This thread might blow your mind

turkeypotpie

Chieftain
So I was thinking. Why do we play Civilization? For some of us, it's because it's a deep game, full of many strategies and layers. Different games unfold in different ways, and this is fascinating.

But for some of us, well, all of us to a certain degree, we play to win. It's a game after all, and only one of the eight or so civilizations will come out on top. We want to be the best, and sitting back peacefully being #2 just isn't satisfying. On top of this, we ourselves aren't the only ones playing the game. When playing against the AI, we want to push higher, from prince to immortal to deity. The higher we go, the more skilled we are with respect to our fellow players.

So my ultimate question is this: what if the Civilization universe was the only universe, and nothing outside of that existed? And you, yes you, were a prominent leader in the world. Would you still play "the game" in the same way?

You could climb your way to #1. Billions of people would be in awe of you, and they would bow down to you like a god. But you would be alone, so very alone ... with nowhere else to go ...

I'd still play to win. Being alone would be better than losing(dying) with all of your happy-go-lucky allies getting taken over by Hiawatha.

Excellent question.

I would become the peace-loving civilization which everyone adores, but as soon as the clock strikes December 21, 2012 I would simultaneously declare war on everyone! [I've done that before, haha].

Very good question! I wouldn't play as aggressive IRL as I do in game. Although I do see myself as a pragmatist, my rule would probably be more Machiavellian. I would probably still focus on the same things though. Science, culture, ect.

i wouldn't feel good about all the death that would be necessary to unify the planet (domination). this is somewhat related to why i try to win cultural and only dominate a civ when they prove they only want my civ wiped away. although a lot of times at the end of game i'll be a hypocrite and nuke Hiawatha if he's about to win :lol:

but if the world were Civ and we were leaders then that would mean that we were also immortal (physically). so who knows how just that alone would change our logical process or morality.

"but if the world were Civ and we were leaders then that would mean that we were also immortal (physically)."

"There can be only one!" -- The Highlander Series (both movies and TV show.)
Macchiaviellian all the way with the goal of decapitating my Immortal Brethren.

"but if the world were Civ and we were leaders then that would mean that we were also immortal (physically)."

"There can be only one!" -- The Highlander Series (both movies and TV show.)
Macchiaviellian all the way with the goal of decapitating my Immortal Brethren.

Truth be told, we ARE immortal! We have never been and never will be out of existence. "Death" is just another passing phrase. But this is another off topic discussion altogether!

:D

I would probably play as I always do - as peacefully as possible, focusing on science (and since BNW, religion and culture). As soon as a civilization tries to push me over, I steamroll the out of it and reduce its cities into ashes.

Ultimately we exist to tread the Golden Path. We can become gods in our power, that is for sure, but can we make the ultimate sacrifice? Can we sacrifice ourselves for the good of humanity when all is said and done?

Obviously a question with deep philosophic roots. ... I'll bite.

Its been told that those who seek success, fame, power or some other goal are never satisfied. Ultimately, while we take joy in all of these we are meant to be filled with something even greater. Disagree? I'll give an example.

We were meant to create and there is something in us that desires to be a top. For many people this is building a home, raising a family or starting a business. ... We think of these as the 'greater' in the beginning of my discussion above. As a gamer we don't necessarily build on these things instead we escape into another world (a digital one) and are satisfied with the creativity, the challenges and the victories brought on through gaming. Its satisfying! In every way! But it's different than the conquests of the real world.

So when someone who seeks success, fame, power etc ... are they also receiving something 'different' than the 'greater'?

- this musing brought on by someone who may not follow this thread much further =)

You could climb your way to #1. Billions of people would be in awe of you, and they would bow down to you like a god. But you would be alone, so very alone ... with nowhere else to go ...

Its the price you pay when you toil for everyone to be safe and prosperous, Rodrigo.

At least you would reflect at what you accomplished and be content.

And to the actual question: Since humans have 0 chances of peaceful coexistence EVER, I believe that a war to end all wars would be the outcome. And after that an education program for a few centuries teaching them that all are equal, there are no racial/religious and whatnot differences automate labor via technology and have everyone live in peace.

Then I would retire on peaceful tropical island and wait till they screw up again.

Top Bottom