cities. In this way you pick up the earliest cultures from these initial spawns. Would work once more was done with the ideas project at least.

<- (hates civ 5 and is very worried about ppl talking about copying civ 5 elements as though they are features instead of abominations)

<- (hates civ 5 and is very worried about ppl talking about copying civ 5 elements as though they are features instead of abominations)

+1!

JosEPh :)

Now, now, guys! Civ 5 did get one improvement right - the hex grid instead of the square grid was very nice. Too bad it came with all the rest of the garbage...

The hex grid has some advantages but IMO the only really good thing about Civ5 is 64bit.

At last, big update to cultures in C2C was uploaded.
Past 3 months I worked on this content and now you can guys play with 240 new cultures!
From Patagonians to Polynsian cultures.
From East European to Subsaharic.
From Australian Aboriginal cultures to Amazonian ones.

Every new culture has one unit and one hero. Creating these units I tried to use all exsiting type of units from C2C. There is tons of non-combat cultural units like merchants, healers, police units and pirate and criminals too. Every one slightly better then non-cultural counterparts.
Some cultures which already been in mod but they was empty now have heroes and units.

Have fun :)

Top Bottom