Another WW2 scenario

Ok, I just found the cause of the Japanese tank not showing up. Just a dumb xml error on my part...:mad: Very frustrating. Looks like I botched the Italian tanks in a similar fashion. I must have mixed them up at some point when I added them.

Additional bugs: I uploaded outdated versions of maps also. They are not very old, but Italy starts with a strategic resource penalty and there are some aircraft that are preplaced on carriers that the game cannot seem to recognize. So, the aircraft end up just being left out from the scenario. This ends up leaving Britain and France short on some aircraft.

Anyways, at least I know the cause. I will definitely be uploading a new version now, so I would appreciate anymore help pinning down bugs. I want to get a good version up this time.

Another thing is I will be posting more clear installation instructions as well. I think I wasn't quite specific enough on a few things that need to be done for the mod to work correctly. I'm still not seeing any TXT_KEY reference issues. This is a strange bug to be seeing, because the XML components and the text entires of the mod are all in part 1 together. So I can't imagine how you would get the units to show up, and not get the correct text updates to show up as well. They should go together.

A new version with the fixes has been posted in the OP along with better installation instructions.

Wulfy dont try and school me on WW2 history. I understand the NAP between the soviets and nazis. And the pact to split up poland, but i figured why not.

Rhettron, I did switch it to quick. But that doesnt explain Italy denouncing me...

But that doesnt explain Italy denouncing me...

I didn't address that, because I thought I had already been over this earlier in the thread. So I figured you were just mentioning it as a minor bit of info.
I reduced Mussolini's war mongering hatred to the lowest setting possible. There isn't much more I can do outside of maybe making a LUA mod that directly makes all the diplomacy moves in game. I don't know how to work with LUA right now though, so that's pretty far back on the back burner.

You can do a couple things to try and counteract negative diplomacy factors with them. Always respond with the kind option when he comes to you about settling near him, offer any sort of trade option you can to him (IIRC I usually sell him spare furs right away), and promptly denounce anyone you see him denounce.

As for my own experience, I played a game as Japan and managed to conquer all of China plus Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Hanoi, Lhasa, Singapore, French Indochina, Sri Lanka, and also some minor pacific island colonies. All of this within about 30 turns and never was denounced by either Hitler, Mussolini, or even Stalin for that matter (Although I did denounce Stalin to get in good graces with others). So I think it must be possible to get by without being denounced by Axis leaders.

np, let me change tact; is it me or does Franco look alot like De Gulle's brother.

Yes, that picture is of de Gaulle. Most of those small leader portraits aren't my work. Along with a lot of the Civ icons, Pal1723 posted them as download packs for WWII.

It's something I noticed a while ago, and put off correcting. It was a minor problem compared to some of the other things I was doing at the time, and changing the portrait is kind of a chore. Should get corrected next time at least.

Well i decided to play as Japan for this version, and so far im loving it. I am ripping apart china even after they almost sent me right back to the seas a few times.

China is down to like 7ish cities now. Although, with my rapid conquest I am at a constant worry at what my happiness level is. Ive traded for every luxury resource possible but it's still bad. Cities are in revolt for 6+ turns and Courthouses take a while to make. But it makes it harder so its more fun.

One issue i have is production seems off. I personally dont think it should take a year or two to build a plane...or recruit infantry. Reinforcements are virtually non existant with the high production values of everything.

And final issue is its turn 7 and no French cities have fallen, I also played as Germany to see why that is, and the French army is WAY to strong. Tactics dont work in this game and especially dont work for the AI. If you want this to be realistic France should have virtually no army. Fill the Maginot Line and give them an AA gun or 2 and 1 tank. But the amount that they have makes it hard for the AI Germany to deal with them.

EDIT: End of Turn 7 Paris fell. Turn 10 no others have.

Good point, in past versions moders have created separate maps for specific civs (e.g. playing USA would have weak Frane to give German ai chance, as dlmt3 indicates).

I was building things like tanks, destroyers, zeros, g4ms in about 4 turns in Tokyo. Toward the end of my campaign in China I had a population in Tokyo of 20+ and was pumping out units in 2-3 turns. I was also able to purchase units fairly consistently throughout. I will give you that those same units were taking 10-15 turns in the other cities, but I think the high GPT Japan gets should make up for it. If you don't like the long production times btw, you do have the option of constructing things like War Manufacturing Centers and Shipyards. Both accelerate build time immensely. The other thing is Japan starts out with 1 of the largest armies.

As far as Europe, I was trying to strike the right balance here to avoid creating multiple map versions. But I think you are probably right. I watched Europe closely in my own game earlier and the best I saw was the taking of Paris at about turn 12 or so. They were able to take Athens surprisingly, but that doesn't make the stalemate in France forgivable.

So, this is something I will take a look at correcting later. Not so sure about changing Japan up too much though. They already do pretty well controlled by the AI, and at least for me were very capable of conquering southeast Asia.

One issue i have is production seems off. I personally dont think it should take a year or two to build a plane...or recruit infantry.

On second thought, you have brought up a pretty good point here. Specifically on the infantry. The next version I'll try to adjust the infantry costs way down, and to compensate will expand the combat stats gap between them and vehicles. Should make for a more realistic army compilation.

I was building things like tanks, destroyers, zeros, g4ms in about 4 turns in Tokyo. Toward the end of my campaign in China I had a population in Tokyo of 20+ and was pumping out units in 2-3 turns. I was also able to purchase units fairly consistently throughout. I will give you that those same units were taking 10-15 turns in the other cities, but I think the high GPT Japan gets should make up for it. If you don't like the long production times btw, you do have the option of constructing things like War Manufacturing Centers and Shipyards. Both accelerate build time immensely. The other thing is Japan starts out with 1 of the largest armies.

As far as Europe, I was trying to strike the right balance here to avoid creating multiple map versions. But I think you are probably right. I watched Europe closely in my own game earlier and the best I saw was the taking of Paris at about turn 12 or so. They were able to take Athens surprisingly, but that doesn't make the stalemate in France forgivable.

So, this is something I will take a look at correcting later. Not so sure about changing Japan up too much though. They already do pretty well controlled by the AI, and at least for me were very capable of conquering southeast Asia.

Yeah with Japans army china fell quickly, I built a line of forts between mountains and left them with 3 cities, in order to focus on Australia and the US. I destroyed most of the U.S. Pacific fleet and am now landing in Australia and moving to take Midway and Honolulu. I even have 2 battleships now and 3 Carriers all full of planes. Complete naval dominance is awesome.

Although I feel multiple maps is entirely unnecessary. Just weaken France a lot. Whether a human or an AI is playing as France they should fall very quickly. Just for accuracy.

On second thought, you have brought up a pretty good point here. Specifically on the infantry. The next version I'll try to adjust the infantry costs way down, and to compensate will expand the combat stats gap between them and vehicles. Should make for a more realistic army compilation.

Ok good! They really took too long to create, and when faced up against a tank could hold out a bit too well.

Hi.
did everything like you explained in first post.
My game is running, but crushes always after first turn (sometimes even when i`m loading the game)...
Is 3gb of ram not enough?
rest of my pc is pretty good as i recently bought new computer.
Plus never had the problem with normal game or other scenarios even when biggest world map was full....
Any help??
Scenario is awesome and i really want to play more than one turn...

Hi.
did everything like you explained in first post.
My game is running, but crushes always after first turn (sometimes even when i`m loading the game)...
Is 3gb of ram not enough?
rest of my pc is pretty good as i recently bought new computer.
Plus never had the problem with normal game or other scenarios even when biggest world map was full....
Any help??
Scenario is awesome and i really want to play more than one turn...

First off, sorry to hear that. I had problems with Civ 5 crashing a while back myself, and it's pretty frustrating. The scenario is confirmed to be working correctly at this point, so it must be something going wrong on your end.
There is a ton of stuff playing out through the first few turns, so insufficient ram could be the case.

I don't know how much help I can be with this, so you're probably better off posting it as a topic in the tech support sub forum here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=409

Include any error messages you're getting with the crash too. Good luck.

I've been going through Danrell's new WWII units over the last couple days, and have compiled tech tree modifications, and stats for most of the German land units. Still missing AA units.

The amount of units is beginning to make unit balance difficult. So, if anyone wants to suggest adjustments on anything feel free to take a look through them and post recommendations. The spreadsheet has a column on the far right with a few notes listed to address some things that might be confusing.

There is a ton of stuff playing out through the first few turns, so insufficient ram could be the case.

I don't think this is the case, as my computer has 3 gigs of ram (which is probably slow ram) as well and it works fine.

concerning the French army's strength, here is a suggestion:
rhettrongun, maybe you could put a weak French army for the historic scenario, and the current one (actually, the true one) for the open setup scenario

concerning the French army's strength, here is a suggestion:
rhettrongun, maybe you could put a weak French army for the historic scenario, and the current one (actually, the true one) for the open setup scenario

Why? France *should* fall no matter what. since tactics dont do much for this game with AI then the french army must be weakened.

Hi :)
I had 6gb of ram but due to windows 7 32 bit could only use 3gb.
Today i have updated my system to win7 64 bit and it is working perfectly (the whole game is running now much much faster :]

This is the best ww2 scenario for civ5 i have played so far!

after 7 turns i conquest france and strip of great britain from they entire fleet :D

now preparing for mainland invasion and turkey and balkans conquest :]
there is tension on russian border but trying to keep them away as long as i can :]

I just spot one thing when playing germany:
it shows that i should have -178 gold each turn, but it is not taken after next turn in the end i just earn money after city is conquered but not loosing any money due to negative balance. not bad but it is a bug and if i could loose money game could be more intresting and difficult :]

THank You very much for this scenario! 10/10! :]

Hi :)
I had 6gb of ram but due to windows 7 32 bit could only use 3gb.
Today i have updated my system to win7 64 bit and it is working perfectly (the whole game is running now much much faster :]

This is the best ww2 scenario for civ5 i have played so far!

after 7 turns i conquest france and strip of great britain from they entire fleet :D

now preparing for mainland invasion and turkey and balkans conquest :]
there is tension on russian border but trying to keep them away as long as i can :]

I just spot one thing when playing germany:
it shows that i should have -178 gold each turn, but it is not taken after next turn in the end i just earn money after city is conquered but not loosing any money due to negative balance. not bad but it is a bug and if i could loose money game could be more intresting and difficult :]

THank You very much for this scenario! 10/10! :]

Glad to hear you got it to work/like the scenario.
On the income issue, it sounds like you're getting so much gold from sacking cities and defeating enemy units that it is negating the amount you're losing each turn. If that's true, it's not necessarily a bug. That's a bonus you get from having completed the honor policy branch. If you go a while without sacking another city or defeating many units the negative income should begin to impact your treasury.

The next version will be another big improvement thanks to the new unit graphics Danrell has created. I updated the unit sheet yesterday, so that is posted below if anyone wants to make suggestions.

Hi there rhettrongun!

First of all: This scenario is amazing! The best civ 5 scenario!!!
Second: It seems that the AI is too stupid to produce air-units. That is really pity. Is there a possibility to have buildings that autoproduce units like airplanes just like in many of the old civ III scenarios? This would be very nice, because the AI would always have airplanes etc. Then the war (for example) against the sovietunion wouldn´t be so easy after some time. I could also imagine buildings autoproducing carriers for japan or the US and so on.

champ123

Top Bottom