ROTQM10: Raging Over the Quarreling Mountains

Construction>HbR for elepults to inflict some city razing type damage?

All the AIs know HbR so a spear or two would be useful.

To be honest, I don't think we have economy to make a real offensive, so i would prefer to hunker in defense for a while ... that is why I sugested going LBs or x-bows ( the ungodly ammount of melee that our enemies have been sending would be nice for them.

Oh, and definitely some spears. We have a mongol nearby anyway :p

Ok, this set was boring ...

That is, besides the epic tale of our pillage stack :D I continued to pillage with it ( i managed to reduce 2 high level cottages to rubble near Nidaros and to kill their iron mine ). Here is a typical screen of the issues that stack had in hand :
Spoiler :

To be honest, none of those attacked the stack in that turn , but we are now with a sword in hot pursuit 2 tiles away for quite a while. Like i had already said in this post before edit, the stack is reduced to a spear and a chariot and will not last lost if forced to combat.

Here is another typical screen, this time about St pete:
Spoiler :

During the set we had atleast 3 mini stacks of Portuguese and iking units suiciding vs the bloodstained walls of St pete ... killing 2 archers and giving a lot of XP to the rest of the units :p. That multinational stack in top of the pig is irking me, to be honest, but we have more to do for now ...

Like I said, pre set, i beefed the defenses of Thracian and Yaroslav: added some axes and spears and got walls in ( Thracian is still doing them ). The rest was mainly making units ... and keep up the infra builind where it was already being done.

Yakust had some serious issues with barbs. I killed 3 barb swords, 2 axes and a spear IIRC there. No lost units, but we had to rebuild the pasture. The library there is still to be finished, since i couldn't chop it ... so I got a monument to be done .

Speaking of barbs, a wise advice: Do not found 2 religions before getting your 2nd city out in raging barbs. This might happen:
Spoiler :

It's actually sad since i can't see a sign of a single tile improvement :/ or the barbs pillaged the Koreans to death or the guy had gone full religious before being overwhelmed.

Anyway, and going back to our turf, I teched Construction->Sailing->Calendar ( partly ). We have a good handful of calendar resources and we should upgrade them. I also made a lighthouse in the only city of ours that can have one :D

Some end of set pics:

First the land as we know it:
Spoiler :

I have the feeling that the sea we have west of our land actually connects to atleast Seoul ( or atleast that can be done via fort ). We might actually have a use for a navy after all :D

F1 screen:
Spoiler :

The cap needs whipping ... I neglected that :/

We have to discuss tech path from now on. I think we should lock calendar, but after that we have a couple of options: going Feudalism, going Machinery ... maybe even going CoL to put our economy in the tracks again....

In military terms I think we are in decent position. We could actually use some more spears, but, barring catapults, we have a solid hold in St pete. I have not seen any cats or phants around, so we should still have a window on that. i already seen keshiks in the northern lands, though ... we should had some spear in our western border, just in case.

nice sets guys...i think that sadly defense is good here in the short-term but we have to make sure we don't get caught doing it forever or we'll be sunk.

i think once constr comes in, we need to start building a stack to at least wipe out some nearby cities. I like a cat/phant army backed by horses and other pointy-stick guys for defense...that should hold up well for next few sets before we start seeing enemy lb's around.

also, i'm a big fan of building a granary or library as teh first build for a city until it hits pop2, and then whpping in the monument. seems like a better use of the early hammers there.

pholkhero
ozbenno
LKendter
rolo >> just played
pigswill >> UP NOW
mystyfly >> on deck

LOL - The barbs control religions! That screen shot of Seoul is really funny.

Got it.

We've already got construction (and a fair number of axes) so maybe look to build some cats (after another spear. Techwise finish calendar then go for HbR to add an elephant or two; with elepults we only really need a shock axe (or two) to defend vs enemy spears.

How about building a fort NW of gems near st. pete to keep the AI suiciding there instead of blocking the gems tile while suiciding against the city..?

Haven't forgotten this one but have let it slip. Bit tired tonight but if I haven't played tomorrow morning and posted by noon gmt feel free to skip me (and chastise me for letting the team down).

I like the fort idea.

alright, mysty, if you have time, please take it. otherwise, I'll pick it up and get us back in teh swing of things.

If i don't hear anything in about 12 hours, I'll run with it.

Pholk, go ahead if you get to it. I planned to play on the weekend, I'd prefer this.

next time you guys are thinking of running a new SG, can someone buzz me? I haven't played in an SG for ages. We could resurrect one of those chaos games where each turn set someone role plays the game in a random way.

:bump:

Who is playing?

Not me :p i was the last one to play :D

Suposedely pigswill was skipped and mysty was suposed to be up, but mysty also auto-skipped himself, so I suppose pholk is UP...

:scan: Looking for signs of life. :scan:

:sleep: :sleep:

Started playing (my wife who is the quintessence of perfection and beyond reproach or reproof has just announced we're going shopping).

Back from shopping.

Played to 715ad.

Highlights/lowlights.

Calendar>HbR>?Col (placeholder, minimum beakers).

Pillagers annihiliated (on both sides). Lost a few units, killed more, we have spices, working on sugar. Built a couple of cats, cats/eles being queued.

Fuller report available on request.

Top Bottom