Science and Technology Quiz 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aramazd

Deity
So Quiz 2 passed 1000 so it's time to make a new thread!:dance:

Procedures :-
1) A asks a question, the rest will try to answer.
2) A must confirm which answer is correct.
3) Person (say B) with confirmed correct answer then asks the next question.
4) A cannot play again until B's turn is over (to prevent the thread turning into a 2 person spam party).
5) Repeat.
6) If person asking question doesn't login to confirm answers within 72 hrs of his question being posted, any one can ask a new question.
7) If no one can answer question within 72 hrs or can't get the right one, questioner can ask again.
8) Definitely no Net or book searches. The answers would be too easy to find if you were allowed to use Google and the like.
9) If answer has been confirmed and the new questioner hasn't set a question in 72 hours, anyone can ask the new question.
10) You can ask questions on any aspect of science (including the history of science and scientists) but let's try not to resort to 'm=3kg a=2ms-2 please work out F'. Come on, guys. Technology questions are also allowed and encouraged.
11) Mathematics is also allowed, but take heed of rule 10).

Previous Quizzes:
Cumulative General Science/Technology Quiz
Science and Technology Quiz 2: The one with the catchy title.

And the question:

What is placozoa?

An octopus with a vanity complex, or a snail?

Bigfoot's not real, but there is a real family of animals known as macropods, and macropod does mean 'big foot'. What are they more commonly known as?

What is the Aufbau rule, and what scientist is it named for?

It's the order in which orbitals are filled with increasing atomic number, I thought it was named after some German word not a science guy.

It's the order in which orbitals are filled with increasing atomic number, I thought it was named after some German word not a science guy.

About 80% right, and you're right it wasn't named for anyone--I wuz being tricky.

To win it all----Some people use the aufbau rule as a diagram to memorize the order that the orbitals are filled, but what is the arithmetic equation used to fill the orbitals?

with or without the rare earth elements? ;)

GoodGame said:
To win it all----Some people use the aufbau rule as a diagram to memorize the order that the orbitals are filled, but what is the arithmetic equation used to fill the orbitals?

You've got to be fairly dedicated to remember such a thing...

Do you want the 1s2s3s2p... sequence? Good luck with that without cheating ;)

About the name (i.e. Aufbau): it's German for 'build up' (as in step by step).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom