Maximum gold from a trade route?

asura_

Chieftain
I've had trade routes give 30-40 gold using cargo ships. Is there a limit to how much you can earn? What determines the amount of gold

I've only played a handful of bnw games, and I've already had many over 30. I've never hit 40 though, I wonder if maybe on bigger maps it would be easier though.

Best routes is to have your capital to have a river connecting to an Major AI Capital that has a river plus 2-3 different kinds of luxuries. Preferably as faraway as possible.

Failing that, a merchantile city state. They have 3 luxs so they can give you like 20-30gpt lategame. Depending on various factors.

If the gold you gain is also related to the city you trade with's size/gold out put, that would mean you are more likely to get big gold routes if you have a long game.

The formula starts with resources city A has that city B doesn't.
Gold buildings are a multiplier to it for both. (In addition, there are flat additional bonuses to city owner from market & bank)
Distance is also a multiplier.
Harbors increase gold from Cargo ships for route owner.
East India Tea company provides more income to city owner.
Cargo ships provide 2X as much gold for both.
Exploration has a policy that boosts all cargo ships income to the route owner an additional amount.
Freedom contains a tenet that boosts route owners income when the destination city is to another civ following Freedom.
Morocco's UA includes a boost when other players make trade routes to Morocco.
Portugal's UA includes a boost for their own trade routes.
Patronage has a policy that boosts income to route owner to city states, but it's usually not enough of a boost to be worth it (compared to having the route with a major civ)
Commerce has a policy that boosts income to route owner when its a caravan, but cargo ship income would still be higher even with that policy.
There is also a building that does the same thing to Caravans as Harbor does to Cargo ships, but again you'll get more income if its a cargo ship.

I'd imagine a Sea Trade route with a Freedom Portugal to another Freedom Civ have the most potential gold, with Exploration and Patronage filled out, with the Freedom Policy Tenet which gives 3+ gold to other Freedom Civs.

I've had about 50-60ish with Portugal but if you play legendary start I'm sure you can get more

I'd imagine a Sea Trade route with a Freedom Portugal to another Freedom Civ have the most potential gold, with Exploration and Patronage filled out, with the Freedom Policy Tenet which gives 3+ gold to other Freedom Civs.

The patronage wouldn't help this trade route since that it only helps city states, but other than that's the best you can get unless Morocco is in the game and they also adopted Freedom.

The formula starts with resources city A has that city B doesn't.
Gold buildings are a multiplier to it for both. (In addition, there are flat additional bonuses to city owner from market & bank)
Distance is also a multiplier.
Harbors increase gold from Cargo ships for route owner.
East India Tea company provides more income to city owner.
Cargo ships provide 2X as much gold for both.
Exploration has a policy that boosts all cargo ships income to the route owner an additional amount.
Freedom contains a tenet that boosts route owners income when the destination city is to another civ following Freedom.
Morocco's UA includes a boost when other players make trade routes to Morocco.
Portugal's UA includes a boost for their own trade routes.
Patronage has a policy that boosts income to route owner to city states, but it's usually not enough of a boost to be worth it (compared to having the route with a major civ)
Commerce has a policy that boosts income to route owner when its a caravan, but cargo ship income would still be higher even with that policy.
There is also a building that does the same thing to Caravans as Harbor does to Cargo ships, but again you'll get more income if its a cargo ship.

Nice Post...Knowledge is Power, Thanks Bro :thumbsup:

The commerce social policy will be good for land trade route caravans while the exploration social policy can bring in more gpt from the cargo ship trade routes. Choosing these social policies can increase your gpt as well depending on the majority of your trade routes whether they are land trade routes or sea trade routes.

Top Bottom