Making Friends

Lukelbs

Chieftain
My current game is in the renaissance era and I've been having trouble building my relationships with my neighbors. It's not that we're enemies it's just that nothing has happened at all and I have to give a little extra to get open borders to explore. I've met 8 out of 10 other civilizations so far and the only friendship I have is with Egypt. It was totally random and they have the worst score.

Anything I can do to grease the wheels? I've had other matches like this and I know once world congress begins it will start picking up but I'm interested in building relationships prior to world congress.

For one thing, find AIs that are friends with each other and make DOFs with them both if possible. It gives a good diplo modifier. In my current game, I was able to maintain a three-way alliance(me, Brazil, and the Maya)for a long time until Pacal finally chose Autocracy and me and Pedro went with Freedom.

Also, if you can, rescue their workers or settlers from barbs. That also gives a good modifier. And with the friends that you do get, if you can afford it, give them help when they ask for it.

If you really want to turn the AI's eye, try a big gift -- 4-5 gpt or even a heavily discounted luxury (e.g., sell lux to a neutral or better AI for 1-2 gpt, or even free).

Send all your trade routes to them. Early game, on medium difficulty levels, the AI may not have enough gold to pay full rate for your iron, horses and luxuries. Unless you need these things to stay out of negative happiness, just let them have it for whatever they can pay.

You will also get a swarm of DOF requests when you (or the AI) first research Education (since DOFs are a prerequisite for RAs).

If you really want to turn the AI's eye, try a big gift -- 4-5 gpt or even a heavily discounted luxury (e.g., sell lux to a neutral or better AI for 1-2 gpt, or even free).

So if I just offer them GPT or items in the normal trade menu it works the same as when they ask for help?

Nice to know I've always wondered if that would have the same effect.

I sometimes give a few gold per turn to keep on the good side of some AIs.

Top Bottom