Can't build a scout! Late-ish midgame.

revelation216

NQ Civilopedian
Why won't it let me?

You might wonder why this is useful to me at this stage in the game. I wanted to see another civ's military. They had large cultural borders around their one city preventing me from seeing. A scout would be super handy!

Scouts can only be built in the early game only.. That has happened to me before, but you could also purchase units in the later game with faith or gold if you need a unit quick.

Remember the Explorer unit? I don't know why they don't have an upgrade unit for a scout.
I don't understand why they would stop letting you build them, given that most players probably struggle to level scouts early on; you're not even allowed to build them once you can actually produce them with a decent number of promotions (not wholly true, but true enough in practice).

You can use mounted units as replacements for scouts. With the exception of crossing rivers they're just as mobile and can get the sentry upgrade for additional vision range.

I don't understand why they would stop letting you build them, given that most players probably struggle to level scouts early on; you're not even allowed to build them once you can actually produce them with a decent number of promotions (not wholly true, but true enough in practice).

i guess the trick is to not lose your scout. i've managed to keep him til the end before.

Again, as Nares said, Mounted units make a better replacements for scouts late game as

1. They can fight off the modern barbarians (Scouts are pretty much walking dead meat in mid-late game)

2. Have higher moving rate so they can achieve more exploration than 2-movement scout.

You can scout with missionaries along with the mounted units. Both of these units don't see as well as the scout.

It isn't religious pressure that kills missionaries in foreign lands; it's attrition. 250 of a missionary's conversion strength evaporates (or attrits) every turn in stays in unfriendly major civ territory (i.e., civs where you do not have open borders). When conversion strength hits zero, the missionary dies. No attrition in CS territory, regardless of how the CS feels about you.

Again, as Nares said, Mounted units make a better replacements for scouts late game as
Ryika said it.

One thing I've heard related to mid-game combat, though, is that after you've upgraded your spear/CB army into pike/XB, you'll want to start producing mounted and siege units instead of defensive and ranged units, due to how they'll upgrade in the renaissance and industrial eras.

Those mounted units can also reach the front faster, and are more effective at pillaging (once you lack the happiness to actually capture cities).

i guess the trick is to not lose your scout. i've managed to keep him til the end before.
It's like a ritual for me... all of my initial Warriors always make it to the end. They're all dispatched into a fort eventually, never upgraded and live to see the Winning screens.
Don't even know why i bother?! :D

I thought it was astronomy that drops the scout. I sometimes buy one or two just before astronomy to help exploring other continents and to grab island ancient ruins.

I disagree that mounted units are better. Scout with the extra visibility promotions can see into borders and are a lot cheaper.

By that time you should be able to see the part of the map that you need to see. You don't always have to see the whole map.

By that time you should be able to see the part of the map that you need to see. You don't always have to see the whole map.

I like to see into borders so I know where the resources are and so I find any remaining natural wonders. A scout can often get +2 visibility out of the gate just before astronomy and is a dirt cheap unit.

Missionaries can go into borders without the need of having open borders. You can explore a lot more with a missionary when you don't have open borders and they also have +4 movement. The only issue with missionaries is that they often die from attrition.

Top Bottom