Unofficial BTS 3.13 patch

i have just installed BtS and then the 3.13 patch
whenever i attempt to start any game, it exits on me before getting to the loading screen
i tried playing without the patch and it works fine
any ideas why this happens for me?

i have just installed BtS and then the 3.13 patch
whenever i attempt to start any game, it exits on me before getting to the loading screen
i tried playing without the patch and it works fine
any ideas why this happens for me?

Perhaps it will be easier for people to help you if you can attach any error message that BtS generate before it kick you back to Desktop after you install 3.13? And do you mean the official 3.13 or the unofficial 3.13? :)

This may or may not be a bug, but I could have sworn that in Vanilla and Warlods Lumbermills got the river commerce bonus. Did they change this for some reason in 3.13 or BTS? I'm using your patch Bhruic. Example below, center of screen.

This may or may not be a bug, but I could have sworn that in Vanilla and Warlods Lumbermills got the river commerce bonus.

And you would be right. Furthermore, they still do in BTS ... with the exception of lumbermills on the outside of a river bend (see image below)! Looks like bug to me.

Attachments

• lumbermill.jpg
    lumbermill.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 134
Renditelitan

Unless my eyes deceive me this is a tundra tile.

For tundra the Civilopedia says: +1 :commerce: adjacent to river

In which case, since there is no :commerce: shown, it does look like a bug.

Getting back to the "Blessed Sea" quest -- I was not able to get it to trigger using iNumGlobalUnits = 1. Was anyone else able to get it to work? If not, maybe Bhruic's proposed solution was the best way to go...?

They deceive, as I'm using Blue Marble, Tundra is the terrain immediately above the center tile.

Looking over the CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml files, IMPROVEMENT_LUMBERMILL in both Vanilla and BTS are the same except for the BTS added Advanced Start information. I've searched through most of the xml and some of the python, but I can't find the point where this changes from the prior coding.

grumbler found the pinpointed problem here. Only the corner tiles, tis weird.

Rivers have always been strange like this - especially on river bends as was already pointed out. On river bends you also cannot contruct watermills as they can only be built on straight river tiles. I suspect the same kind of weirdness is applying here.

This may or may not be a bug, but I could have sworn that in Vanilla and Warlods Lumbermills got the river commerce bonus. Did they change this for some reason in 3.13 or BTS? I'm using your patch Bhruic. Example below, center of screen.
I'd argue not a bug. Rivers run "between" tiles, not through them. There are four sides to a tile and in the cases in question, there are no rivers adjacent to any of the the four respective sides of the tiles.

I don't think I can buy that argument. If that tile wasn't a hill, and a cottage were constructed there, that tile would get the +1 commerce from being adjacent to a river. It should get it from the Lumbermill too.

Bh

I don't think I can buy that argument. If that tile wasn't a hill, and a cottage were constructed there, that tile would get the +1 commerce from being adjacent to a river. It should get it from the Lumbermill too.

Bh

I'd agree. The same holds true for farms and workshops btw, both get the +1 commerce.

edit: I'm also kind of curious what's causing this behaviour on the programming side. It seems odd that the check for additional commerce from the river tile gets handled differently for lumbermills than for the other improvements.

Does the hill cause this effect?

At the moment I cannot recall if lumbermills on hills did get the river bonus in previous versions.

Not sure if this is a bug or what, but using BtS 3.13 with your path (just realized I need to get the updated version of it, but didn't see anything in the change log to indicate that this was fixed or not) - whenever I get into communications with an AI leader, the screen stops rendering (total black) everything else on the game screen: terrain, cities, units, etc. Just see black.

Should this be happening?

The only lumbermill in that screen is not on a river tile. it is on a tile that is before the river starts. come on, guys.

The only lumbermill in that screen is not on a river tile. it is on a tile that is before the river starts. come on, guys.

You're probably not looking closely enough. The river bend is a bit hard to see through the forest. But you can clearly see the river further on where there is a watermill on the riverbank.

The second screenshot is a bit more clear.

By the way. I also think that lumbermills just like any other improvement should get the commerce bonus on river bends.

yeah i see the bend, however that square is not a river square. if it was not a hill, could you build a watermill there? No, you could not. That is my rule of thumb to tell if the game thinks it is a river square. PS-in either screen.

I should be saying a "commerce generating river square". Yes this is a "river" square for Trade route connection purposes, but not a river square as i described above. yeah maybe it should get the bonus, but it never has, any version, any patch.

yeah i see the bend, however that square is not a river square. if it was not a hill, could you build a watermill there? No, you could not. That is my rule of thumb to tell if the game thinks it is a river square. PS-in either screen.

Only problem with that rule of thumb is that it is completely wrong. :D Watermills are the exception to the rule, not the be all. River elbows receive commerce from all other tile improvements and also part provide fresh water. In Warlords, even a bend at a delta, through popular request, was given fresh water. Which means that it now gets the commerce bonus as well. So, the rule of thumb should be: If the square receives fresh water from a river, then it is a river square. Thus, in this situation, a river square with a lumbermill is not receiving its commerce bonus for being a river square and should be considered a bug.

Watermills only go on "straight" river squares, not bends, and even then only if there is not already a watermill on the other side of the river.

River squares on bends, like in the image, should indeed get the +1 commerce, as well as fresh water.

Wodan

Top Bottom