Another WW2 scenario

Posted a test version 14/11. It fixes a lot of minor issues that I wanted to get past before taking a break from this.

Unfortunately I messed with the original map file, and ended up using a copied version of it when I went to compile the mod. I think this reintroduces the "Assertion failed!..." crash on load.
The work around of creating a new map file breaks the "start game" button, so if saving over the map file doesn't correct the crash then it's unplayable. Obviously it works on my end, but part of the fun of modding is to share the finished product. I'll see about fixing it if it's unplayable.

First, thanks a lot for the continuous updates and improvements of your great mod !
I tested the version 14/11 yesterday and had the "assertion failed" crash, but opening the map in the WB fixed it. I always had the "assertion failed" crash, even with the previous versions, and fixing it required the "new map" method.
On my system, version 14/11 introduced a new problem : Any attempt to load a version 14/11 save file results in a runtime error crash (I do not have any errors when saving).
Even if it is probably unrelated, i created a new map name : It did not fix the problem. Surprisingly i did not have the same symptoms as described in your post : It did not break the "start button", game ran for a few seconds on a void map and ended with the defeat screen. I also could not select which civ to play : Whatever civ i selected, the game started with a random one...

Yep, I ran into that myself when I was attempting to get the scenario to load correctly. Basically, the map file isn't recognized correctly by the loader. In some cases the start button stopped working, and in that case it loads up what appears to be a completely empty map with no civilizations to play as. It defaults to a random civ to start the game, and then immediately goes to the defeat screen.

I'm not sure what is going on with that runtime error crash. The setup file does not do anything to affect saving/loading games as far as I know. I would guess it's somehow related to the map file though. I'll keep it in mind when I try to fix the overall issue with the map being loaded. Thanks for the feedback on it.

Some additional information about the runtime error crash : I reinstalled v13v10, and it is also affected. (I did not notice that immediatly because i installed v14v11 a few hours after v13v10 installation, and did not try to load a v13v10 save). I then reinstalled v12v9 : No crash. So the crash could be related to something introduced in v13v10.

14/11 is ok for me after i loaded up the map in worldbuilder and saved the map under a different name. i cant start as japan again but thats not out of the ordinary

Hey, me again. Great work again! Problems with the flavors had been fixed well. But the map is def to big for my computer, the graphic crashes. while jumping over the map I have the problem that some fields stay black with re corners, not looking good (late game, started at standing at the ural-mountains with germany and northafrica, then, landing in south america, I got theese problems. A smaller map would be fine for slower pcs...
also had a few units with black/missing skins (seen at germany and spain)

New version is posted. Hopefully this is a stable/playable one. I'm pretty sure what was causing that runtime error, and it should be fixed now.
I made a lot of adjustments that are intended to make the AI choose techs/units with more variation. As for the unit balance changes, tank destroyers were making tanks almost pointless as it was. The halftrack AA units should actually be useful now too.

Also, I think those missing skins were corrected in one of the small updates I made.

Thanks for the new version ! Infortunately, i still have the runtime error crash.
I edited your v3 map file (i.e the initial map file in the package, before opening and saving it with the WB) and compared it with the map file i got after saving in the WB :
I found differences in the unit list declarations : Saving the file in the WB automatically introduced the Denmark and Korea DLC units (Those DLCs are installed on my system), which were not in your map file (So i guess you do not have those DLCs).
As mentioned in my previous post, v12/v9 works fine : I did the same comparison as above with the v2 map files, but found the same differences. So it can not explain by itself the runtime error crash, but i can not rule out that DLCs could be involved in it (And maybe in the assertion failed crash also ?)

Thanks for the new version ! Infortunately, i still have the runtime error crash.
I edited your v3 map file (i.e the initial map file in the package, before opening and saving it with the WB) and compared it with the map file i got after saving in the WB :
I found differences in the unit list declarations : Saving the file in the WB automatically introduced the Denmark and Korea DLC units (Those DLCs are installed on my system), which were not in your map file (So i guess you do not have those DLCs).
As mentioned in my previous post, v12/v9 works fine : I did the same comparison as above with the v2 map files, but found the same differences. So it can not explain by itself the runtime error crash, but i can not rule out that DLCs could be involved in it (And maybe in the assertion failed crash also ?)

Well, I thought it had something to do with a couple utility lua files I had included between 12/9 and 13/10. Apparently not then. I suppose it could be related to a DLC issue, as I indeed do not have those DLC units. It seems odd that it only shows up in 13/10 and later though. :confused: It would be interesting to find out if others are having the same problem, or if this is a unique crash.

EDIT: After thinking about it more, it does make sense that the DLC units are causing trouble. WB only has 256 slots allotted for units. After whatever unit that has ID=256 all remaining unit entries in the <units> table are not recognized by it. For my scenario/game #256 is the BT-2 soviet light tank, which is pre-placed on the map. For your game that same unit would be booted down to a higher ID# by however many DLC units the Denmark/Korean packs add. So, when you go to view/save the map in WB the pre-placed units are going to be made out of synch. This is even potentially the case for all of the WWII unique units added by the scenario, since I'm guessing that the DLC units take precedence over the ones added by the mod. If that's the case the whole map would be garbled up completely, and I'm actually surprised that it manages to get past the initial startup and into the game at all.

So assuming it's possible to even do so, maybe you could try uninstalling your Denmark/Korea DLC packs. From there you could delete the map file that is corrupted and reattempt installing/playing the scenario.

As for the "Assertion Failed!...", I have two guesses about that. One being it's just from the map size being so big. That crash first showed up when I converted the scenario from the vanilla huge size 120x80 to 180x94.
My other guess is it is from using a copied map file. I've had copied backup map files of the scenario that I've gone to and from between updates. Somehow the map file is recognized as a copy by the game and hits a crash as a result. Why or how this might happen, I have no clue. I posted about it on 2kgames troubleshooting forum a while back, and they never offered any potential causes or solutions for it.

Regardless, whatever causes it goes away once the map has been viewed/saved in WB. Too bad the run time error isn't fixed so easily.

I suppose that's a bit time consuming. An easier way to check to see if this DLC unit issue is causing problems is to open the map in WB (Be sure to verify that the 2 WWII mods are enabled first) and check for the correct units at a few locations. To do this select the units tab on the far right panel and select the "edit" option. Then simply click on the following locations and see which unit shows up in the edit window.

London should have a spitfire mk2 and a hawker hurricane
Hamburg should have a stuka and a sturmgschutz III
Vladivostok should have a BT-2 located on the tile directly to the right of the city

Keep in mind some of the units are invisible in WB, because the # of available strategic map icons is a mere 128. So, any unit with an ID >128 is invisible in WB.

If any of those comes up incorrect (ie. displays the wrong unit), then the map is going fubar from differences in DLC unit additions. Assuming this is true, then it would explain a lot of the problems that people have experienced with this scenario. Basically any difference in someone's DLC from my own would result in the preplaced units getting out of synch. I have had the Mongol, Babylon, Spain, Inca, and Polynesia packs for quite a while.

I finally fixed the runtime error crash, and assertion failed crash also, at least on my system. I followed your advice and moved the Korea, Denmark and ancient wonders DLC folders to another location in order to lure the game (which then considers them as not installed).
I also reinstalled the v3 map in its initial configuration, and started a new game :
No assertion failed crash on map loading, neither runtime error crash when loading a save. The DLC definitely causes the crashes.
I do not know exactly what the crashes mechanisms are, but your hypothesis about a unit number limit which may be exceeded seems to be right. In the map file, units declarations are indeed listed in the following order : Vanilla units, DLC units and finally mod units.
Any new DLC units not declared in the initial map and introduced by WB, will shift downwards the rows of the mod units, breaking the file mapping.
About your last post, i confirm that some preplaced units were uncorrectly displayed when i had the DLC installed (For example, when playing as UK, the preplaced Kent class heavy cruisers were changed into KV-1 armors).
Thanks a lot for your support and, once again, great work !

Again, great mod. Have spent many hours playing it.

But, even with the newest version I'm still unable to play as Japan, which sucks because next to Germany I find them the most interesting. Any suggestions for things I could try to get it to work?

Well that's good to finally get to the bottom of. Thanks for working through that with me:goodjob:. I'll have to figure out how to permanently get around this now. My thought is that will probably require resetting all the units on the map unfortunately:(.

I'm not too sure when that will happen. In the meantime, I may post a link to this section of the thread for others to view.

Again, great mod. Have spent many hours playing it.

But, even with the newest version I'm still unable to play as Japan, which sucks because next to Germany I find them the most interesting. Any suggestions for things I could try to get it to work?

I'm pretty sure the problem with Japan stems from where I ended up putting the world wrap. Instead of having it go through an empty area like the middle of an ocean, I have it going right down through Japan's main starting position. If you notice in game, the world wrap noticeably affects texture drawing, and even leads to some odd glitches if you use a ranged attack traversing it. I'm thinking this makes loading a game with Japan more intensive, and ends up crashing out if they have too many units/cities.

So, the only permanent way to fix it is for me to remake the whole map with that world wrap positioning in mind. Since that's not practical though, opening up the map in WB and deleting units should do the trick. Last time I tweaked their starting forces I was able to make Japan go from crash on startup attempt to being able to both start a game, plus load a save.
So if getting Japan playable is worth the trouble, I'd say go into WB and delete a few of their starting units that you think you can do without. If it still crashes, then you might have to keep deleting until it works. Based on my experience, it shouldn't take too much.

The one potential downside to this work around is I'm not certain if after you've played for a few turns and built up the Japanese empire that a save will still be loadable. Hopefully the major hiccup is in the initial game load, and that is not the case though.

Help, I cannot install part 2 of the mod. I click on the "install mod" button. It starts to install (watch the circle and the count of the 3,519 files). Then it just stops. Part 1 loads properly. This is not unique to your mod. Hulfgar's mod will do this sometimes if downloaded from mediafiles. Any good ideas of how to fix? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice rhettrongung. I tried deleting probably about a dozen or so units, maybe more. I tried twice to start a game as Japan; both were unsuccessful.

The rest of the mod is exceptional, but I have always had a soft spot for Japanese history, so that's why I'm so interested in playing as them. I've started a new game as Germany on Diety so that'll keep me occupied for a while, maybe I'll try some more with Japan later.

Anyway, now that I've played the update, I just again want to thank you for all the work you constantly put into this. I can't imagine how time consuming this process has been. Thank you.

I really enjoy your mod, and its rlly good 2 play but i have 2 quick prlbms.
1. Is there a way to make the scenario freeform/ like the open play in the wwii civ iv mod? Will this ever be released at a later date if not available now?
Sorry to bother you with this, but I really enjoyed being able to make my own foreign policy decisions, and I love 2 go off script. =)
2. Like arfolk, I'm unable to play as Japan. Around how many units should i delete, and should I delete any units from China to make up for it
Thanks
nbeav54:)

Hi..
i downloaded this scenario,,and enable it form the MODS browser..but whent i choose a civilization and start the game an error occurs something like "Assertion failed"

help please..i really like this game!!!

Hi..
i downloaded this scenario,,and enable it form the MODS browser..but whent i choose a civilization and start the game an error occurs something like "Assertion failed"

help please..i really like this game!!!

--> The instructions listed where you download the file tell you how to fix this by using the map editor and resaving the main map.

Hello can anybody help me and upload a WorldWarIIGiantEarthV3.civ5map after it was saved in world builder? I can't get World builder to open the latest version of the map(v19).
I hope that will help me get past the annoying "Assertion failed" error.
I played an older version of the mod(v8v7 I think) and it worked without any problem(except for long turn times later in the game but that's normal considering the huge map and the tens of cities and units).
The problem is that I can't find older versions of the mod anymore. Could somebody help me?
Thank you.

I really enjoy your mod, and its rlly good 2 play but i have 2 quick prlbms.
1. Is there a way to make the scenario freeform/ like the open play in the wwii civ iv mod? Will this ever be released at a later date if not available now?
Sorry to bother you with this, but I really enjoyed being able to make my own foreign policy decisions, and I love 2 go off script. =)
2. Like arfolk, I'm unable to play as Japan. Around how many units should i delete, and should I delete any units from China to make up for it
Thanks
nbeav54:)

1) Somewhat. You should be able to modify the script more to your liking by editing a couple lua files.

First open "FECsummary.lua", and change "WAR_MINIMUM_STARTING_TURN = 76" to something like "WAR_MINIMUM_STARTING_TURN = 0", or whatever you'd prefer. That will allow open warring to occur within Axis/Allies restraints.
To then disable scripted diplomatic actions, open "FecScript.lua". Go through and delete all the table entries for "g_Major_Diplomacy" and "g_Major_Minor_DoW" so that they both match the "g_Major_Minor_Peace" table (which is already empty).

So when you're done it should look something like this:
Code:
g_Major_Diplomacy = {
}
g_Major_Minor_DoW = {
}
g_Major_Minor_Peace = {
}

To allow completely open warring, without breaking other things like the calendar/tech tree, would require more complicated changes. You could try deleting all the lua files, and see what happens. I guarantee the calendar will break, but the tech tree is something that I'm unsure about.

2) Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what it definitively takes to get Japan working. I have gotten Japan to be playable before by deleting units that they spawn with. So my thought is if a unit spawns on a portion of the map that is viewable by Japan at the start, then deleting it would probably help.

Top Bottom