No more diplo bonus for trading?

Big J Money

Emperor
I've not been able to get a diplomatic bonus for making trades with the AI civs from the diplomacy screen. This is since playing BNW.

Has anyone else been able to? Was it removed in BNW?

You will get the diplo bonus when you make it a good deal for the AI. E.g. When selling lux, make them pay 200 instead of 240. The bigger they take advantage, the bigger the diplo bonus.

You get trade bonuses to diplo by making trades that give the AI a better deal than what they would have settled for.

If you want a friend and have a healthy GPT, gift them an excess luxury. They will be your BFF. This is especially useful after warmongering.

This is not happening either.

Twice now I've given away a lux for free and have gotten no bonus. Are you guys sure this is still working in BNW?

Edit: Another time, a civ asked me for a free resource and I have it to him. Now I did get the "you helped me out" bonus for that, so no problems there. I'm just talking about when I initiate a trade myself.

Are you doing this with friendly civs or with civs that already hate you?

You are less likely to get bonuses like that with civs that hate you because they demand so much more.

Working fine here...

some civs may be "underestimating" the modifier, or plainly hiding it. Remember that stance and modifiers are the AI's public image, that is, what they want you to believe their real political position is. It's not necessarily their real stance.

Still not sure why the tooltip still says "We've traded recently" when the AI get's a good deal. And not "You were generous in our trades"

It's been a misnomer since it was patched into the Vanilla 2 years ago!

The bonus is also quite mild. I think something like -5 (negative numbers are good) to relations both in Vanilla and G&K. I haven't looked at BNW XML yet.

I trade resources for open borders to spread tourism and get a positive modifier. Only when my economy is good though.

I've noticed something similar. The only situation so far I was able to get diplo bonus was when I was giving away conquered cities (so that some other civ would take the heat for burning it).

This strange behavior was happening to me with friendly civs and non-friendly civs. I'll keep an eye on it.

Also, I didn't think the bonus was so small. I thought it was variable, and if you give a really good deal it can be as large as -30. I may have misunderstood the variables.

Top Bottom