What's the point of TOURISM in the early game?

Does TOURISM provide any benefits pre-Industrial Age? Like, if I build the PARTHENON (with it's one GREAT WORK slot already filled), besides the culture you'll get from the wonder, does accumulating TOURISM early do anything in the short term? Or is it just a long term goal which doesn't really kick in until much later?

All it does is start adding to your tourism pool for later on. For the Parthenon the +6 culture you will be getting is what will really help you early on. +2 tourism per turn isn't much, though having the great work for tourism later on might be helpful once your bonuses start to kick in.

It's long term, but if you don't start building it early, you'll be behind later and may fall victim to ideological pressure. The immediate benefit of tourism-producing great works is that they're also a prime source of culture (and by extension, social policies).

Theoretically, I think it's mathematically possible to win a cultural victory prior to the Industrial Era given very specific circumstances (your opponents almost completely disregarding culture and you going for every bit of Great Works and Theming Bonuses that you can... probably feasible at least as France or Brazil). I'm waiting for the first thread about someone winning a rather early pre-industrial cultural victory. Especially because some of the best players eventually won the previous cultural victory in sometimes similar fast-paced fashion.

Other than that, though, I doubt early Tourism has much utility.

I was able to fulfill the theming bonus on the Sistine Chapel with the Great Art from the Parthenon and a Great Artist awarded for completing liberty. That was a pretty good use for two Great Works created during the classical age.

Theoretically, I think it's mathematically possible to win a cultural victory prior to the Industrial Era given very specific circumstances (your opponents almost completely disregarding culture and you going for every bit of Great Works and Theming Bonuses that you can... probably feasible at least as France or Brazil). I'm waiting for the first thread about someone winning a rather early pre-industrial cultural victory. Especially because some of the best players eventually won the previous cultural victory in sometimes similar fast-paced fashion.

Other than that, though, I doubt early Tourism has much utility.

Probably doable on a smaller map where you're less likely to have a culture civ pop up

I don't understand tourism... yet... so I'll just remain awkwardly silent.

You get +2 culture for each Great Work, early tourism generation, and more Great Works of different eras to draw from for Theming bonuses later on.

Doesn't tourism influence accumulate over time? So +2 tourism over 200 turns is the same as +16 tourism over 25 turns?

I was laughing about Rome in my current game with their few artifacts super early until I noticed they were already influencing all to others in the game by about 25% and me by 7% while I myself am influencial to others by a mere 0.3%, even though I'm planning to win this through culture. So actually those little pre-industrial tourism bonuses are good - probably because the other civs are lacking culture to really counter.

Great works olso give culture you do know that? opera houses and amphi theater only provide 1 culture know so you need great works to get social policies

Top Bottom