English Rifleman

bernie14

Filter Manipulator
here are the english colonial types...

two files, one containing mod, other containing blends

DOWNLOAD

wow, excellent job again !

They'll go nicely with R.E.D. Modpack, first anniversary version... If I manage to release it in time :D

Quick question: Can I use these files to change graphics of rifleman units without any other modification (or modpack) or these are just component files for modders and they won't work on their own? :crazyeye:

Quick question: Can I use these files to change graphics of rifleman units without any other modification (or modpack) or these are just component files for modders and they won't work on their own? :crazyeye:

two files, one containing mod, other containing blends

Short answer: Yes, but...

If you copy the "english rifleman (v1)" directory from the zip to your mods directory (and you probably want to clear your cache for good measure), and then activate it, it should make the rifleman an additional unique unit for England with the same stats as a regular rifleman.

However, because of the limitations of CiV, any other unit mods you have won't work. You can wait until someone includes it within a larger pack, like R.E.D. modpack or Hulfgar's Modpack, but of course those make other changes (lots of changes in the case of Hulfgar's).

<self-promotion>My Single Unit Graphics mod is basically an add-on to R.E.D. modpack, including support for all of the new units he adds, plus a few more from other mods, but making the opposite choice Gedemon does in R.E.D. Where he makes units into larger and more interesting formations at the cost of making the individual units smaller, I've made them larger and only represented by a single unit at the cost of immersion, and cutting out the variety that some units include.</self-promotion>

I planned to make a mod that doesn't make any changes to the vanilla sizing/formations, and just adds the new units, but I never got around to it.

Short answer: Yes, but...

If you copy the "english rifleman (v1)" directory from the zip to your mods directory (and you probably want to clear your cache for good measure), and then activate it, it should make the rifleman an additional unique unit for England with the same stats as a regular rifleman.

However, because of the limitations of CiV, any other unit mods you have won't work. You can wait until someone includes it within a larger pack, like R.E.D. modpack or Hulfgar's Modpack, but of course those make other changes (lots of changes in the case of Hulfgar's).

<self-promotion>My Single Unit Graphics mod is basically an add-on to R.E.D. modpack, including support for all of the new units he adds, plus a few more from other mods, but making the opposite choice Gedemon does in R.E.D. Where he makes units into larger and more interesting formations at the cost of making the individual units smaller, I've made them larger and only represented by a single unit at the cost of immersion, and cutting out the variety that some units include.</self-promotion>

I planned to make a mod that doesn't make any changes to the vanilla sizing/formations, and just adds the new units, but I never got around to it.

Thank you for answering Nutty. According to your answer making a new unit graphics (with animations etc.) is different type of work than just recoloring some textures (like trading posts). I was hoping to add these files to change texture of rifleman, that's why I got confused. If there is a way to change only textures of units, buildings without changing the mechanics of game like in the example, it'd be great.

Single Unit Graphic and R.E.D mods does not change anything else than unit models.

Thank you for answering Nutty. According to your answer making a new unit graphics (with animations etc.) is different type of work than just recoloring some textures (like trading posts). I was hoping to add these files to change texture of rifleman, that's why I got confused. If there is a way to change only textures of units, buildings without changing the mechanics of game like in the example, it'd be great.

Single Unit Graphic and R.E.D mods does not change anything else than unit models.

Right. Sorry, Khagan1, I guess I was not clear about what I meant by "changes." In the case of R.E.D., there are no changes to game mechanics. The stats for the unique ethnic units added are just copies of their vanilla counterparts.

Some of the units posted on this site are just revised textures, and some of the units have new models using existing animation, and a few have new models with new animations. You can manually overwrite unit textures if you like, but unlike with the trading posts, which require you to do so, units CAN be changed using the mod interface.

Right. Sorry, Khagan1, I guess I was not clear about what I meant by "changes." In the case of R.E.D., there are no changes to game mechanics. The stats for the unique ethnic units added are just copies of their vanilla counterparts.

Some of the units posted on this site are just revised textures, and some of the units have new models using existing animation, and a few have new models with new animations. You can manually overwrite unit textures if you like, but unlike with the trading posts, which require you to do so, units CAN be changed using the mod interface.

Thanks for clearing out that detail.

The reason that I prefer manually changing textures was that I didn't want to actually use 'mod'. I'm ok with the game as it is but i'd like to change colors and textures.

I thought there must be specific riflemen texture files for each civ since each of them already have different colors. So if I changed the new texture with the original one I'd have shiny english riflemen. But it didn't work out. When I downloaded the "English Riflemen" files (to just change how the original riflemen looks) I got confused with the folders and files.

I think I will stick with the R.E.D. modpack for now even if it's a complex modification to the game. (I don't care much for modern era units actually, for example)

And this project of yours is just same thing with R.E.D. modpack like Gedemon points it out.

I thought there must be specific riflemen texture files for each civ since each of them already have different colors.

As you correctly surmised, the color changes are automatic for the vanilla units.

I think I will stick with the R.E.D. modpack for now even if it's a complex modification to the game. (I don't care much for modern era units actually, for example)

Not complex, really. It's a set of quite simple modifications to change the appearance of units and formations (though from experience I know it's a long and tedious process to change every single possible unit and to try to achieve some consistency).

And this project of yours is just same thing with R.E.D. modpack like Gedemon points it out.

SUG doesn't even do that much, as it no longer adds any third-party ethnic units; it just supports those from R.E.D. and a few other mods, which allows them to be used simultaneously (otherwise the last such mod would control), and makes them match the single unit sizing I've adopted, but only if they've been activated separately.

However, because of the limitations of CiV, any other unit mods you have won't work.
it sounds like the game is broken in this aspect.
if i have say 2 unit mods, and switch on both, which one will be working?

it sounds like the game is broken in this aspect.
if i have say 2 unit mods, and switch on both, which one will be working?

This conversation really ought to be somewhere else.

Anyway, it's certainly not ideal. The answer to your question is the last unit mod to be activated should be the one that works properly (though you may have to manually delete your cache first).

The problem is that the way the Civ5ArtDefines_*.xml files are called. Unlike some of the other XML files, you cannot simply specify the entries changed by the mod. It will only fill the database from one file's entries, so the XMLs must contain all the vanilla entries as well as all of the changes required; that's why the last file controls.

On the other hand, the files that activate the new units are separate XML or SQL files, so the units from the other mods will be added to the game, but because there is no reference to the art, they will either appear as spearman or will be invisible. The stats/name/icon of these units should otherwise be correct, however.

The art from all the separate unit mods is still imported into the game even if it's not referenced correctly, so the solution is that the last unit mod activated should include the references of all the other unit mods you activate in its Civ5ArtDefines_*.xml files. You could certainly make a simple mod for yourself that consists only of 2 files (Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml and Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers.xml), merging the changes from your particular combination of unit mods.

Realize, however, that if you're simply downloading the units posted in this section of the forum, even if they include a mod (which many don't), they may only be set up to test the unit. I know Bernie's mods, at least, should behave as expected in-game.

fixed legs

Top Bottom